Page 36 of 56 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 557

Thread: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

  1. #351
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,891
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So basically what you saying that in order to ensure opportunity we must entitle them to the fruits of others labor.
    Yeah, that doesn't really work.
    Why not? Why shouldn't we all chip in a little so that education can be available for the citizens of our country?

    It seems to me that the educational system is a significant national security matter and a significant economic matter.
    Is there some way that the US would be better off with weaker national security and economic footing?
    Am I wrong about the impact of technology on warfare or economies?
    Am I wrong about the impact of education on the capacity to be technologically savvy and innovative?

    What's the bit that I am missing?
    How is it not in the vital interests of a democracy in the modern world to have a well-educated populace?
    I may be wrong.

  2. #352
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Should people be denied education based on the fact that they can't pay for it? 19th century thinking which gave us this:



    Sorry. Don't feel like going back in time.
    Who said I'm supporting the 19th century? In the real world it takes money to pay for someones education and no one has the right the fruits of others labor to assist them in their life be it the kid that needs an education, the rich man, the old lady or the poor woman with tons of kids. There really is no right to equal opportunity to be successful and in reality it would call for much more than just an education.

  3. #353
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Good way of avoiding the fact that Mya royally screwed up in her assertion that one is in fact entitled to success. Well, I guess it did create some forum activity.
    My answer to Mya, in part, was: "The only thing I was guaranteed/ entitled to was if I sit on my ass I will become a failure. No one is entitled to success it takes a set of balls, determination, commitment a lot of luck and the right people in your corner. I tell you what, that is why I do so much pro bono work because I was blessed with talent and the grace to live a great live filled with achievement and purpose." http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1060990809

  4. #354
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,891
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Who said I'm supporting the 19th century? In the real world it takes money to pay for someones education and no one has the right the fruits of others labor to assist them in their life be it the kid that needs an education, the rich man, the old lady or the poor woman with tons of kids. There really is no right to equal opportunity to be successful and in reality it would call for much more than just an education.
    So you're an anarchist? Against all govt and all taxation?
    I may be wrong.

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Apparently your keyboard malfunctioned.
    Apparently you don't know know you are supposed to fill in the blank. What you support has failed you it seems.

  6. #356
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Who said I'm supporting the 19th century? In the real world it takes money to pay for someones education and no one has the right the fruits of others labor to assist them in their life be it the kid that needs an education, the old lady or the poor woman with tons of kids. There really is no right to equal opportunity to be successful and in reality it would call for much more than just an education.
    No. You're supportive of their type of thinking. The difference is simple. 150 years ago 80-90% of the country's population did not have access to education for economic reasons as well as racial/cultural reasons to a lesser extent. Today, anywhere from 95% to 100% of the country has access to education. Whether it be thanks to the taxes that they pay through income, sales etc is irrelevant. However, what is relevant is that the "fruits of your labor" aren't the only ones paying for social programs. Everyone pays for them by different means.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    So you're an anarchist? Against all govt and all taxation?
    Nope, but thanks for the drama.

  8. #358
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes... people aren't entitled to any success. . .

    It is really a shame that you have no clue what it is Obama is actually talking about.
    It is really a shame that he doesn't know what he is talking about. It is not unexpected however.

    "If you've got a business. You didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."
    Barack Hussein Obama - Socialist, Marxist, president (USA)

  9. #359
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    [logic]

    Henrin, do you believe people who pay no income tax pay no taxes atll? If you don't believe that, then you automatically refute the claim that people expect others to pay for the education of their children. Why? Because if they pay taxes, any kind of tax, then surely a percentage of that taxation goes towards funding the same schools you claim they are expecting their children to go to on the dime of others.

    [/logic.]
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #360
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    It is really a shame that he doesn't know what he is talking about. It is not unexpected however.

    "If you've got a business. You didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."
    Barack Hussein Obama - Socialist, Marxist, president (USA)
    You forgot Muslim. Don't ever forget Muslim.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 36 of 56 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •