Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 127

Thread: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

  1. #21
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    In other words, French kids are more in school than yours.
    No, because that's just class time. Sports, band, and other activities are after school (not including club sports). And our kids get a half hour for lunch only.

    The great minds of the world are not coming out of France. And that rare innovative bird from there gets out and comes to America or elsewhere to pursue their ambitions.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I have gone to an American school, a British school and a Danish school. It has nothing to do with "anti-Americanism". In the American school we started at 8 and was let out at 2pm. In the British school we started 8 and were let out at 3:30 to 4. The Danish school was 8 to 3.

    And in the French schools, the children start at 8:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon... like it or not that is a significant difference.
    Where were you, in California? LOL

  3. #23
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I have gone to an American school, a British school and a Danish school. It has nothing to do with "anti-Americanism". In the American school we started at 8 and was let out at 2pm. In the British school we started 8 and were let out at 3:30 to 4. The Danish school was 8 to 3.

    And in the French schools, the children start at 8:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon... like it or not that is a significant difference.
    Not sure where you went to school then. 8-4 is the standard school day. The only thing I would change about our school system would be to eliminate summer vacation and go to a trimester year.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #24
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    No, because that's just class time. Sports, band, and other activities are after school (not including club sports). And our kids get a half hour for lunch only.
    Again you dont get it.. btw I edited after you quoted.

    France's Hollande promises pupils

    They are in school from 8:30 to 5 to 6pm in the afternoon, and THEN there is football and homework on top of that...

    So no matter how you slice and dice it, French kids are in school far longer than American kids.

    The only thing that has changed is that French kids are only in school 4 days a week due to cost cuts under Sarkozy and that will be changed back to 4 and half days.

    The great minds of the world are not coming out of France. And that rare innovative bird from there gets out and comes to America or elsewhere to pursue their ambitions.
    I would answer this but I might get banned.. Your comments go against the facts, pure and simple.
    PeteEU

  5. #25
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    French children are in school longer hours than most countries. Their daily school time is at minimum.. some even more.. from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm on a week day. Burnout rates are quite high according to many.. just saying. They are also looking into expanding number of days (less vacation).

    On top of that the quality of teachers is extremely high, since bad teachers are actually kicked out.. I know shock horror.

    The French higher education system is also extremely harsh when compared to other countries.. longer hours, more exams, higher requirements and so on.
    That may all be true, but artificially hindering the progress of students who can and do do well is simply discrimination in its own right.

    Plus, when people grow up to become world famous in their fields... and France has had their share in history, no doubt... it is precisely BECAUSE those individuals who could and would were allowed to excel, not because everybody in society was unnaturally manufactured to be the same.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #26
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Where were you, in California? LOL
    Nope, an American International School in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia... was lonnnnng ago though.
    PeteEU

  7. #27
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    They are in school from 8:30 to 5 to 6pm in the afternoon, and THEN there is football and homework on top of that...
    OK, let's pretend that French schools are in session for 9.5 hours/day (8:30 - 6) for 4 days a week, US is 8-4 (8 hours/day) 5 days a week. That's 38 hours/week in France and 40 hours/week in the US.

    Ahh math, how I love you.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #28
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Nope, an American International School in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia... was lonnnnng ago though.
    Saudi Arabia!? And you think that accurately reflects the school system in America proper? Jeeze.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #29
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That may all be true, but artificially hindering the progress of students who can and do do well is simply discrimination in its own right.
    Eh? Who is artificially hindering anything? All he wants to do is not give homework to children who have a long ass day as it is! Like it or not, in Europe, we work to live, not live to work.

    Plus, when people grow up to become world famous in their fields... and France has had their share in history, no doubt... it is precisely BECAUSE those individuals who could and would were allowed to excel, not because everybody in society was unnaturally manufactured to be the same.
    And who is going to prevent that by not giving out homework? Nothing is preventing parents or the students themselves to read books or learn after school..

    Get a grip, this is nothing but another typical France bashing bull**** thread started because someone does not understand how things are done outside the good old USA.
    PeteEU

  10. #30
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: French president pushing homework ban as part of ed reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Saudi Arabia!? And you think that accurately reflects the school system in America proper? Jeeze.
    Considering it was run by the American community and companies, with American teachers and textbooks and an American curriculum... then yes! Hell my first English teacher came from Austin, Texas and had a very thick accent.. which later on pissed off my English Oxford trained teachers at the British school heh because I had learned that accent.
    PeteEU

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •