Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Kr1ll1n View Post
    A few things;

    1. If Waste Management refused to pick it up, then why?
    That info does not seem to be provided.

    2. Did they refuse to pay?
    Again, info does not appear to be provided.

    3. How long had they been dumping, assuming they refused to pay?
    This would indicate the severity of the crime.

    Some Cyanide info;
    http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...term%20_4_.pdf


    If they were stuck in a catch-22 situation, where WM refused to pick it up, and they were willing to pay, than a fine and community service would cover it for them. But, in that instance, WM should be liable as well.
    Here, you have to call for hazard waste removal, Kr1ll1n, but if you do and you pay the disposal fee, they will take your used cyanide.

    This is not a "Catch 22" situation.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Well, they were married....so it's really more like ONE psychopath. Or at least, like one psychopathic purpose...
    I listened to a tv news story about this. The wife was reported to be indicted for obstructing justice, because she tried to help the husband cover up his crime.

  3. #23
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    No minute trace of marijuana involved? Phfft! Nothing to see here. Move along.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #24
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Guys we don't need an EPA the free market will take care of th-
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    There are a couple of things I found interesting in this article beyond what has already been stated.

    The Montorsis own a coin and precious metal business, Kennedy Mint Inc., on Pearl Road. They previously owned a metal-plating company at the same location that used cyanide, Dettlebach said.
    It would seem that the Montorsis had been using cyanide for some time now, being on their 2nd business dealing with the stuff. I think it would be safe to assume that they would have had to have disposed of it prior to this event. We know they tried to have it picked up and it was refused. I am jumping to a conclusion here but I would think that might have been how they had disposed of it up to that point. If they had been disposing it for years in a different manner why would they suddenly change now and when it didnt work why then still not revert to what had been working for years? It would appear to me that the city or trash people or someone changed their policy and that was that.

    Reading this thread it would appear as if these people went and dumped the cyanide into the river. That is not what happened.

    Montorsi rolled the drum to a storm sewer, punctured the side of the drum with a spike and let the contents drain into the sewer.
    Montorsi dumped the stuff in the sewer quite possibly expecting that it went to waste water treatment plan and not just emptied into a river. He may also have assumed that sewage is already toxic and adding this would do no harm. The reason I am pointing this out is because his intent is important. If this man was trying to destroy a river, kill the wildlife or even poison a water supply then he deserves prison or even death. However, if his intent to dump it into a sewer was for it to go to a treatment plant and he honestly didn't figure any harm would come it is not the same thing. I think this man's motive needs to be considered and it doesn't appear as though many are. It would seem like a moderate fine and community service directly involved in the clean up would be appropriate.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    There are a couple of things I found interesting in this article beyond what has already been stated.



    It would seem that the Montorsis had been using cyanide for some time now, being on their 2nd business dealing with the stuff. I think it would be safe to assume that they would have had to have disposed of it prior to this event. We know they tried to have it picked up and it was refused. I am jumping to a conclusion here but I would think that might have been how they had disposed of it up to that point. If they had been disposing it for years in a different manner why would they suddenly change now and when it didnt work why then still not revert to what had been working for years? It would appear to me that the city or trash people or someone changed their policy and that was that.

    Reading this thread it would appear as if these people went and dumped the cyanide into the river. That is not what happened.



    Montorsi dumped the stuff in the sewer quite possibly expecting that it went to waste water treatment plan and not just emptied into a river. He may also have assumed that sewage is already toxic and adding this would do no harm. The reason I am pointing this out is because his intent is important. If this man was trying to destroy a river, kill the wildlife or even poison a water supply then he deserves prison or even death. However, if his intent to dump it into a sewer was for it to go to a treatment plant and he honestly didn't figure any harm would come it is not the same thing. I think this man's motive needs to be considered and it doesn't appear as though many are. It would seem like a moderate fine and community service directly involved in the clean up would be appropriate.
    It's possible the husband did not intend to pollute the river, of course, but I find that hard to believe. This county lost a 20 year battle with the EPA last year and has to build a longer pipeline into Lake Erie for the discharge of sewage, as a result. Our water bills are like 300%+ larger and this has been all over the news here, daily.

    So, possible....but very, very unlikely.

    If the husband did intend to poison the river, do you think he should get prison time? Or does his age move you to say "naw, that's too harsh"?

  7. #27
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    It's possible the husband did not intend to pollute the river, of course, but I find that hard to believe. This county lost a 20 year battle with the EPA last year and has to build a longer pipeline into Lake Erie for the discharge of sewage, as a result. Our water bills are like 300%+ larger and this has been all over the news here, daily.

    So, possible....but very, very unlikely.

    If the husband did intend to poison the river, do you think he should get prison time? Or does his age move you to say "naw, that's too harsh"?
    There are a lot of people out there who do not realize that when they dump something down a drain, or into a sewer, on a city street ect where they water goes or the impact of what they are doing. I think a persons intent should be considered in sentencing. If his goal was poison the river in order to kill fish and further destroy that area I think his sentence should be much more harsh than if he ignorantly not understood the full scope of his actions.

    I am not factoring his age at all.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    There are a lot of people out there who do not realize that when they dump something down a drain, or into a sewer, on a city street ect where they water goes or the impact of what they are doing. I think a persons intent should be considered in sentencing. If his goal was poison the river in order to kill fish and further destroy that area I think his sentence should be much more harsh than if he ignorantly not understood the full scope of his actions.

    I am not factoring his age at all.
    That's good, because I am fed up with old people getting away with murder and escaping the consequences just because they are old.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •