Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 557

Thread: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

  1. #261
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Thanks this has more substance rather than an invitation for an open ended interpretation.

    Obama has historically used the term "fair share " when referring to taxes IIRC. He has been criticized for this for example, "Republicans dispute Obama's 'fair share' claims, say top earners already pay enough"..: |Republicans dispute Obama's 'fair share' claims, say top earners already pay enough Fox News


    The fair share is determined by U.S.C. 26 INTERNAL REVENUE CODE passed by Congress. In the US we have what is called a progressive tax system where individuals tax liability is determined by a number of factors including: income, deductions, credits etc. Once all those are taken into account a final tax liability is determined.

    A person must file a tax return even if it is incorrect or incomplete thereafter they can file an amended return. Should they not file a return they are breaking the law.
    So if the "fair share" has already been determined, what is he rabbiting on about?

  2. #262
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    The difference between "entitled to" and "earned" is "just semantics".
    That's quite an answer right there in itself.
    No, it isn't semantics at all. When people say it's semantics they mean that people are using different words to mean the same thing. That is not at all the case with "entitled" versus "earned". Entitled means that you have it coming to you whether or not you earned it.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  3. #263
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Failing companies were targeted which Romney felt might be saved. Among those he saved were Staples, Sports Authority, Domino's Pizza, Pizza Hut, Brookstone, AMC Entertainment, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Dunk' Donuts, Sealy, Toys 'R Us, Warner Music Group, Totes, and The Weather Channel.

    How many people do you think work for these companies and owe their jobs to Mitt Romney?
    How is this anything other than a redistribution of wealth to those YOU see as more deserving of it, Grant?

    Point is, thousands lost their jobs, and thus anyone who believes jobs growth is a task government should perform should not vote for Romney.


    Yes, I am and never claimed otherwise.

    Rather than go with what you think I 'suggest", why not go with what I actually say and then respond to that?
    I was pointing the foolish but logical extension of your argument. Please, feel free to start babbling about William Ayers, if you feel you must.

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So if the "fair share" has already been determined, what is he rabbiting on about?
    The government needs more money and he's discussing who should pay that increase.

  5. #265
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Failing companies were targeted which Romney felt might be saved. Among those he saved were Staples, Sports Authority, Domino's Pizza, Pizza Hut, Brookstone, AMC Entertainment, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Dunk' Donuts, Sealy, Toys 'R Us, Warner Music Group, Totes, and The Weather Channel.

    How many people do you think work for these companies and owe their jobs to Mitt Romney?

    Yes, I am and never claimed otherwise.


    Rather than go with what you think I 'suggest", why not go with what I actually say and then respond to that?
    Romney "saved" them? By doing what? Being on the board of directors for companies hardly qualifies as having "saved" a company anymore than being CEO means you've founded them. Let's take Staples, what measures, did Romney take to "save" it?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #266
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    The government needs more money and he's discussing who should pay that increase.

    What I see is Obama repeating a phrase that has a nebulous meaning. You know...repeat something long enough and it becomes true. Even though nobody knows what he really means.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  7. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    What I see is Obama repeating a phrase that has a nebulous meaning. You know...repeat something long enough and it becomes true. Even though nobody knows what he really means.
    I've already said this, and your rejoinder was "it must mean something".

    Geeze louise, Mycroft.

  8. #268
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,721

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    How is this anything other than a redistribution of wealth to those YOU see as more deserving of it, Grant?

    Point is, thousands lost their jobs, and thus anyone who believes jobs growth is a task government should perform should not vote for Romney.




    I was pointing the foolish but logical extension of your argument. Please, feel free to start babbling about William Ayers, if you feel you must.
    When those businesses were bought and reorganized and revitalized, it was due to the REALITY that those businesses were struggling and at risk. WHat was done with those businesses is no different than what Obama and the fed did with GM. Factories were shut down, car dealers and their entire staffs were shut down and denied rolling stock. Jobs were reorganized and yes...gasp...many jobs were transferred overseas. Non union employees were stripped of their pension plans. Whe...because Obama was evil? No..because GM had failed and continued to make bad business decisions and the company was beyond 'at risk'. So...if your final premise is that because Romney and Bain caused some people to lose their jobs while reorganizing already failing businesses and therefore you should not vote for Romney, well, you have to apply that same thought process to Obama...which means there are going to be a WHOLE LOT of third party or non-voters this year.

  9. #269
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    When those businesses were bought and reorganized and revitalized, it was due to the REALITY that those businesses were struggling and at risk. WHat was done with those businesses is no different than what Obama and the fed did with GM. Factories were shut down, car dealers and their entire staffs were shut down and denied rolling stock. Jobs were reorganized and yes...gasp...many jobs were transferred overseas. Non union employees were stripped of their pension plans. Whe...because Obama was evil? No..because GM had failed and continued to make bad business decisions and the company was beyond 'at risk'. So...if your final premise is that because Romney and Bain caused some people to lose their jobs while reorganizing already failing businesses and therefore you should not vote for Romney, well, you have to apply that same thought process to Obama...which means there are going to be a WHOLE LOT of third party or non-voters this year.
    Great response to a nonsensically partisan post.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country' [W:108]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    When those businesses were bought and reorganized and revitalized, it was due to the REALITY that those businesses were struggling and at risk. WHat was done with those businesses is no different than what Obama and the fed did with GM. Factories were shut down, car dealers and their entire staffs were shut down and denied rolling stock. Jobs were reorganized and yes...gasp...many jobs were transferred overseas. Non union employees were stripped of their pension plans. Whe...because Obama was evil? No..because GM had failed and continued to make bad business decisions and the company was beyond 'at risk'. So...if your final premise is that because Romney and Bain caused some people to lose their jobs while reorganizing already failing businesses and therefore you should not vote for Romney, well, you have to apply that same thought process to Obama...which means there are going to be a WHOLE LOT of third party or non-voters this year.
    This is an entirely different argument from "vote for the businessman who grows jobs".

    It's also not how I see Romney's record, but it's less preposterous than Grant's claim.

Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •