Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 350

Thread: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

  1. #301
    Educator Uzidoesit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    820

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You have no clue how power lines work. Do you?
    I know very little about it, truth be told. I can maybe change a switchplate in my home without getting electrocuted. I can check the fusebox. Since I am left-handed, I break lots of things, anyway. That being said, I have watched enough news coverage and have seen lots of utility guys working out on the lines, the poles, etc., and what I notice the most, is how careful they are. They don't rush and they seem to be very methodical and logical and do their work step-by-step. It's not like say, running a cash register or even say, writing a dissertation. Lives are on the line, and everyone is extremely careful.

    I know that decent people everywhere want to help whereever they can and they are. There was some kind of miscommunication and actually, there was one isolated problem that was quickly rectified.

    I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire

    When you make your peace with authority, you become an authority.- Jim Morrison

  2. #302
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzidoesit View Post
    I know very little about it, truth be told. I can maybe change a switchplate in my home without getting electrocuted. I can check the fusebox. Since I am left-handed, I break lots of things, anyway. That being said, I have watched enough news coverage and have seen lots of utility guys working out on the lines, the poles, etc., and what I notice the most, is how careful they are. They don't rush and they seem to be very methodical and logical and do their work step-by-step. It's not like say, running a cash register or even say, writing a dissertation. Lives are on the line, and everyone is extremely careful.

    I know that decent people everywhere want to help whereever they can and they are. There was some kind of miscommunication and actually, there was one isolated problem that was quickly rectified.
    I can tell!

    The guys that are non-union, that you don't want getting your lights turned back on are linemen, who aren't even going to touch your house. There's nothing wrong with the wiring in your house. The problem exists on the opposite side of the breaker box from your house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #303
    Educator Uzidoesit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    820

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Actually, in Pennsylvania two women, a mother and daughter 95 and 64 years of age. were killed when the power in their house got turned back on and the fusebox in the house exploded and they died trying to put the fire out with a water hose.

    Sad...and it was a horrible accident, for sure.

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...G-7YeTEa0bQ9Vw

    I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire

    When you make your peace with authority, you become an authority.- Jim Morrison

  4. #304
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzidoesit View Post
    Actually, in Pennsylvania two women, a mother and daughter 95 and 64 years of age. were killed when the power in their house got turned back on and the fusebox in the house exploded and they died trying to put the fire out with a water hose.

    Sad...and it was a horrible accident, for sure.

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...G-7YeTEa0bQ9Vw
    Where did you get this part of the story? It was not quoted in your link nor these:

    2 Dead After Bucks County House Fire CBS Philly
    2 dead after suburban Philly house fire
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    I'm going to throw my two cents in here.... Since I am currently sitting in an Electric Utility Company operations center, and have been for more hours than most people would really like to think about over the last week.

    The vast majority of the linemen you see out there putting things back together ARE Union members. The non-union contractor crews we bring in to help are required to follow all company and Union safety rules while they are working for us. However, they only work on the electric system outside of the house. Most of the time only up to the point where your service attaches to the house (which we call a weatherhead), not even to the meter. Anything beyond that is worked on by an electrician, who may or may not be a union member but who is required to have a state certification.

    What you folks never get to see is all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes to put the power back on. All of us who work in the offices; directing the crews to the biggest outages and places where they can do the most good in the shortest period of time, making sure they get fed, housed, and properly equipped while keeping them safe. For every lineman out there, there is probably at least one of us sitting inside trying to direct the action; doing everything from printing maps, directing switching operations, feeding and housing outside crews, etc.... It's not as easy as it looks to get the power back on.

  6. #306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Thanks. Dumbest, and funniest thing I've read here today.

    In all seriousness, you wouldn't care who was getting your power back on if it'd been off for 5 days and freezing temperatures were forecast over the next day or two. You'd be damn happy somebody was trying to help.

    Actually, no. You see, I actually lived in the area this hit growing up, and my grandfather used to be one of those people you are whining about. I thought like you do when i was a spoiled child. We got hit by a October snowstorm, and anyone in NY knows that big snowstorms in october are terrible because wet snow and trees with leaves means tons of power outages and downed trees. After a week of showering at my grandparents house and dealing with all the crap I snapped and cursed out the power company in front of him. this is because we knew what the problem was and it seemed simple to fix. My grandfather let me know it is not as simple as you would think. They have to check the lines for breaks, and if they activate an area with a huge short they could cause more damage in places they have fixed.

    So yes it is important that the non-union workers from outside organize with the union workers inside the state and work with them and not on their own. Sorry you have no idea how things work, but this is not a bunch of monkey working on the problem, and there needs to be an order and organization to how it is done. I understand you want power back now, but you don't just send power down lines you have not repaired and checked. you also do not have people working in places you don't know because that is a great way to fry someone.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I live in the Northeast and have been watching the news and have heard nothing about that. Got a link to that story?
    I don't have a link, but i have seen the stories and it also does not surprise me. food stores have the responsibility to not sell foods that have lost refrigeration and might be spoiled. They legally cannot sell it once it has reached a certain temp for a certain period of time as per the health codes. they have to throw it away, and they have to get it away from other foods it could contaminate so they have to put it into the dumpsters. In all honesty wrapped food in dumpsters being dumped in volume due to health regulations is not terribly unhealthy. health regulations are set high but that food has not spoiled yet. They cannot sell it because they would have liability if people got sick, but if people take it from the dumpster they do not have liability.

    I used to know people who worked for dunkin donuts in the area and they would bring their unsold donuts out for shelter pickups at night. otherwise all those donuts would be dumped in the garbage despite being edible for at least 2 days.

    So dumpster diving for food is not as destitute as it sounds. the likelihood is the dumpsters were cleared before the storm to limit build up, and that the food is on top and wrapped. This is not picking through dumpsters for a half an eaten sandwich, they are probably pulling out wrapped meat which can be cooked, bread which may last a couple of days, and things like that.

  8. #308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    To my understanding all electricians in the US are required to comply to licensing requirements linked to the National electric code, union membership is not a factor except in which jobs you can work.
    Some type of jobs are union only.
    I think the Texas line crews are union.
    The situation is not about that. In this case the unions make sure certain worker safety regulations are met. they also organize the efforts to allow for proper rest so workers don't make mistakes. they also provide health benefits and insurance in case someone is injured doing the work. It is great that they want to help, but it is also good to have the union making sure that they are safe doing it, and that if they are injured helping that they are covered. The unions are trying to make sure that the people who are helping are not hurt or left out if they are in need. it simply is not sinister.

  9. #309
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,557

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Actually, no. You see, I actually lived in the area this hit growing up, and my grandfather used to be one of those people you are whining about. I thought like you do when i was a spoiled child. We got hit by a October snowstorm, and anyone in NY knows that big snowstorms in october are terrible because wet snow and trees with leaves means tons of power outages and downed trees. After a week of showering at my grandparents house and dealing with all the crap I snapped and cursed out the power company in front of him. this is because we knew what the problem was and it seemed simple to fix. My grandfather let me know it is not as simple as you would think. They have to check the lines for breaks, and if they activate an area with a huge short they could cause more damage in places they have fixed.

    So yes it is important that the non-union workers from outside organize with the union workers inside the state and work with them and not on their own. Sorry you have no idea how things work, but this is not a bunch of monkey working on the problem, and there needs to be an order and organization to how it is done. I understand you want power back now, but you don't just send power down lines you have not repaired and checked. you also do not have people working in places you don't know because that is a great way to fry someone.

    You have MASSIVE reading comprehension problems don't you? The obvious answer is yes, in case you don't understand that comment/question either.

    I never said anything about allowing unskilled and unqualified people manage and oversee the rebuilding of the electrical infrastructure.

    Don't read crap into something I've posted that was never there to begin with.

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: 'Frankenstorm' Headed to Region

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    In this case the unions make sure certain worker safety regulations are met.
    I thought that was OSHA's responsibility...

    they also organize the efforts to allow for proper rest so workers don't make mistakes.
    I thought that was DOL's responsibility...

    they also provide health benefits and insurance in case someone is injured doing the work.
    Don't private companies provide similar 'health benefits and insurance' as required by individual State workers compensation laws?

    It is great that they want to help, but it is also good to have the union making sure that they are safe doing it, and that if they are injured helping that they are covered. The unions are trying to make sure that the people who are helping are not hurt or left out if they are in need. it simply is not sinister.
    Do you REALLY believe that those utility companies who are non-union are less sensitive to their folks being hurt or left out if they are in need or are sinister?

    ...pathetic
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •