Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 324

Thread: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

  1. #181
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Just wait till the first gay divorce and the wife gets everything.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #182
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post

    This is GREAT time to get into the gay wedding planning business.
    I've talked to a few colleagues of mine who own restaurants,catering companies and banquet halls in the Washington area and they are ecstatic at their state passing SSM.
    Lucky bastards.
    Maybe I'll expand my company into the Washington area and tap into that market.I have a feeling a lot a gay couples will be rushing into Washington to get married,and I want them to hold their weddings in my banquet halls,I want to cater their weddings,and I want them to have their receptions in my fine dining restaurants.

    My company's average on wedding catering is $10,000 per wedding.I have no problem with adding a few hundred thousand to a million plus dollars a year income because of gay weddings.

  3. #183
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I get more and more disgusted with the idea that MORALITY and VALUES are not the defining characteristics of this nation's society and government.
    Quit with the bullcrap, Tigger, and say "MORALITY and VALUES as I DEFINE THEM".
    I think allowing gays to marry is a very MORAL thing to do,and is consistent to MY VALUES.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Just like every other "equality" movement other than the racial one, this movement seeks to destroy thousands of years of perfectly good societal norms without showing any significant advantage to the society as a whole.
    And we all know what your views on "gender equality" are,Tigger.
    You've made it quite know throughout DebatePolitics.com.
    Your argument is only valid if gay marriage prevents straight people from getting married.

    Care to explain how two people of the same gender getting married effects the marriage of straight people like me and my wife?
    Because I for the life of me can't see any way possible that it can effect my marriage to Selena.

  4. #184
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Not at the Federal level.............Just like dope.
    It's not like dope. Where is the federal law banning marriage equality?

  5. #185
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I get more and more disgusted with the idea that MORALITY and VALUES are not the defining characteristics of this nation's society and government. Just like every other "equality" movement other than the racial one, this movement seeks to destroy thousands of years of perfectly good societal norms without showing any significant advantage to the society as a whole.
    preview.frkDQuhAebOM5W6d_500.jpg

    OMG IT'S AGAINST THE NORM!

    SOCIETY WILL BE DESTROYED!

    I absolutely love it when anti-gay folks cry about humanity being destroyed by gay marriage. It doesn't affect you in the slightest. Guess what happens when gay people are allowed to get married?
     
    gay people get married


    I know, shocking isn't it? Hell doesn't freeze over, our community isn't going to die. It is a significant advantage for society as a whole because it's a huge step towards equality and helps shape society's perception. People often say that we're "forcing" gay marriage and LGBT equality on others, and the way I see it, YES WE ARE! We are forcing it on you! Guess what else we forced on traditionalists? The end of slavery, the civil rights movement, and even the women's rights movement. Sometimes people need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy. I just love this.

    I love it, I love it, I love it! Tigger, your anti-gay tears are just delicious!


  6. #186
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 09:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    579

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    10 years from now, either the entire nation will have ssm or at least all the blue states will. Either way, this is a great day for our community.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    And we all know what your views on "gender equality" are,Tigger. You've made it quite know throughout DebatePolitics.com.
    Your argument is only valid if gay marriage prevents straight people from getting married.

    Care to explain how two people of the same gender getting married effects the marriage of straight people like me and my wife?
    Because I for the life of me can't see any way possible that it can effect my marriage to Selena.
    It devalues the entire concept of Marriage for individuals who should not be allowed to marry to do so. It turns the entire concept into a charade and a side-show; nothing more. I actually have no problem with "civil unions". So far as I'm concerned, the courts can allow any number of people, animals, plants. etc... to be united in a legal contract. HOWEVER, the word "marriage" has historically indicated a religious and social union beyond simply a legal one. That is where I have a problem. This is the first step towards individuals attempting to force other people to find SSM and homosexual activities LEGAL, but socially acceptable, and that is a major step in the wrong direction so far as I'm concerned.

    SEE THE POST BELOW FOR PROOF OF THAT....


    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    I absolutely love it when anti-gay folks cry about humanity being destroyed by gay marriage. It doesn't affect you in the slightest. Guess what happens when gay people are allowed to get married?

    I know, shocking isn't it? Hell doesn't freeze over, our community isn't going to die. It is a significant advantage for society as a whole because it's a huge step towards equality and helps shape society's perception. People often say that we're "forcing" gay marriage and LGBT equality on others, and the way I see it, YES WE ARE! We are forcing it on you! Guess what else we forced on traditionalists? The end of slavery, the civil rights movement, and even the women's rights movement. Sometimes people need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy. I just love this.
    No, it's a step towards SAMENESS, not Equality. It's the same problem that we have with the Feminist movement. That is, the unwillingness for society to accept in this day and age that some things are RIGHT and some things are WRONG, regardless of whatever emotional garbage you use to try and support it. When one accepts that something which is inherently WRONG is now RIGHT, the entire system gets thrown out of whack. Why do you think Western Society has been headed towards the toilet drain of history for the last Century? Mostly because we no longer accept that RIGHT and WRONG are immutable concepts.

  8. #188
    Educator

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jordan
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 06:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,220

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    That is great news, hopefully the gay rights movement in the United States moving forward will help LGBT communities around the world move forward as well. Maybe even homosexuality would be decriminalized in the country am living in during my own lifetime. ;D

    You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard "even Americans disapproves of gay marriage/rights" when trying to argue for gay rights in my country.
    مثلي مثلك

  9. #189
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 09:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    579

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    ...because we no longer accept that RIGHT and WRONG are immutable concepts.
    That is what is so silly about your posts, they never were immutable concepts not now, not during the Roman republic, not during Egyptian empire, etc. Humans have always had differing opinions on what is right or wrong, at no point was there ever worldwide consensus. This country was founded on compromise because our founding fathers couldn't agree on things.

    Whoever sold you this fairy tale that things were ever the way you think they were in the past, did you a great disservice.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by hikari View Post
    That is what is so silly about your posts, they never were immutable concepts not now, not during the Roman republic, not during Egyptian empire, etc. Humans have always had differing opinions on what is right or wrong, at no point was there ever worldwide consensus. This country was founded on compromise because our founding fathers couldn't agree on things.

    Whoever sold you this fairy tale that things were ever the way you think they were in the past, did you a great disservice.
    They have been that way in my family for more than 300 years on this continent. That's really all that matters, so far as I'm concerned. My lineage and ancestory is made up of families that had very similar beliefs, and as they came together they grew in strength and numbers because they knew the difference between Right and Wrong.

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •