Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64

Thread: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

  1. #51
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I don't know and neither do you. Why are you jumping to conclusions?
    I'm not. You said you were in favor of punishing scientists for human consequences. I was just seeing if you had any of those consequences and had quantified them in any meaningful way. The answer to that is no, you did not. So let's talk about not jumping to conclusions then. Perhaps we shouldn't be in favor of punishing scientists and engineers less you have evidence that they did something wrong and against any knowledge they had at the time, hmmm?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #52
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Well, you inexplicably tried to blame this mess on what you seem to call the creationists lack of knowledge, whereas the only people whose knowledge failed them were the geologists in question.

    In your own words, they were unable to predict the earthquake.

    As I said, the geologists didn't know enough geology to be useful.

    Your post was rather ironic.
    Lol, here is why you fail to understand what I even said: I said the general populace, regardless of it's religious ideas is incredibly ignorant when it comes to understanding science. Now, science didn't fail anything because it's not possible to predict earthquakes anymore than you can predict how many flowers will bloom in a year. It's not science that failed them, it's their understanding of science that did.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #53
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Lol, here is why you fail to understand what I even said: I said the general populace, regardless of it's religious ideas is incredibly ignorant when it comes to understanding science. Now, science didn't fail anything because it's not possible to predict earthquakes anymore than you can predict how many flowers will bloom in a year. It's not science that failed them, it's their understanding of science that did.
    Yes and no. It isn't the science that failed them, nor is it the science these scientists are on trial for - it's the risk assessment. That was the failure. And since these scientists were the risk assessment panel for the government.

    Again, don't think the charge meets the bogus assessment. However, everyone on the panel who didn't dissent should have been out of a job.

  4. #54
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsa View Post
    did I miss some important breakthru in seismology that enables us to now predict with specificity when large earthquakes are going to occur?
    If so, I suggest they get their butts over to Yellowstone and the San Andreas faults posthaste.
    No, you did not. I live in an earthquake prone area and they have been predicting the next 'big one' for 50 years. So, I guess they won't be faulted wen it happens. The Mid America Remote Sensing Center is only about 25 miles away from me, and that's about as good as it gets. We have small quakes all the time. The last 'big one' was in the 1800s - the Mississippi river ran backward for 3 days, Indian tribes were buried alive, and Reelfoot lake was formed. Everyone here is advised to keep some supplies, a tent, water, a way to cook, etc., because we are on the New Madrid fault line, and it WILL happen again.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  5. #55
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes and no. It isn't the science that failed them, nor is it the science these scientists are on trial for - it's the risk assessment. That was the failure. And since these scientists were the risk assessment panel for the government.

    Again, don't think the charge meets the bogus assessment. However, everyone on the panel who didn't dissent should have been out of a job.
    About all you can to do predict an earthquake is to say one is coming, like they have been doing here for 50 years. Nailing the scientists is what happens when a population expects cradle to grave protection from everything.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  6. #56
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    No, you did not. I live in an earthquake prone area and they have been predicting the next 'big one' for 50 years. So, I guess they won't be faulted wen it happens. The Mid America Remote Sensing Center is only about 25 miles away from me, and that's about as good as it gets. We have small quakes all the time. The last 'big one' was in the 1800s - the Mississippi river ran backward for 3 days, Indian tribes were buried alive, and Reelfoot lake was formed. Everyone here is advised to keep some supplies, a tent, water, a way to cook, etc., because we are on the New Madrid fault line, and it WILL happen again.
    Just to let you know, you had a fairly major one in 1968 as well.

  7. #57
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Just to let you know, you had a fairly major one in 1968 as well.
    Yes, I remember it well. I was 20 and standing on my deck. It lasted just a few seconds, nothing fell down, and no one was killed.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  8. #58
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    About all you can to do predict an earthquake is to say one is coming, like they have been doing here for 50 years. Nailing the scientists is what happens when a population expects cradle to grave protection from everything.
    No, that's not the issue here. Again, it was a government risk assessment panel that got it wrong. It's different here in the US. Geologists won't say one way or the other, even when pressed to give an assessment, without requiring any statement be bracketted by huge disclaimers.

  9. #59
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, that's not the issue here. Again, it was a government risk assessment panel that got it wrong. It's different here in the US. Geologists won't say one way or the other, even when pressed to give an assessment, without requiring any statement be bracketted by huge disclaimers.
    Well, they've been 'making statements' here about 'the big one' for 50 years. Right now, at this minute, I could get out of my house and live in the out of doors for several days...much longer than needed for a rescue.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  10. #60
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Italian scientists convicted of manslaughter for not predicting earthquake

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes and no. It isn't the science that failed them, nor is it the science these scientists are on trial for - it's the risk assessment. That was the failure. And since these scientists were the risk assessment panel for the government.

    Again, don't think the charge meets the bogus assessment. However, everyone on the panel who didn't dissent should have been out of a job.
    Unless these scientists said that there was a 0% chance of a major earthquake, an earthquake could have occurred and the scientists still could have been correct. Risk assesser are not seers. They cannot see the future. Their job is to assess risk, and present their findings to the public. They can recommend a course of action, but it is the responsibility of their audience to weigh the costs and risks and decide upon a course of action. Because earthquakes are unpredictable, the existence of one does not prove that the scientists were even wrong let alone criminally negligent. This was a stupid ruling that will probably get overturned. The case is probably little more than people lashing out against an act of god by trying to place the blame for the death of their loved ones on flesh and blood people who can be punished. You can't make a scapegoat out of a fault-line.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •