Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 250

Thread: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

  1. #151
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    Even comparing reading to playing video games isn't black and white. Some games teach analytical skills and planning while reading trash romance novels isn't likely to greatly expand your horizons.
    The excuses never end. At least be honest, the games we're talking about here are the on-screen equivilent of bodice rippers.

  2. #152
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The excuses never end. At least be honest, the games we're talking about here are the on-screen equivilent of bodice rippers.
    I don't play WoW so I can't really comment on the nuances of it's game play. It's incredibly popular, so are romance novels. Most forms of entertainment that appeal to a wide audience aren't known for their depth or educational value. I'm serious when I say I would be hard pressed to think of a bigger waste of time and money than golf. It just has zero appeal for me but I acknowledge that it is extremely popular in some demographics. One of my cousins not only plays whenever he can but watches it on TV, something I can only see myself doing as a cure for insomnia. As long as someone's choice of leisure activity is legal, why should it be any business what they choose to do? I really don't understand the thinking behind the ad that started this whole thread. My guess is that while it would appeal to a certain voter profile that is probably already firmly in the Republican camp, it would garner little enthusiasm from moderates and independents and might alienate some of them.

  3. #153
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    I don't play WoW so I can't really comment on the nuances of it's game play. It's incredibly popular, so are romance novels. Most forms of entertainment that appeal to a wide audience aren't known for their depth or educational value. I'm serious when I say I would be hard pressed to think of a bigger waste of time and money than golf. It just has zero appeal for me but I acknowledge that it is extremely popular in some demographics. One of my cousins not only plays whenever he can but watches it on TV, something I can only see myself doing as a cure for insomnia. As long as someone's choice of leisure activity is legal, why should it be any business what they choose to do? I really don't understand the thinking behind the ad that started this whole thread. My guess is that while it would appeal to a certain voter profile that is probably already firmly in the Republican camp, it would garner little enthusiasm from moderates and independents and might alienate some of them.
    Again, and again, it wasn't about the video game but the time she spent playing it. Had she spent 22 hrs a week reading bodice rippers or anything that was a couch surfing activity, that may have been highlighted instead.

  4. #154
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    Even comparing reading to playing video games isn't black and white. Some games teach analytical skills and planning while reading trash romance novels isn't likely to greatly expand your horizons.
    Let's be honest. The majority of the time, even the most dedicated games teach relatively minor amounts of critical thinking. Sure, some puzzle solving here or there, or whatever, but these things are usually isolated to each game's systems of reality. I'll grant you this, however, a great many novels are trash. I even have some quarrels with the virtue of reading novels as well.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 10-08-12 at 02:25 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #155
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    [...] I really don't understand the thinking behind the ad that started this whole thread. My guess is that while it would appeal to a certain voter profile that is probably already firmly in the Republican camp, it would garner little enthusiasm from moderates and independents and might alienate some of them.
    That's the scary part; it's a given that the GOP is a party of xenophobes, and that therefore the party apparatchiks would try to appeal to the base (of xenophobes). However, to do it so clumsily and stupidly means that, in addition to be a party designed to appeal to xenophobes, the people running the party are stupid.

    Now one would find it hard to believe that the people running a national political party are simply stupid, but there is tons of evidence supporting that -- this ad, which will insult anyone of intelligence, including gamers nationwide, attempts over the years to privatize Social Security (which the vast majority oppose), the recent attempt to privatize Medicare (which the vast majority oppose), calls to bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran, Sarah Palin, etc. So we already have the party of stupid running the House of Representatives, and if we're not careful they'll be running the White House too -- balancing the budget by closing tax loopholes....

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Republicans and Democrats should join and all play WOW. That way, they won't get to screw up the nation further.

    Republicans should play Horde because its red and the dems should be the Alliance because they're blue. Also, orcs ride those kodo things that look like elephants and elves like to have intimate relations with donkeys. O.o

  7. #157
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again, and again, it wasn't about the video game but the time she spent playing it. Had she spent 22 hrs a week reading bodice rippers or anything that was a couch surfing activity, that may have been highlighted instead.
    It was about the video game as well. Don't forget the quotes she associated with the game: fulfilling fantasies, breaking crimes without them being actual crimes, killing without actually killing, and so forth.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #158
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again, and again, it wasn't about the video game but the time she spent playing it. Had she spent 22 hrs a week reading bodice rippers or anything that was a couch surfing activity, that may have been highlighted instead.
    Gonna have to call for a source that shows she played 22 hours a week. Aside from the fact she hasn't played much at all in nearly a year, the only reference I can find thaat mentions 22 hours is this one and that is what the average WoW player puts into the game according to unidentified studies. The real crux of the matter still is what right do you have to judge what constitutes an acceptable leisure activity and what doesn't? Mitt Romney lists "American Idol" as one of his favorite shows. Should we judge his strength as a candidate based on that example of poor taste? I just find it ironic that some of the same people who scream "nanny state" when a locale wants to restrict fast food think they have the right to sit in judgment of what someone does for recreation.


    Colleen Lachowicz: Maine state senate candidate outed as World of Warcraft player | Mail Online

  9. #159
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again, and again, it wasn't about the video game but the time she spent playing it. [...]
    1. They don't know how much time she spent playing it, so their/your argument is based upon a lie.
    2. In a free country, what one does legally during their spare time -- all of it or part of it -- should not be used to judge them or their abilities.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Maine GOP attack Dem for playing World of Warcraft!

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    Gonna have to call for a source that shows she played 22 hours a week. [...]
    The right makes it up (or misrepresents) as they go... in fact, they do it so fast you can hardly keep up. Just ask Obama after that last debate.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •