Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 136

Thread: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

  1. #51
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    Not really, you are just having a comprehension problem. The Hitler example is meant to show that students in school do NOT have the same freedom of speech rights that adults do. If the school determined all political apparel was disruptive, they could prohibit it. The example of the young woman was merely to illustrate the old principle that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If the girl ends up getting beaten up over this incident, as she claims she is fearful will happen, I think it outweighs the questionable gain of wearing a shirt parroting her parents views in an environment where it is unlikely she swayed anyone's voting preference.
    Again and again you ignore the school distrist's comments that the girl broke no rules and was exercising her freedom of speech - read the damn article. Or listen to any one of the news reports. What the district "could do" isn't the issue, the district has not banned political apparel.

    If you took the time to listen a bit before you went all partisan knee-jerk you'd know this was the students' free dress day. Not to mention the girl is an honor student at the school.

  2. #52
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,597

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    Not really, you are just having a comprehension problem. The Hitler example is meant to show that students in school do NOT have the same freedom of speech rights that adults do. If the school determined all political apparel was disruptive, they could prohibit it. The example of the young woman was merely to illustrate the old principle that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If the girl ends up getting beaten up over this incident, as she claims she is fearful will happen, I think it outweighs the questionable gain of wearing a shirt parroting her parents views in an environment where it is unlikely she swayed anyone's voting preference.
    The kool-aid surges deeps through your veins, grasshopper.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #53
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again and again you ignore the school distrist's comments that the girl broke no rules and was exercising her freedom of speech - read the damn article. Or listen to any one of the news reports. What the district "could do" isn't the issue, the district has not banned political apparel.

    If you took the time to listen a bit before you went all partisan knee-jerk you'd know this was the students' free dress day. Not to mention the girl is an honor student at the school.
    Maybe if you actually read posts before responding to them it would clear things up. Please show me where I have ever claimed the girl broke any rules? You can't because I haven't. I have said that I believe schools SHOULD prohibit all clothing with any political endorsement as inappropriate for the environment and I have pointed out that the precedent is that they can set acceptable standards of dress outside the normal freedom of speech model much as an employer can. The most I have said about the girl and her family is that I suspect this was an act intended to incite a response possibly with the goal of financial gain through a lawsuit. I have also expressed that her parents showed poor judgment in allowing her to wear the item IF the possibility of violence from other students is real and not a creation of their imagination. A relatively meaningless political gesture is not worth a beaten or killed child.

  4. #54
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    The kool-aid surges deeps through your veins, grasshopper.
    You are really going to tell me that a sixteen year old has a firm grasp of the actual issues involved and isn't just reflecting what her parents have exposed her to? Give me a friggin break. Someone who has never held a job they needed to support themselves on, lived outside their parents home where all necessities are provided, or had any real world experience outside the artificial environs of the classroom couldn't have any but the shallowest reasons for supporting one candidate over another. It's probably why we don't let people vote until they are 18.

  5. #55
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,597

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    You are really going to tell me that a sixteen year old has a firm grasp of the actual issues involved and isn't just reflecting what her parents have exposed her to? Give me a friggin break.
    I guess you've never met an honor student. This is just hackery, which everyone keeps saying, and I agree, is your motif.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #56
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I guess you've never met an honor student. This is just hackery, which everyone keeps saying, and I agree, is your motif.
    I was an honor student skippy, and most of my friends in high school were too. The political views at 16 of all of them were extremely close to their parents with few exceptions(legalization of pot comes to mind). It's just like religion. You show me a devout 16 year old and the odds are heavily in favor of their parents being the same way.

  7. #57
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,597

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    I was an honor student skippy, and most of my friends in high school were too. The political views at 16 of all of them were extremely close to their parents with few exceptions(legalization of pot comes to mind). It's just like religion. You show me a devout 16 year old and the odds are heavily in favor of their parents being the same way.
    Yeah, it just happens that she wears the shirt you wouldn't want her to, and it MUST be because she's parroting her parents. Tell me, who are the students who would beat her up, as you think is a natural reaction, "parroting"? Apparently the parents who support your side of things.

    I guess as an honor student, you never figured out the fallacy in generalizing out to everyone what you and your friends did. In any case, I counter your anecdote with mine -- at 16, my views were well-developed and QUITE distinct from my parents', and I can say the same for my friends.

    So don't assume that someone else is a "parrot" just because you and your little friends were.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #58
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    Maybe if you actually read posts before responding to them it would clear things up. Please show me where I have ever claimed the girl broke any rules? You can't because I haven't. I have said that I believe schools SHOULD prohibit all clothing with any political endorsement as inappropriate for the environment and I have pointed out that the precedent is that they can set acceptable standards of dress outside the normal freedom of speech model much as an employer can. The most I have said about the girl and her family is that I suspect this was an act intended to incite a response possibly with the goal of financial gain through a lawsuit. I have also expressed that her parents showed poor judgment in allowing her to wear the item IF the possibility of violence from other students is real and not a creation of their imagination. A relatively meaningless political gesture is not worth a beaten or killed child.
    Oh I read your posts, and they are the same each time, partisan excusing of what this teacher did and a smokescreen of how the schools should be restricting dress. All this BS about "acceptable standards of dress" is an obvious dodge on your part to avoid what this teacher did.

    The ONLY thing that leads you to your off the wall suspicion is your own partisan blinders. And again, if the possibility of violence is real in that school, due to wearing a t-shirt, the staff should be immediately fired and the school shut. But even here you fail to note that the one inciting the violence is the teacher.

    You give her a pass solely because she is an Obamabot like you.

  9. #59
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yeah, it just happens that she wears the shirt you wouldn't want her to, and it MUST be because she's parroting her parents. Tell me, who are the students who would beat her up, as you think is a natural reaction, "parroting"? Apparently the parents who support your side of things.

    I guess as an honor student, you never figured out the fallacy in generalizing out to everyone what you and your friends did. In any case, I counter your anecdote with mine -- at 16, my views were well-developed and QUITE distinct from my parents', and I can say the same for my friends.

    So don't assume that someone else is a "parrot" just because you and your little friends were.
    Do a little research into sociology and then tell me the odds don't favor my interpretation over yours. Hell, it was probably her parents that bought or procured the shirt for her. Just because you and your little clique in high school expressed rebellion against parental authority in an odd way doesn't make it the norm. The norm is most people form their own world view after they leave their parents' home and either enter the workforce or college. It is part of your obvious partisan prejudice to assume I wouldn't say the same thing if the tables were turned and an Obama shirt had been the center of the incident. I think it must be a key trait of the modern right to believe that everyone is as unscrupulous as they are. I guess when you go around calling people "Obamabots", thus implying they have no free will, it just follows that they would always fit your stereotypical perception of them. I haven't said it isn't possible the girl's views are diametrically opposed to her parents'. The chances are just very small given the circumstances and regardless of where they originate from they can't be based on any real and substantial life experience because she has none. As for the motivation of the students who may or may not attack her over this, who knows? Maybe the teacher in question is extremely popular with the student body in general. I imagine it has more to do with the pack mentality that dominates high school where anyone setting themselves outside the assumed and accepted behavior is painted as a target. Not endorsing it but that's the way it is.

  10. #60
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Teacher Ridicules Student for Romney T-Shirt

    And again, NONE of that matters in this issue. A girl wore an appropriate t-shirt that she was allowed to wear by district and school policy and a teacher abused her for it. Your forays into the sociology of high schoolers (which you clearly don't understand) are as nonsensical as they are moot.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •