Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt View Post
    I wonder why waste management refused to dispose of the waste. That's their job.
    Not the usual garbagemen -- people around here have to call and make arrangements for the HAZMAT guys, and we get charged for that.

  2. #12
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I'm disgusted and angry, but I wouldn't give them the death penalty.

    I do think they deserve prison time, and that'd likely be LWOP for them.
    If I put that much into a public water supply, should I get death? If I knew what harm I was causing? Of course. I think this couple knew exactly what they were doing and just didn't give a ****. They have destroyed an entire ecosystem. It's not just the fish...it's everything that water touched, everything that depends on those fish, etc etc etc. This elderly couple destroyed more than we can possibly grasp. It's high time we make people realize the importance of our environment. They DIRECTLY attacked every single person living along or near that river.



    I say death, and ALL of their holdings go towards fixing what they broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #13
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    You don't think they should do prison time, helix?

    Is it on account of their age?
    They should do prison time, but that won't bring the fish back to life. Making them do some serious cleanup would probably be more effective for their age. Why confine them to a space and feed them? Make them go out and do some hard labor.
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by helix2048 View Post
    They should do prison time, but that won't bring the fish back to life. Making them do some serious cleanup would probably be more effective for their age. Why confine them to a space and feed them? Make them go out and do some hard labor.
    Not a huge fan of creative sentencing, myself. Prison will do nicely, IMO -- that, and confiscating everything they own to defray the clean up costs and punish for the terror they inflicted on this community.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    If I put that much into a public water supply, should I get death? If I knew what harm I was causing? Of course. I think this couple knew exactly what they were doing and just didn't give a ****. They have destroyed an entire ecosystem. It's not just the fish...it's everything that water touched, everything that depends on those fish, etc etc etc. This elderly couple destroyed more than we can possibly grasp. It's high time we make people realize the importance of our environment. They DIRECTLY attacked every single person living along or near that river.



    I say death, and ALL of their holdings go towards fixing what they broke.
    I would agree if a human had been killed, I think. I have to ponder on that awhile.

    I'm still stunned that TWO people did this. We had two psychopaths in Cleveland with 55 gallons of cyanide in their garage?

  6. #16
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    The article said they could have called for a hazardous waste pick up, at their cost.

    I have a question myself: can I get cyanide if I just claim to be a coin dealer? Why isn't this substance more tightly controlled?
    You can get a lot of dangerous stuff very easily, the overwhelming vast majority of people who do get it, don't do anything nefarious with it either.
    Most people just really don't know about this.

    No I'm not going into detail on the internets about it.
    Suffice to say, you'd be surprised.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    11-23-12 @ 03:08 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    477

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    A few things;

    1. If Waste Management refused to pick it up, then why?
    That info does not seem to be provided.

    2. Did they refuse to pay?
    Again, info does not appear to be provided.

    3. How long had they been dumping, assuming they refused to pay?
    This would indicate the severity of the crime.

    Some Cyanide info;
    http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...term%20_4_.pdf
    Cyanide ions are relatively stable in the environment unless they are oxidized. The fate and behaviour of cyanides in water will be controlled by various parameters of the water body — namely, pH, trace metal levels, dissolved oxygen and temperature. Although there appear to be no specific data, the half-life of cyanides in water is likely to be weeks.
    If they were stuck in a catch-22 situation, where WM refused to pick it up, and they were willing to pay, than a fine and community service would cover it for them. But, in that instance, WM should be liable as well.
    Last edited by Kr1ll1n; 10-10-12 at 08:27 PM.

  8. #18
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    You can get a lot of dangerous stuff very easily, the overwhelming vast majority of people who do get it, don't do anything nefarious with it either.
    Most people just really don't know about this.

    No I'm not going into detail on the internets about it.
    Suffice to say, you'd be surprised.
    I would say that, in terms of destroying water supplies, gasoline would be the easiest and most effective. There are chemicals in gas that are very very very hard to filter out of water, and mere drops of the stuff can contaminate gallons upon gallons.


    If I were looking to do serious harm to a village or city or whatever, I'd just buy 20-30 gallons of gas, and start dumping it near water treatment facilities. Simple as pie, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  9. #19
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Then again, I'm kinda crazy like that...I just think about all the bad stuff you can do with otherwise normal items. I guess I'm a terrorist in the making, lol?

    Like, for instance, I look at the news, and see all the creative ways and lengths people go to to kill other people, and it boggles my mind. Doesn't need to be complicated. Buy a propane tank, fill it, and set it on fire. Run like hell. One 20 lb tank is enough to more than level the typical size home...or office, fast food joint, etc. You get the idea.

    Cyanide in the river is pretty bad, though, to be honest. It's basically like pouring thousands and thousands of gallons of bleach into the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #20
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: FBI Arrests Elderly Married Couple For Cyanide Poisoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I would agree if a human had been killed, I think. I have to ponder on that awhile.

    I'm still stunned that TWO people did this. We had two psychopaths in Cleveland with 55 gallons of cyanide in their garage?
    Well, they were married....so it's really more like ONE psychopath. Or at least, like one psychopathic purpose...
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •