Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 350

Thread: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    We're expecting it to come in on Monday night here in Massachusetts. I guess today I'll be cleaning up the yard to prepare! I'm hoping it'll be no big deal, like usual.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The media tries to make everything a panic.
    They are talking 40 mph winds. That is not OMG! OMG! like they make it to be. Just a rainy, windy day and little more. The only thing that'd mean around here is the sailboats don't go out.
    They do always make a big deal out of it, but better safe than sorry I guess.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Oh, they changed the forecast since last time I saw it. Now they say from noontime on Monday until midnight. Usually by the time these storms make it to my area, they have weakened significantly. I'm hopeful that happens this time too. I am most concerned with losing power. Last time we lost power for 3 days. That sucked.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Oh, they changed the forecast since last time I saw it. Now they say from noontime on Monday until midnight. Usually by the time these storms make it to my area, they have weakened significantly. I'm hopeful that happens this time too. I am most concerned with losing power. Last time we lost power for 3 days. That sucked.
    Chris, I'm not sure who you have as an select tic provider but I know NGRID is saying be prepared for a 3-5 day outage possibly.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Chris, I'm not sure who you have as an select tic provider but I know NGRID is saying be prepared for a 3-5 day outage possibly.
    That's terrible news. Well, I already have my batteries, candles, ice for my cooler, so I'm as ready as I can be.

    I think the problem is that National Grid is TOO big and has too big of an area to cover. I used to live in a town that had it's own nonprofit electric company. Not only was my electric bill a third of what it costs with National Grid, but we NEVER had problems like this with power outages.

  6. #36
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    I guess I am a bit jaded from living on the gulf coast.
    About 3 times each season the weather guys hype everything up. "head for the hills, this is going to be a bad one."
    A person's hurricane kit should look a lot like their blizzard kit.
    extra food, extra water, backup power, are your trees trimmed?
    Get all the loose stuff out of the yard.
    The real key is preparation, and knowing if and when you should leave.
    The phrase "run from the water shelter from the wind" is very true.
    If someone is in a storm surge area, make plans to be elsewhere.

    If this hits say the New Jersey shore, they can expect up to 80MPH winds from the north for 4 hours, calm,
    and about 70 mph winds from the south for 4 hours.
    Let's just prey it only bothers the fish!
    That hype costs lives because people get where they pay no attention. It's the same here with ice and snow. They predict it so often when it doesn't happen that when it does happen people get stranded and are completely unprepared because they don't listen.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  7. #37
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I figure personal attacks is all you have because your argument is still off topic and has no substance at all.
    I'll take that as a yes, and give you bonus points for extreme hypocrisy.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's terrible news. Well, I already have my batteries, candles, ice for my cooler, so I'm as ready as I can be.
    Good. Everything buttoned down outside the home as well, I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I think the problem is that National Grid is TOO big and has too big of an area to cover. I used to live in a town that had it's own nonprofit electric company. Not only was my electric bill a third of what it costs with National Grid, but we NEVER had problems like this with power outages.
    Municipal Electric Companies have a much easier time doing restoration because they have a much smaller area to cover. NGRID has more than 1.5 million customers over a very wide area.... All of Rhode Island, Most of Massachusetts, and a small area of New Hampshire.

    Here's a bit of a primer on how and why outage restoration occurs the way it does....

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/off-to...r-outages.html

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    That hype costs lives because people get where they pay no attention. It's the same here with ice and snow. They predict it so often when it doesn't happen that when it does happen people get stranded and are completely unprepared because they don't listen.
    First off, if they aren't paying attention to the weather channels, and things like that, they get what they deserve. I have less than no sympathy for people who either don't listen to the news/weather or who ignore it. Probably because I work for a Utility Company. When you're all sitting at home whining that you don't have power, I'm at work trying to get your power back to you. Whether I want to be here or not.

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That hands down is some of the most lame brained partisan crap I have heard in a long ass time.
    You mean more lame-brained partisan crap than this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I wonder what the liberals would be saying right now if it were headed for Texas? "Must be an act of God!"
    I mean this is a thread about a bad storm that may hit the east coast and you turn it into some stupid ass political bull****. Moronic at best, total and absolute failure of a post at worst.
    I'll agree if you apply your crit to both posts.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •