Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 250

Thread: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

  1. #231
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It's just a game, but you make the defense based on the plotline? Sounds similar to the Infinity Ward man who decided to wear sunglasses to the interview which provided equally contradictory messages.

    Huh? What does wearing sunglasses to an interview have to do with contradictory messages? And as I stated they dont really need a justification. I just personally think it added to the storyline. Without it you wouldnt really be able to understand why Russia attacked the U.S.

  2. #232
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Huh? What does wearing sunglasses to an interview have to do with contradictory messages? And as I stated they dont really need a justification. I just personally think it added to the storyline. Without it you wouldnt really be able to understand why Russia attacked the U.S.
    The guy was being a jackass while being confronted with the controversy. He pulled out the same lines.

    Without the interactive portion, you could have just as easily explained it. There was no need to have the player contribute or directly observe the mayhem.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #233
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    The guy was being a jackass while being confronted with the controversy. He pulled out the same lines.

    Without the interactive portion, you could have just as easily explained it. There was no need to have the player contribute or directly observe the mayhem.
    Who cares if he was being a jackass. That doesnt make him any less right. It just makes him a jackass.

    Have you actually played MW2 and specifically played that level? After playing that level I actually started to hate the main terrorist. I wouldnt have if they had just explained the events.

  4. #234
    User lyons19901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Last Seen
    05-10-14 @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I don't know how biased or not studies are or what questions they would ask to determine that. I do know, that when my oldest was in 1st grade, they asked the parents that we turn off Power Rangers before school. They noticed the fall that arrived on TV, there was significantly more trouble on the play ground and that it migrated into the classroom. I did, I didn't see the problem with waiting til after school, but I didn't follow up to see how well the suggestion was followed nor how much it may have helped. Anecdotal, I know.


    I have to disagree, it's not like on TV. A player is interacting with it, making the violence happen. Violence on TV, which I'm not a fan of as you can see above, is a passive activity. TV is watched, one has a physically passive response, until like a video game where the player is required to physically take action.
    sometimes i feel anecdotal/real life evidence is more applicable then a research study.

  5. #235
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,851

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Kids are going to have a harder time understanding the difference between fantasy and reality then adults. Thats why we have the rating system for video games and movies and what not.

    The point is that both are fake violence so I dont see a moral dilemma. The vast majority of people who play video games dont think its ok to go and kill hookers or shoot someone with a sniper rifle or anything like that. They understand that video games are fantasy. So why does it matter if you are physically controlling an electronic character to shoot imaginary bullets at a fake enemy or watching it happen? Thats what I dont get.
    It is not equivalent to watching TV and that's what I most want to address. I find it distasteful to even fake kill people. It bothers me, greatly. Extreme violence, cruelty and torture in a movie, bother me terribly as well. I cannot watch some movies at all or turn it off because of scenes like that. "Scarface", a scene with a chainsaw. "Casino" the guy's head in a vice. There was a film where Lindsey Lohan was tortured with burning, I didn't realize was going to occur.

    So my opinions are just that and if those illustrations are lost in translation, I'm sorry. Taking an active role in perpetrating even fake violence, is a greater problem, for me, than observing it.

  6. #236
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Who cares if he was being a jackass. That doesnt make him any less right. It just makes him a jackass.

    Have you actually played MW2 and specifically played that level? After playing that level I actually started to hate the main terrorist. I wouldnt have if they had just explained the events.
    Yes, I have. The screenwriter said the following:
    1) You can shoot the terrorists
    Answer: Yes, but like all matters Call of Duty, if you don't do what it wants in the way it wants, it will punish you dramatically. Try to fire on the terrorists. You'll die in 2 seconds flat. Try that same thing facing a whole crowd of policemen minutes later: takes a long time to die. It steers you in the direction of being complicit in the wanton murder.
    2) You can choose to not shoot the civilians
    Answer: So you can destroy life, but rarely protect it in this game. The only moments where that does exist is in the breach sections. Throughout the invasion, American civillians are curiously missing from a nation-wide invasion.
    3) It's just a game
    Answer: But you just got done explaining the awesomeness of the storyline.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #237
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Yes, I have. The screenwriter said the following:
    1) You can shoot the terrorists
    Answer: Yes, but like all matters Call of Duty, if you don't do what it wants in the way it wants, it will punish you dramatically. Try to fire on the terrorists. You'll die in 2 seconds flat. Try that same thing facing a whole crowd of policemen minutes later: takes a long time to die. It steers you in the direction of being complicit in the wanton murder.
    2) You can choose to not shoot the civilians
    Answer: So you can destroy life, but rarely protect it in this game. The only moments where that does exist is in the breach sections. Throughout the invasion, American civillians are curiously missing from a nation-wide invasion.
    3) It's just a game
    Answer: But you just got done explaining the awesomeness of the storyline.
    So? I dont really care what he said. Its fake violence. I fail to see a moral dilemma here.

    This all reminds me of the song Vicarious by Tool lol.

  8. #238
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    So? I dont really care what he said. Its fake violence. I fail to see a moral dilemma here.

    This all reminds me of the song Vicarious by Tool lol.
    Then don't pretend it is a crucial part of the story-telling, and admit its sadistic qualities.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #239
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Then don't pretend it is a crucial part of the story-telling, and admit its sadistic qualities.
    I think that part is crucial to get an emotional reaction from the player though. Like my hatred for the main bad guy after I finished the level.

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Perhaps others are able to distinguish that which occurs in a game world, and that which occurs in real life. She expressed the thoughts in the context of a game, and that's really al there is to it. If she's done the same in real life, I'd love to see your evidence. Until then, you're grasping at the same desperate straws as her opponent.
    Actually she did express those thoughts in real life.

    It's always real life.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •