Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Intel Officials See North Africa Terror 'Cover Up'

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Intel Officials See North Africa Terror 'Cover Up'

    Weeks before the presidential election, President Barack Obama’s administration faces mounting opposition from within the ranks of U.S. intelligence agencies over what careerofficers say is a “cover up” of intelligence information about terrorism in North Africa.

    Intelligence held back from senior officials and the public includes numerous classified reports revealing clear Iranian support for jihadists throughout the tumultuous North Africa and Middle East region, as well as notably widespread al Qaeda penetration into Egypt and Libya in the months before the deadly Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi.

    Intelligence officials pointed to the statement issued Sept. 28 by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) that raised additional concern about the administration’s apparent mishandling of intelligence. The ODNI statement said that “in the immediate aftermath, there was information that led us to assess that the attack began spontaneously following protests earlier that day at our embassy in Cairo.”

    Officials say the ODNI’s false information was either knowingly disseminated or was directed to be put out by senior policy officials for political reasons, since the statement was contradicted by numerous intelligence reports at the time of the attack indicating it was al Qaeda-related terrorism.

    Officials with access to intelligence reports, based on both technical spying and human agents, said specific reporting revealed an alarming surge in clandestine al Qaeda activity months before the attack in Benghazi. Yet the Obama administration sought to keep the information from becoming public to avoid exposing what the officials say is a Middle East policy failure by Obama.

    Officials said that the administration appeared to engage in a disinformation campaign aimed at distancing the president personally during the peak of the presidential election campaign from the disaster in Benghazi, where numerous warnings of an attack were ignored, resulting in the deaths of U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other officials.

    The first part of the apparent campaign, officials said, was the false information provided to U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice, who appeared on Sunday television shows after the attack to say the event was a “spontaneous” response to an anti-Muslim video trailer posted online. Officials said Rice was given the false information to use in media appearances in order to promote the excuse that the obscure video was the cause of the attack, and not the Islamic concept of jihad.

    Rice’s claims provoked concern inside the U.S. intelligence community that intelligence about what was going on in Libya and the region was being suppressed, and led to a series of news disclosures about what would later be confirmed as an al Qaeda attack using the group Ansar al Sharia.
    http://times247.com/articles/intel-o...error-cover-up

    the intelligence community, apparently, is not willing to take the fall for the administration's denial of the obvious, its obfuscation, its cover up, whatever you want to call "it is what it is"

    issa and chaffetz at oversight laid out a list of 13 separate attacks in benghazi in the weeks before 9-11, as well as repeated requests for extra security, all ignored

    the scariest might have been the photo of a jogging ambassador stevens posted on facebook, with threats

    oversight: "it does not appear that there was an intelligence failure"

    ie, it's not the spies who dropped the ball

    the sources also express concern about the failure of the fbi to breach benghazi almost a month after the murders

    especially when cnn got in within 4 days, soon enough to find stevens' diary lying on the ransacked floor

    ambassador rice (and jay carney and ben labolt, et al) did NOT say they were weighing the evidence, waiting for the results of an investigation which is never gonna occur

    no, they actively asserted that the mayhem in benghazi was motivated specifically by the video, the attack was "spontaneous"

    odni's september 28 declaration that they were the ones who messed up presumably pleases its higher ups

    Intelligence office says it got Libya attack wrong, not White House | McClatchy

    but the rank and file feels differently, evidently

    can anyone blame them?

    "the obama administration is afraid to admit aq is running rampant throughout the region"

    aq is flourishing in eqypt, the sources leak

    al azhar university in cairo is jihadist hotbed

    al zawahiri's brother is active along the nile

    "the morsi government has turned a blind eye to both the increased jihadist activity and iran’s support for it in the region, particularly in libya and syria"

    the white house fears to admit that arab spring has been hijacked

    but it's the presence of iran in the region, the revolutionary guard and quds, that is as dangerously destabilizing as the surge of aq in north africa

    and, of course, iran is a major player in syria

    ostrich obama, meanwhile, is still hopeful of negotiating with the holocaust deniers in tehran

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Intel Officials See North Africa Terror 'Cover Up'

    Rice on Benghazi: Blame the intelligence community | The Cable

    U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice told Republican senators that her televised statements last month on the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi were based entirely on information she was given by the intelligence community.

    "In my Sept. 16 Sunday show appearances, I was asked to provide the administration's latest understanding of what happened in Benghazi," Rice wrote in a Thursday letter to Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Ron Johnson (R-WI) and Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), and Lindsey Graham (R-SC). "In answering, I relied solely and squarely on the information the intelligence community provided to me and other senior U.S. officials, including through the daily intelligence briefings that present the latest reporting and analysis to policy makers. This information represented the intelligence community's best, current assessment as of the date of my television appearances, and I went out of my way to ensure it was consistent with the information that was being given to Congress."

    She also pointed to a Sept. 28 statement from Shawn Turner, spokesman for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, admitting that the intelligence community had changed its view of the attack.

    "As the Intelligence Community collects and analyzes more information related to the attack, our understanding of the event continues to evolve," Turner said. "As we learned more about the attack, we revised our initial assessment to reflect new information indicating that it was a deliberate and organized terrorist attack carried out by extremists."

    For McCain, Johnson, Ayotte, and Graham, Rice's deflection of blame is not enough to absolve the administration of responsibility for mistakes before and after the attack. They also say they doubt the intelligence community's true views were what Rice and Turner claimed.

    "Elements of the intelligence community apparently told the administration within hours of the attack that militants connected with al Qaeda were involved, yet Ambassador Rice claims her comments five days later reflected the 'best' and 'current' assessment of the intelligence community. Either the Obama administration is misleading Congress and the American people, or it is blaming the entire failure on the intelligence community," the senators said in a joint response to Rice's letter today.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Intel Officials See North Africa Terror 'Cover Up'

    bombshell:

    Congress to probe security flaws for Libya diplomats - CBS News

    CBS News has learned that congressional investigators have issued a subpoena to a former top security official at the US mission in Libya. The official is Lt. Col. Andy Wood, a Utah National Guard Army Green Beret who headed up a Special Forces "Site Security Team" in Libya.

    The subpoena compels Lt. Col. Wood to appear at a House Oversight Committee hearing next week that will examine security decisions leading up to the Sept. 11 Muslim extremist terror assault on the U.S. compound at Benghazi.

    Lt. Col. Wood has told CBS News and congressional investigators that his 16-member team and a six-member State Department elite force called a Mobile Security Deployment team left Libya in August, just one month before the Benghazi assault. Wood says that's despite the fact that US officials in Libya wanted security increased, not decreased.

    Wood says he met daily with Stevens and that security was a constant challenge. There were 13 threats or attacks on western diplomats and officials in Libya in the six months leading up to the September 11 attack.

    A senior State Department official told CBS News that half of the 13 incidents before September 11 were fairly minor or routine in nature, and that the Benghazi attack was so lethal and overwhelming, that a diplomatic post would not be able to repel it.
    routine?

    how reassuring

    and it's not real comforting to be told how these spontaneous demonstrations can sometimes be so lethal and overwhelming they can't be repelled

    Wood, whose team arrived in February, says he and fellow security officials were very worried about the chaos on the ground. He says they tried to communicate the danger to State Department officials in Washington, D.C., but that the officials denied requests to enhance security.

    "We tried to illustrate...to show them how dangerous and how volatile and just unpredictable that whole environment was over there. So to decrease security in the face of that really is... it's just unbelievable," Wood said.

    The State Department official says there was a "constant conversation" between security details in Libya and officials in Washington D.C.
    constant conversations are nice

    Sources critical of what they view as a security drawdown say three Mobile Security Deployment teams left Libya between February and August in addition to the 16-member Site Security Team on loan from the military. That's 34 highly-trained security personnel moved out over a six month period.

    One State Department source told CBS News the security teams weren't "pulled," that their mission was simply over.
    well, thank goodness the sst's weren't pulled

    lieutenant colonel wood and ms clinton are to testify next week

    stay tuned

  4. #4
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Intel Officials See North Africa Terror 'Cover Up'

    When I saw the thread title, I assumed that “Intel” referred to the well-known manufacturer of semiconductors.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,819

    Re: Intel Officials See North Africa Terror 'Cover Up'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    When I saw the thread title, I assumed that “Intel” referred to the well-known manufacturer of semiconductors.
    I'm not surprised. You usually get things wrong when you assume.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #6
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,819

    Re: Intel Officials See North Africa Terror 'Cover Up'

    Hopefully the MSM will have the balls to report on this completely and fairly instead of going with their usual tactic of trying to minimize this or sweep it under the rug.

    It's not good for Obama...that's for sure.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •