Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 97

Thread: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    'A decades-old Sacramento, Calif. burger joint is shutting its doors for being out of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act because the owner says he can’t afford to bring it up to code.

    Ford’s Real Hamburgers has been slinging burgers, fries and shakes for years, but was hit hard in the recession. Now, KTXL-TV is reporting that a local attorney who makes his living filing ADA cases — many on his own behalf — is suing the restaurant — and Ford‘s can’t keep up.'

    Sacramento California Landmark Ford’s Real Hamburgers Forced to Shut Down Over ADA Lawsuit | Video | TheBlaze.com

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    Interesting.

    Seems like a petty lawsuit to me.

  3. #3
    Advisor NitroHangover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-13-17 @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    584

    Re: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    Maaaaaaaan, that really sucks. I grew up in south Sacramento and I ate there many times when I was a kid.

    Scott Johnson is a well-known scumbag chickenhawk who pretends to do what he does for noble reasons when he's really just serving himself. He is his firm's ONLY client. I saw him on the news just a few days ago because 4 women in his office are suing him for sexual harassment and wrongful termination. Good, what goes around comes around. I hope they clean him out. This guy has filed over 2,000 lawsuits against small businesses in Northern and Central CA, for failing to be up to ADA code standards, even when the buildings were built decades before those codes existed. He literally just travels the state and looks for places to sue. This is how he makes his living. He cripples (no pun) these businesses and MANY have had to shut down because getting up to code would have meant remodeling their entire building.

    My uncle is a property developer, and has been sued a couple of times by this asshole because of buildings that my late Grandpa built back in the 80's.

    Here's the scoop on this guy:
    Disabled lawyer Scott Johnson cranks out ADA lawsuits | SierraSun.com

  4. #4
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,343

    Re: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by NitroHangover View Post
    Maaaaaaaan, that really sucks. I grew up in south Sacramento and I ate there many times when I was a kid.

    Scott Johnson is a well-known scumbag chickenhawk who pretends to do what he does for noble reasons when he's really just serving himself. He is his firm's ONLY client. I saw him on the news just a few days ago because 4 women in his office are suing him for sexual harassment and wrongful termination. Good, what goes around comes around. I hope they clean him out. This guy has filed over 2,000 lawsuits against small businesses in Northern and Central CA, for failing to be up to ADA code standards, even when the buildings were built decades before those codes existed. He literally just travels the state and looks for places to sue. This is how he makes his living. He cripples (no pun) these businesses and MANY have had to shut down because getting up to code would have meant remodeling their entire building.

    My uncle is a property developer, and has been sued a couple of times by this asshole because of buildings that my late Grandpa built back in the 80's.

    Here's the scoop on this guy:
    Disabled lawyer Scott Johnson cranks out ADA lawsuits | SierraSun.com
    Easy solution: The State of California can take over the burger joint and spend the money needed to make the necessary adjustments. Everyone is now happy.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    'A decades-old Sacramento, Calif. burger joint is shutting its doors for being out of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act because the owner says he can’t afford to bring it up to code.

    Ford’s Real Hamburgers has been slinging burgers, fries and shakes for years, but was hit hard in the recession. Now, KTXL-TV is reporting that a local attorney who makes his living filing ADA cases — many on his own behalf — is suing the restaurant — and Ford‘s can’t keep up.'

    Sacramento California Landmark Ford’s Real Hamburgers Forced to Shut Down Over ADA Lawsuit | Video | TheBlaze.com
    Federal Government passed law that people are able to exploit for their own gain......imagine that.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #6
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Federal Government passed law that people are able to exploit for their own gain......imagine that.

    No. The laws are in place to stop discrimination against people with disabilities. Scum bags are everywhere. Even the Republican controlled the Congress they passed laws allowing only THEM, the ones who pass the funds for projects, to have insider trading information made legal for them only
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  7. #7
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    The ADA was passed in 1990. If we are to believe the owner of the establishment did not have the funds to bring his restroom into compliance in a span of 22 years, it sounds like the business wasn't going to be around long anyway.

  8. #8
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    The problem with bringing some of these buildling up to code is that more room is required to build the larger toilets. Small places like this joint probably can't comply unless they add on to the building then there is a matter of access to the added structure. I know in South Carolina code officials to make exceptions for older buildings. I wonder if you have to have an ADA toilet if you are a take out only business?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

  9. #9
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    The problem with bringing some of these buildling up to code is that more room is required to build the larger toilets. Small places like this joint probably can't comply unless they add on to the building then there is a matter of access to the added structure. I know in South Carolina code officials to make exceptions for older buildings. I wonder if you have to have an ADA toilet if you are a take out only business?

    Given equal access is the issue for the ADA, I doubt it.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  10. #10
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Landmark calif. Burger joint forced to shut down over ada lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    No. The laws are in place to stop discrimination against people with disabilities. Scum bags are everywhere. Even the Republican controlled the Congress they passed laws allowing only THEM, the ones who pass the funds for projects, to have insider trading information made legal for them only
    Do you ever stay on topic? You started to here so I'll just reply to that. This has nothing to do with insider trading.

    No. The laws are in place to stop discrimination against people with disabilities.
    The government has no place to say a business has to have a bathroom or a bathroom with doors so big or anything else. A business owner should have the freedom to have whatever doors they want and let consumers decide if he should stay open by either eating there or not.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •