Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 122

Thread: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-11-12 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    The crucial foundational pillar of a genuine Democratic society is the content of one's pants
    I think youre confusing a genuine democratic society with incontinence, but thats a common error for many people in some places

  2. #112
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    People are missing the point here, she wasn't elected because of her sexuality, the fact that this is historic is because this is the first time an openly gay woman has been able to run on her beliefs, and have the voters vote her in because they agreed with her beliefs and the fact that she is gay did not hinder her ability to successfully run for office. It is a sign of social progress and should be celebrated as such.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-11-12 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It is a sign of social progress and should be celebrated as such.
    I think many are missing the point that it will be a sign of real social progress when we reach the point where the majority answer "So what?"

    To me this isnt an issue & to me it shouldnt be an issue, but the fact that some are trying to make it an issue (from any side) means theres a way to go before theres real social progress.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    People are missing the point here, she wasn't elected because of her sexuality, the fact that this is historic is because this is the first time an openly gay woman has been able to run on her beliefs, and have the voters vote her in because they agreed with her beliefs and the fact that she is gay did not hinder her ability to successfully run for office. It is a sign of social progress and should be celebrated as such.
    .....yeah either that or she rode Obama's coattails since she had the requisite party identification. I guess we will know in 6 years when she will have to win in an off-year election.

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Austin View Post
    I think many are missing the point that it will be a sign of real social progress when we reach the point where the majority answer "So what?"

    To me this isnt an issue & to me it shouldnt be an issue, but the fact that some are trying to make it an issue (from any side) means theres a way to go before theres real social progress.
    But we don't get to the "So what?" points without these moments, these moments are pathways to true equality.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #116
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Austin View Post
    You want me to name every aetheist politician past & present? What a ridiculous demand considering a) Not everyone publicises their beliefs b) the massive volume we're talking about, & c) I dont make a habit of studying the historical belief structure of political figures, but what I will do is give you a couple of examples that Im aware of (one from each side).

    Charles Beaird - A prominent Republican, well known for his seconding speech at the 1956 RNC

    Peter Stark - A Democrat, who is one of the most senior members of congress (or was, someone would have to tell me if he's still serving)

    & just because Im kind that way Ill throw in Jesse Ventura for free, because its always good to add a tights wearing wrestler to every political list.
    ....very well, name just a few dozen

    (didnt know that about Jesse - thanks for that one)
    Last edited by Klown; 11-11-12 at 08:32 AM.

  7. #117
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Austin View Post
    I think youre confusing a genuine democratic society with incontinence, but thats a common error for many people in some places
    ...that may be the case, but more importantly didnt Peter Stark play drums in the Beetles?

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-11-12 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But we don't get to the "So what?" points without these moments
    I disagree, we dont get to "so what?" until we let go of these moments.

    There will always be moments like this, moments to hang on to, & they wont stop until we reach "So what?" (of course at that point they will still continue but we wont be looking anymore).

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Austin View Post
    I disagree, we dont get to "so what?" until we let go of these moments.

    There will always be moments like this, moments to hang on to, & they wont stop until we reach "So what?" (of course at that point they will still continue but we wont be looking anymore).
    The thing is that LGBT people in this country are still not treated equally under the law, so we can't really ignore these moments otherwise we won't ever get progress.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-11-12 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: First Openly Gay Senator Elected

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    The thing is that LGBT people in this country are still not treated equally under the law, so we can't really ignore these moments otherwise we won't ever get progress.
    One doesnt follow the other, in fact it can be argued that one precludes the other.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •