Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 673

Thread: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,902

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Richard Mourdock... Todd Akin..... why does the Republican Party seem like such a happy home and safe harbor to such people with such repulsive views?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #92
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    "Things happen for a reason" is a disgusting and repulsive view.


  3. #93
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I believe that us knowing that we make decisions for ourselves is far more important than subscribing to the idea that a supernatural being has our lives all figured out ahead of time and divines everything around. There's no basket of loaves and fishes here in reality. There are no healing magical cures for the ailing. In real life - none of that exists.
    Yes, but some people do buy that idea. My comment is aimed at those people. If god can intend a woman to get pregnant by rape, then God can certainly intend for that fetus to be aborted.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #94
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    "Things happen for a reason" is a "disgusting" and "repulsive" view.



    You must be "repulsed" by a lot of people, friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And if it gets aborted, God intended that too.

    Thank God for Abortion.
    Hrm. And this is why the logic used to argue in this way is not very sound. For if we are to say that the hand of God wanted a baby to be born so the evil rapist wasn't stopped, then why wouldn't the hand of God stop the baby from being killed by the evil abortionist, and so on? This is a bad way to make your argument, and honestly, it inverts on itself very quickly and ends up being an argument against religion itself. And yet, "things happen for a reason" is the sort of idea that so many people will fall back on or express, a plaintive hope in the face of adversity... It is a widespread belief, in any event, that there is a guiding hand to events, a divine plan.


    Of course, one need not even appeal to a specific religion in making an argument against killing innocents... but needlessly slaughtering innocents isn't permissible in Christian dogma if one wants to appeal to that as the basis for that view.

    In short, there's a better way to make the point he's trying to make, but it's not a bad point.
    Last edited by JayDubya; 10-24-12 at 12:43 PM.

  5. #95
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    ... but needlessly slaughtering innocents isn't permissible in Christian dogma if one wants to appeal to it.
    Who defines "needlessly"?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #96
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Who defines "needlessly"?
    In this case? Reason.

    You're talking about a self-limiting condition and an elective procedure to end it early at the cost of a human life.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    To force a woman to carry a pregnancy-through-rape to term, and deliver that child is medieval, abhorrent, and outright disgusting.

    If some women have the mental, physical, and financial ability to do such a thing, fine, but to suggest that any and all women regardless of their situation SHOULD HAVE TO is truly frightening, offensive, and a tragic commentary on who some people are.

  8. #98
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, God intended it | Reuters



    Honestly, I think it is a reasonable and somewhat consistent position, although I don't agree with it. From the standpoint of someone trying to get elected in a close race with an unusually strong Libertarian candidate to splinter the Republican vote, it was just a stupid thing to say though. If it plays anything like Todd Akin's comment did, Joe Donnelly will take the senate seat from the Republicans in Indiana. I'd pretty much given up hope for the Republicans to take the senate this year anyway. Things looking very good for the GOP in 2014 though.
    You forgot something in the thread title: STUPID Indiana Republican...

    You think that's consistent? Consistent for a ProLife person to say to their raped and pregnant daughter in the privacy of their home, perhaps. Announce it to the world? Absolutely, positively idiotic.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #99
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    In this case? Reason.
    False. Reason doesn't make subjective determinations like that.

    You're talking about a self-limiting condition and an elective procedure to end it early at the cost of a human life.
    So?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #100
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    re: Indiana Republican: When life begins from rape, "God intended" it [W:266]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So?
    "Self-limiting." "Elective."

    Ergo, needless.

Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •