Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Lots of people have no brains in their twenties, so maybe we should raise the age to 30. Don't take offense.

    Slippery slope. I didn't say anything about raising the age to 30.

    However, I DO think there ought to be a legal age for buying a handgun.... right? Can't let 8yo's walk into the gunshop and plunk down the cash for a POS HiPoint 9, right?

    Any age we set will be somewhat arbitrary.

    18 makes a certain amount of sense, as this is the age of legal responsibility, and the right to freely contract, marry, enlist, etc.

    21 also makes a certain amount of sense, as this is approximately the point when scientific studies say the brain is near to full development.

    All I did was lay out a few points regarding each of those possible choices... didn't say I was firmly in support of A or B, in fact I said I was undecided.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #22
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,654

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Lots of people have no brains in their twenties, so maybe we should raise the age to 30. Don't take offense.
    You could well have stopped at "Lots of people have no brains" and left off all that other stuff.

  3. #23
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Slippery slope. I didn't say anything about raising the age to 30.

    However, I DO think there ought to be a legal age for buying a handgun.... right? Can't let 8yo's walk into the gunshop and plunk down the cash for a POS HiPoint 9, right?

    Any age we set will be somewhat arbitrary.

    18 makes a certain amount of sense, as this is the age of legal responsibility, and the right to freely contract, marry, enlist, etc.

    21 also makes a certain amount of sense, as this is approximately the point when scientific studies say the brain is near to full development.

    All I did was lay out a few points regarding each of those possible choices... didn't say I was firmly in support of A or B, in fact I said I was undecided.
    Go your sense of humor turned off today, Goshin?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Go your sense of humor turned off today, Goshin?
    Meh. The partisan hackery around here is nose-deep and rising, and it's been getting to me a bit lately. Not talking about your reply, here, I mean in general.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #25
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Thought this would be of interest to the gun rights activits. The first reaction I'm sure will be, "this is why we need to elect Mitt Romney." Well ... note that the opinion's author was a George W. Bush appointee....

    And the 5th Circuit is one of the most conservative Courts in the country.
    The title of the thread is untrue and misleading.

    Long gun sales from FFL to 18 year olds is completely legal. In some states Individuals selling handguns to those believed to be non-criminal under the age of 18 is legal as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,757

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Man can serve his country at 18, but can't buy a gun. The sad part is how giddy you are about disarming people and infringing on the 2nd Amendment. Militia age is 18-45.
    The member of the State Legislature I work for in the State Capital here in Michigan is a veteran and a gun owner. A constituent wrote him last year complaining that his 19 year old son in the military could not get a weapons permit in civilian capacity when he was home. We consulted with the NRA and had two meetings with their legislative field liasons. We agreed on language which would remedy this and allow active duty military people from the ages of 18 - 20 to get their appropriate legal permissions and licenses to have a weapon when home.

    Long story short - the bill was killed when the NRA was angry about other votes on other gun bills that most Democrats voted for so they pulled their support of ALL DEMOCRATIC backed bills including this one. And the worst part of it was the Rep I work for voted the NRA supported way on those other bills.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Thought this would be of interest to the gun rights activits. The first reaction I'm sure will be, "this is why we need to elect Mitt Romney." Well ... note that the opinion's author was a George W. Bush appointee....

    And the 5th Circuit is one of the most conservative Courts in the country.
    I wasn't aware anyone had challenged the age limit. 21 is fine imo, though I would like to see an exception for active military.

  8. #28
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Man can serve his country at 18, but can't buy a gun. The sad part is how giddy you are about disarming people and infringing on the 2nd Amendment. Militia age is 18-45.
    Same said 18 year old man is intrusted by the very government resticticting his personael rights to carry, with fully automatic rifles, greandes, rockets, Tanks ect. Yep very senseble law.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #29
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    It's not that I'm offended or anything.

    But is it entirely nessecary for you to label every single type of person you disagree with as a "tard" in one form or another.
    I like Eike. Too bad he's dead. He made a fine president.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  10. #30
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Fifth Circuit Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to People Under 21

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    I like Eike. Too bad he's dead. He made a fine president.
    Learn how to spell. It's Ike.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •