Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 160

Thread: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

  1. #31
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Look, no offense... it is simply a stupid analogy that you are trying to make. Seriously.
    I view history in an attempt to see how people react to change. Our own history can help us to realize how hard it will befor the Pakistani people and the people in many countries fighting for their freedom. What they are going through is very similar to what we went through in our own history. We can't expect everything to change over night. The Taliban will have to be defeated and they will not go out quietly. I view the girl who got shot as a true hero to the sufferage movement they are going through.

  2. #32
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    You're already several steps behind, in seeing what the actual inherrent problems are in the ME. You try to equate Muslim terrorists with Judeo-Christian culture, as it was here, 100-200 years ago. Judeo-Christian culture spread along with western democracy, thus already had a basis on which to make progress with regard to human rights, just as we have seen happen concurrently, in other western democratic societies. The problem in some of the ME region cultures, is that they can't separate their religion from their politics. This is a deeply ingrained problem which will not be resolved for quite some time to come, and it may be that it won't be resolved absent outside force.
    It remains to be seen what the Arab Spring will result in long term. I personally don't expect much besides a reversion to what is familiar and secure to them.

    Your comparison is invalid.
    I have to disagree, because religion was very much embeded in our political culture early on. There were fights in congress over the role of relgion and government to the point of people becoming violent and beating one another to near death. Religious groups faught ther religious groups causing death and atrosities. We like to think our history is such that we declared our freedom and everything went smoothly to bring that about. Seperation of church and state has been such a big issue in this country that when JFK was elected, he was the first Irish Catholic elected to office. It seems silly today, but that was a very big deal in the 60s. One's religon was a big consideration among voters in this country, and still is in many respects today. There have been groups that have wanted to rule this country baed on the bible from the begining and there are still people who would like to see that happen today.

  3. #33
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    I have to disagree, because religion was very much embeded in our political culture early on. There were fights in congress over the role of relgion and government to the point of people becoming violent and beating one another to near death. Religious groups faught ther religious groups causing death and atrosities. We like to think our history is such that we declared our freedom and everything went smoothly to bring that about. Seperation of church and state has been such a big issue in this country that when JFK was elected, he was the first Irish Catholic elected to office. It seems silly today, but that was a very big deal in the 60s. One's religon was a big consideration among voters in this country, and still is in many respects today. There have been groups that have wanted to rule this country baed on the bible from the begining and there are still people who would like to see that happen today.
    Religion was embedded in our culture, but our political culture was separate from religion itself. This seems like a small thing, but when your politics and religion are the very same thing, the issue is huge to overcome.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #34
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,051

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    I made the comparison to make a point that change takes place through sufferage movements. THe girl who got shot is a hero because he dared to stand up for her own freedom. There will be many fallen heros during this sufferage movement in Pakistan, and that is a sad reality. I hate what the Taliban is doing.
    I understand and I think that some here are lashing out at you unfairly... but the comparison's are not fair. I could say that kids have it tough growing up and compare my kids and the time outs they get and the reflection chair that we discuss the matter in to a kid that gets beaten with a wrench by his father and then sees his father pass out drunk. It isn't a fair or accurate comparison.

    Sure we had some tough times over here. Comparing slavery to what they are doing over there is apt, but not voting.

    Also, as lizzie points out there is a culture difference. We had human rights. We had democracy. Not for all but that was only a racial thing, really. The Taliban is denying human rights for it's own people. They are a terrorist organization and tyranical group as was Idi Amin, Pol Pot and Hitler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,051

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    I have to disagree, because religion was very much embeded in our political culture early on. There were fights in congress over the role of relgion and government to the point of people becoming violent and beating one another to near death. Religious groups faught ther religious groups causing death and atrosities. We like to think our history is such that we declared our freedom and everything went smoothly to bring that about. Seperation of church and state has been such a big issue in this country that when JFK was elected, he was the first Irish Catholic elected to office. It seems silly today, but that was a very big deal in the 60s. One's religon was a big consideration among voters in this country, and still is in many respects today. There have been groups that have wanted to rule this country baed on the bible from the begining and there are still people who would like to see that happen today.
    The difference is that we had democratic and republican heritage (Greeks and Romans) as our basis. We had the Enlightenment. They have nothing of the sort. Their glory days are well over a thousand years gone by and they are not moving forward. The Arab Spring was a great head line but the reality is that even though they want freedom they don't seem to have a clue as to how they should go about it.

    I am not saying I am great... I was born lucky into a great society. They have it tough but they should at least try to give the power to the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,937

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    You're a brave girl Malala. My thoughts are with you, your family and supporters. I hope you recover fully, and continue to be such a shining example for many years to come.

    You have a long struggle ahead, but with people like you fighting so hard for your basic human rights, at least there is hope.
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  7. #37
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Religion was embedded in our culture, but our political culture was separate from religion itself. This seems like a small thing, but when your politics and religion are the very same thing, the issue is huge to overcome.
    Religion wasn't seperate for a long time in our culture. Most of our history has been a struggle to get religion out of politics. It is more seperate today than ever in our history, but there are still people in this country that try to get religion back into politics. Seperation of church and state has always been a power struggle for us. That is just the way it is.

  8. #38
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    Religion wasn't seperate for a long time in our culture. Most of our history has been a struggle to get religion out of politics. It is more seperate today than ever in our history, but there are still people in this country that try to get religion back into politics. Seperation of church and state has always been a power struggle for us. That is just the way it is.
    Religion was always separate from politics in this country. That is the reason we have the separation of church and state. The people may be a religious people, but the government is secular.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #39
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    Religion wasn't seperate for a long time in our culture. Most of our history has been a struggle to get religion out of politics. It is more seperate today than ever in our history, but there are still people in this country that try to get religion back into politics. Seperation of church and state has always been a power struggle for us. That is just the way it is.
    The fact that you don't see the very obvious and inherent difference between U.S. history and the history of Muslim governments is absolutely astounding. The fact that you keep clinging to that idiotic comparison is actually quite hilarious.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #40
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Pakistani Taliban Shoots 14 Year Old Activist

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I understand and I think that some here are lashing out at you unfairly... but the comparison's are not fair. I could say that kids have it tough growing up and compare my kids and the time outs they get and the reflection chair that we discuss the matter in to a kid that gets beaten with a wrench by his father and then sees his father pass out drunk. It isn't a fair or accurate comparison.

    Sure we had some tough times over here. Comparing slavery to what they are doing over there is apt, but not voting.

    Also, as lizzie points out there is a culture difference. We had human rights. We had democracy. Not for all but that was only a racial thing, really. The Taliban is denying human rights for it's own people. They are a terrorist organization and tyranical group as was Idi Amin, Pol Pot and Hitler.
    Wen you look back on US history and see how women were treated until recently and how minorities have been treated. Then you look how long it took to get equal rights for women and minorities, you can see that our struggle with freedom hasn't been a simpe or easy road. I don't expect the struggle under Taliban rule will be any less difficult. Women in our country used to be treated a property and their treatment was a matter of religious values. Minorities gined the right to vote, but were not allowed to exercise that right in the south until the 60s. I am simply pointing out that freedom and equal rights wasn't easy to gain in this country and it won't be easy to gain half a world away.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •