Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 324

Thread: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

  1. #261
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Why should something not matter simply because it doesn't fix every problem? Or even just not the problems you personally care about. There's a lot of couples in this country, of consenting adults who love one another, who want to marry but can't. Why is their plight so irrelevant?
    Uh, because he's not gay. There are many issues that affect small groups of people that most others don't care about. For instance, do you care if my retirement plan is suddenly changed during my last year in the Marine Corps? Probably not. But it means a lot to me.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #262
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,036

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    First cousins should be allowed to get married. They are not normally raised together, so no intimate relationship aversion should be expected to result and there increased risk for genetic problems for first generation first cousins' offspring only increases from the average couple about 2%, which isn't that significant (the average couple has about a 2% risk of genetic problems, first cousins is about 4%).

    I predict that this will very likely be the next fight for marriage we see and it probably won't even be that big. I'm willing to bet that there will be very few who are actually against this, at least compared to other types of relationships and their fights (interracial, same sex, more than 2, siblings). Heck, Sarah and Abraham of the Bible were married and they were half-siblings. More states now allow first cousins to get married than those that allow same sex couples to marry.
    All of my first cousins are male... and Tigger? *shakes head* jeez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #263
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Well, the genetic abnormality wasn't my argument against it. I was simply responding to the comment that it doesn't create genetic abnormalities.
    Well then what is your argument against it, and how does it vary from same sex marriage in principle?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  4. #264
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Well its over as far as the vote goes.....Now we have to see what happens in the courts...............

    UPDATE - 2:04 PM

    Same-sex-marriage opponents concede in Washington



    Local News | Seattle Times Newspaper
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #265
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Now we have to see what happens in the courts...............
    Surely you don't mean to say that opponents of gay marriage should sue to stop this, do you?

    Baw-baw-bawt I thought you hated activist judges, legislatin' from the bench?
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  6. #266
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Surely you don't mean to say that opponents of gay marriage should sue to stop this, do you?

    Baw-baw-bawt I thought you hated activist judges, legislatin' from the bench?
    Whatever the SCOTUS decides is good enough for me.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  7. #267
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Uh, because he's not gay. There are many issues that affect small groups of people that most others don't care about. For instance, do you care if my retirement plan is suddenly changed during my last year in the Marine Corps? Probably not. But it means a lot to me.
    But that doesn't mean we should trivialize it just because it doesn't affect us. I'm white and comfortably middle class. Most of the problems facing poor black families won't affect me. I should still care about those issues, though. And I do care if your retirement plan gets screwed over. We should work to improve everything, not just our personal issues.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #268
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    11-09-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    I believe that everyone should have freedom of choice whether I agree with those choices or not. It is not all about me or any one person.

  9. #269
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,831

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Not true...The SCOTUS does not like to interfere in states rights.........Constitutional amendments are much harder to break then DOMA............DOMA has already been overturned in 6 states.

    On a side note the last activist judge in Iowa who approved SSM was voted out last night..........
    Where do you get your 'news'? Because most of the time it seems to be flat out wrong

    Iowa Retains Judge Who Opposed Gay Marriage Ban
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  10. #270
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I don't currently see any significant movement for plural marriage.
    There's no reason for there to be. There is no real legal opposition to it in most states. You can do it now, almost everywhere.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •