Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 673

Thread: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It may be a consistent application of logic, but that doesn't mean I ought not call it for what it is. Logic consistently applied leads to horrible results.
    So...not going to answer my initial question in the first line of the post?

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, God intended it | Reuters



    Honestly, I think it is a reasonable and somewhat consistent position, although I don't agree with it. From the standpoint of someone trying to get elected in a close race with an unusually strong Libertarian candidate to splinter the Republican vote, it was just a stupid thing to say though. If it plays anything like Todd Akin's comment did, Joe Donnelly will take the senate seat from the Republicans in Indiana. I'd pretty much given up hope for the Republicans to take the senate this year anyway. Things looking very good for the GOP in 2014 though.
    It is consistent with a POV that opposes abortion rights -- and it shows the supreme idiocy of that POV quite nicely.

    I wonder how many anti-abortion types are squirming over this and Akin's remarks?

  3. #73
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    In my opinion, it's still inappropriate for another person to say that something as tragic as this is part of God's plan.
    Oh, I don't disagree. I'm sure something like that could get you punched square in the face. Hell, I WOULD possibly punch someone square in the face in the right situtaion for that. It's amazingly stupid politically. It's a relatively tactless method of expressing the general thought process. I'm not going to sit here and deny any of those things becuase I agree with them, and have even said as much earlier in this post.

    That still doesn't make it "disgusting" in my mind or "unreasonable" as a general thought process.

  4. #74
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As such...if you subscribe to such a thought, it's actually more disturbing to me if you believe that a woman meeting a man, falling in love, and having a child is "gods plan" but somehow something bad happening is not...to me, that actually is inconsistently applying your view point which is somewhat troubling to me.
    To play devil's advocate, one could say the former but not the latter, because God would not intentionally harm someone.

  5. #75
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That still doesn't make it "disgusting" in my mind or "unreasonable" as a general thought process.
    It's disgusting in the sense that it's essentially saying that this horrible act wasn't committed by some terrible, evil person, but was actually done by God, and because it was God's plan, you should just accept it.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    To play devil's advocate, one could say the former but not the latter, because God would not intentionally harm someone.
    This notion that we're all just puppets dangling on the end of God's strings is also preposterous, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

    I guess according to you, it was also God's plan for me to be a zealous abortion rights advocate, and to force you anti-abortion types to shove over.

  7. #77
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    This notion that we're all just puppets dangling on the end of God's strings is also preposterous, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

    I guess according to you, it was also God's plan for me to be a zealous abortion rights advocate, and to force you anti-abortion types to shove over.
    Did you not see where I said "to play devil's advocate"?

  8. #78
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    This notion that we're all just puppets dangling on the end of God's strings is also preposterous, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

    I guess according to you, it was also God's plan for me to be a zealous abortion rights advocate, and to force you anti-abortion types to shove over.
    Hah - it backfires, doesn't it? The notion that we're all fulfilling God's will with our actions in life.

    No - really - in the eyes of my parent's we're really just puppets of the devil set in the path of the religious divine to inhibit their godly progression through life. Yep. It's a plot straight out of sci-fi.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh, I don't disagree. I'm sure something like that could get you punched square in the face. Hell, I WOULD possibly punch someone square in the face in the right situtaion for that. It's amazingly stupid politically. It's a relatively tactless method of expressing the general thought process. I'm not going to sit here and deny any of those things becuase I agree with them, and have even said as much earlier in this post.

    That still doesn't make it "disgusting" in my mind or "unreasonable" as a general thought process.
    The GOP election strategy seems to be "be obnoxious". Their candidates can't sink far enough into the mud, and it's all good as long as the audience understands that what is said is extremely offensive to liberals, because we are "evil" and "anything goes" in attempting to block any move towards a more just society.

    Not saying all GOP candidates do this, or that no Democratic ones do, but the GOP apparently sees its voter base as having a never-ending appetite for the cruel, the sensational, the offensive -- as long as a liberal somewhere is annoyed by it.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Hah - it backfires, doesn't it? The notion that we're all fulfilling God's will with our actions in life.

    No - really - in the eyes of my parent's we're really just puppets of the devil set in the path of the religious divine to inhibit their godly progression through life. Yep. It's a plot straight out of sci-fi.
    I can be devilish, for the right amount of money -- or in the name of justice.


Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •