Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 557

Thread: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

  1. #311
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,575

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Entitled to success doesn't mean "equal outcome." Your logic/rationalism defense is just inaccurate.
    Yes, that's exactly what it means. No one is entitled to win. You are given fair rules in the game, and you may win or lose based on your own steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #312
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    My point is not about you personally, it is just interesting to see the degree you go as a partisan. If Obama had said that people are entitled to success, by your other messages you would be likely defending it.
    tl/dr.

    Your logic does not work. When Obama says people are entitled to health care, by your logic the correct response is that a person is not entitled to health care, rather they have a right to go to the doctor and obtain health care - but they actually have to go to the doctor or hospital themselves. A person has a right to pursue health care, but they are not entitled to health care coming to them. Or such nonsense as your message defenses are.

    Why your messages are hackery is that you don't just give the reasonable response of "Obama could have worded that better. What he clearly meant was..." Instead, you go to Ron Paul's self reliance hard stances and defend those. Your messages in toto show that Obama's words are the omniscient words of your god, for which you will rationalized god-goodness and truth as defense. That appears what you are doing in your messages on this thread.

    In real terms, a person is entitled to success and a person is entitled to pursue success really means the same thing in real terms.
    Ah, you're extrapolating my thoughts on one issue to another. That's like saying that you can't support abortion if you don't support the death penalty. Stick to Trayvon Martin threads joko. You can at least repeat your arguments in those threads ad nausea to the acclaim of other people who barely understand logic.

    The best part is your contradiction though. I'm partisan about this even though I'm supposedly, according to your weak understanding of basic American axioms using Ron Paul's rhetoric, Republican rhetoric, to defend a Democrat about a claim Republicans themselves support.

    Do you not realize yet how weak your argument sound?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #313
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,704

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ignoring your bland rhetoric aside, better colleges? Kk, you live in the world where people get into colleges because of family connections (Bush, Romney etc). My money aside, I don't have that kind of connection with the world and even if I did, my daughter would still have to get the grades in order to make it into those colleges seeing as how I'm not willing to "donate" to a school just so my kid gets a free ride through it. Your nonsense aside you've failed classically on your point. People simply aren't entitled to success. That's a Republican idea. You know, your daddy gives money to a school? Why shouldn't you be a B- student at an Ivy League university?
    Meh...Ivy league schools are passe. SO you want to pretend you ARENT going to work to help your child get into a GOOD school and help pay for that school? Really? Really? Nah...I kinda doubt little miss young money is going to be struggling through community college and carrying a 60k student loan debt trying to get a degree in massage and aroma therapy. Amiright? You are going to HELP her. And shame on you if you dont. (and if you are really idiotic enough to believe that getting into an Ivy league school based on your parents is a 'republican' thing, you are far more foolish than I beleive)

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    One of the most over rated qualities in this latest election is that the President must be 'likeable' and 'relate to the people'. If someone is capable of leading the world's only superpower (so far), turning around the economy, cleaning up the foreign policy mess, I don't think it necessary to 'relate to the people'. That is pandering.

    The electorate should vote for the best person for the job and not concern themselves whether he might be the ideal person to have a beer with.
    I never really could figure out what people mean by relate to the people, but to me democrats have no business saying such things when they policies are in many ways responsible for the divisions in this country be them between the classes or between the young and the old. I know they don't want to hear it but what they believe in is in many ways morally corrupt. I know that they believe that people need assistance but what they don't want to admit is that using people for the gains of others is going to make people angry. It is however much they don't like to hear it morally corrupt to forcefully take from one group and give it to another and when the government takes part in this kind of action in such blatant fashion like they support it being done people are going to feel like they are a victim when its being done to them like they are just there for people to benefit from. Be it the rich man that is mostly responsible for providing food stamps to Joe down the road or young jim that is taxed to provide social security for someone else's grandma. They might think its best for us all to work together and there is plenty of truth to that, but they are going about in a way that only angers people and causes problems. I know liberals will say I'm picking on them a lot here and I will admit I am, but I do believe much of what we are dealing with today on this front is their fault and I grow tired of them not being man enough to stand up and admit it. While its true that people should not be calling people on food stamps, etc parasites and that only causes the division to get deeper on top of it, that insult only comes about from actions liberals support and made come into existence. I know liberals will say I didn't comment on welfare for the rich and believe me that is a problem, but it doesn't appear to cause the same kind of division as this. I don't know why that is because it honestly should and its just as morally corrupt if not more so, but that I guess is just how the world turns.

    I would think that what that phrase would mean is all people, but I really do not understand how politics that is in many ways designed to separate people be it the belief in the progressive income tax system or the belief in welfare programs can ever hope to make such a claim and be honest about it, but I'm sure someone can help me along on that one.
    Last edited by Henrin; 10-06-12 at 02:13 PM.

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Uh, yours, Grant.
    Backing off now?

  6. #316
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    [QUOTE=Pinkie;1060992021]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

    I'm guessing Romney "saved" Staples by laying off workers, eliminating the pension and lowering wages.

    Am I warm?
    Oh I'm sure he sent out hit squads to kill pensioners and excess workers given how much Romney liked for people do die.

    Of course, that pathological liar Romney probably would say they injected cash and credit and restructured the company to pull it back from bankruptcy that so many other retailers were going thru, but that can't be it given how purely evil Romney is. That's the reason he wants to be president too. As president he can destroy the most people possible to try to satisfy his bloodlust.

  7. #317
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,118

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    If it has fallen 11% in a week, then it's a meaningless result and anyone could win.
    Well I think it means we are in for a down-to-the-wire race; with a slight advantage to the President there. He spent a lot of money and time defining Romney in the worst ways possible in Ohio, and saw alot of success. I attribute the rapid-falling-off of that success to the failure of the narrative; people saw Romney in the debates and he didn't seem to be the blood thirsty vampiric corporate raider that he had been painted as.

  8. #318
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    tl/dr.


    Stick to Trayvon Martin threads joko. You can at least repeat your arguments in those threads ad nausea to the acclaim of other people who barely understand logic.
    I can't think of a time that someone told me to get off a thread has ever worked.

    Do you have any actual response to my point that your defense is your arguing that apples aren't apples? That there is no real difference between being entitled to success and entitled to pursue success - just as there is no difference between being entitled to air and entitled to pursue breathing air - to a person in air.

  9. #319
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    [QUOTE=joko104;1060992036]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post

    Oh I'm sure he sent out hit squads to kill pensioners and excess workers given how much Romney liked for people do die.

    Of course, that pathological liar Romney probably would say they injected cash and credit and restructured the company to pull it back from bankruptcy that so many other retailers were going thru, but that can't be it given how purely evil Romney is. That's the reason he wants to be president too. As president he can destroy the most people possible to try to satisfy his bloodlust.
    Well, that was a tad harsh, donca think?

    I don't believe I'm a partisan hack.

  10. #320
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    His whole campaign gets curiouser and curiouser!

    Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' | The Weekly Standard

    oops please mods if you please can you move this to the other breaking news? Thank you
    Nobody is entitled to success and I will laugh my ass off if the same conservatives who whine about poor people and liberals thinking their entitled to success take issue with this quote.

Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •