Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 173

Thread: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

  1. #151
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    This prize has become a joke. First, Obama... who hadn't been in office more than a few weeks... now, the EU, which is mired in economic crisis, multicultural clashes, while several of the EU's primary supporters... France, Germany and Spain... spearheaded military attacks on Libya to support the rebellion there.

    The mind boggles.
    You should read the reasoning behind the award and then you would understand. The prize is not given for "peace efforts during the last year"... it very rarely is.
    PeteEU

  2. #152
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

    I can understand why the americans are mad in this thread but if they want to win more nobel prizes they should start eating more chocolates.

    Today in faulty causality: A study has found that a country’s consumption of chocolate is directly correlated to the number of Nobel laureates it has produced. Leading the world in both chocoholism and Nobels: the Swiss, followed by the Swedes and the Danes. The U.S. would have to consume an additional 275 million pounds of chocolate per year to catch up (still no word on what benefits salt, a preponderance of processed foods, and trans-fats impart to a nation).
    The More Chocolate A Nation Eats, The More Nobel Prizes It Gets | Popular Science

  3. #153
    Student comedy4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    georgia
    Last Seen
    12-28-12 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    204
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    Worthy winners with the many months of negotiations to keep the EU intact.



    EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio
    The European Union gets the Nobel peace prize for 60 years of promoting peace amongst formerly warring countries.
    What happened 60 years ago in Europe that changed things there? US!
    Who takes care of the majority of military defense of Europe? US!
    COMEDY 4 ALL! it's a life Philosophy.

    Chuck Norris once got bit by a king cobra. after five days of agonizing pain, the cobra died!

  4. #154
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    This prize has become a joke. First, Obama... who hadn't been in office more than a few weeks... now, the EU, which is mired in economic crisis, multicultural clashes, while several of the EU's primary supporters... France, Germany and Spain... spearheaded military attacks on Libya to support the rebellion there.

    The mind boggles.
    As I said before, I think it's purely a joke and people win the prize based solely on ideology and the desire for the committee to push an ideology.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You should read the reasoning behind the award and then you would understand. The prize is not given for "peace efforts during the last year"... it very rarely is.
    Well , maybe Norwegian politicians who sit in the committe shouldn't try to redefine the rules of the prize. There is a reason Alfred Nobel thought the prize should be given to the ones who have done the most the preceding year, because else they can give a peace prize to almost anyone with power, because almost anyone can be argued that they have led to peace. And in fact you don't even need to do anything. Obama got his prize for doing nothing but hold some speeches. The Nobel peace prize committee need to stop giving out peace prizes as an encouragement, and give it out for real recent achievements.

    EU should have gotten a peace price in the 80s, after all of the dictatorships collapsed, not now. Also, EU can not solely get credit for the changes in Europe. If you are going to give the prize as an encouragement, why not give EU the Nobel price of economics too? Right not, democracy is eroding, there are huge conflicts between south and north Europe. There are a financial war going on in Greece. This is the worst possible time to give EU a peace prize.

    There is a question why 80% of the members of the committee is for Norwegian membership of the EU, but 80% of the Norwegian population is against. The only reason they got it through is because the guy against EU got sick. Because of this decision, not only foreigners have lost confidence in the committee, but Norwegians too.,

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: E.U. Wins Nobel Peace Prize.....

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The Nobel Peace prize has become just a joke.
    I stopped paying attention to the Nobel Prizes after Barbra Streisand won.

    Or was that the Oscars?

    Oh well, same difference.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You should read the reasoning behind the award and then you would understand. The prize is not given for "peace efforts during the last year"... it very rarely is.
    Given their explanation it should have been the United States who won the prize.

  8. #158
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Well , maybe Norwegian politicians who sit in the committe shouldn't try to redefine the rules of the prize. There is a reason Alfred Nobel thought the prize should be given to the ones who have done the most the preceding year,
    Except you're wrong. He didn't mention "the preceding year". According to his will, the Peace Prize is for, those who have "done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." Perhaps you can find quotes or documents from Nobel himself that contradict this.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Except you're wrong. He didn't mention "the preceding year". According to his will, the Peace Prize is for, those who have "done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." Perhaps you can find quotes or documents from Nobel himself that contradict this.
    This source agrees with me 'The Nobel Peace Prize' by Fredrik Heffermehl : A Book Review by Scott London

    The key argument rests on an exegesis of Alfred Nobel's famous will of 1895. The peace prize should go to the person who had done the most in the preceding year to 1) organize and promote peace congresses, 2) eliminate or reduce standing armies, and 3) contribute to fraternity between nations, Nobel wrote.
    and the full text agrees with me too. http://www.nobelprize.org/alfred_nob...will-full.html

    The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way: the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit to mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows:
    Last edited by Camlon; 10-15-12 at 12:18 PM.

  10. #160
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: EU to win 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, says Norway public radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    You will get a more accurate picture if you visit the original Nobel Prize website.

    The Nobel Peace Prize 2012 was awarded to European Union (EU) "for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe".
    The Nobel Peace Prize 2012

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •