Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 209

Thread: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

  1. #171
    User missgranthom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-06-12 @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Make all the excuses for him you like...I don't care, I am neither Rep nor Dem.

    But the facts are that since Obama took over, the unemployment rate is worse, both the national debt and food stamp usage are over a third higher and average house prices are lower.
    Have to admit it was exciting four years ago with all the talk of hope and change my expectations were so high, but now I am so disappointed and I personally know many people who have lost jobs and homes, very sad.

  2. #172
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I think you are right - and I think that's why they pivoted so fast to healthcare. Obama figured he had "checked the economy box" and could now move on to other things while it naturally righted itself. Forgetting, apparently, that taking mass amounts of resources and moving them from more productive allocations to less productive allocations reduces net productivity. woops.
    Yes, they're economic idiots, and we see the result.

    The only thing defenders can say is "he stopped the Second Great Depression!!!!!!!"

    Well, you can't prove that, and THEIR OWN CHART says differently anyway. They charted unemployment to bottom out around 8.1% and right itself within a few years. So THEY didn't even think they were stopping Great Depression II.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #173
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    I know that this has been covered but why don't reps just say "finally good news for AMERICA". Why do they hate us so much? Filabusters, calling 47% of americans lazy good for nothing slobs, women are just additives to the population, ethnic people are anti american betrayers ready to destroy this country at a moments notice (72 million of us?), unconstittutionally opposing the rights of others to what all Americans are entitled to. Why can't they just say "good for us for once".
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  4. #174
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    Why can't they just say "good for us for once"
    why can't they just say 2/3 of the almost a million jobs recently discovered being part time is not good enough?

    why can't they just say that 58% of the way-too-few jobs created during the entire obama "recovery" being 10 dollars or so per hour is not good enough?

    why can't they say that a $4500 fall in median middle class income stinks?

    why can't they just say that record numbers in poverty, on food stamps, on disability, on early social security, mired in longterm joblessness---it's not good enough

    not good enough:

    America's gross domestic product — the broadest measure of economic output — grew 6.8 percent from the April-June quarter of 2009 through the same quarter this year, the slowest in the first three years of a postwar recovery. GDP grew an average of 15.5 percent in the first three years of the eight other comebacks analyzed.

    Consumer spending has grown just 6.5 percent since the recession ended, feeblest in a postwar recovery. In the first three years of previous recoveries, spending rose an average of nearly 14 percent.

    The economy shed a staggering 8.8 million jobs during and shortly after the recession. Since employment hit bottom, the economy has created just over 4 million jobs. So the new hiring has replaced 46 percent of the lost jobs, by far the worst performance since World War II. In the previous eight recoveries, the economy had regained more than 350 percent of the jobs lost, on average.

    Adjusted for inflation, wages have fallen 0.8 percent. In the previous five recoveries —the records go back only to 1964 — real wages had gone up an average 1.5 percent at this point.
    Economic recovery is weakest since World War II - Yahoo! News

  5. #175
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    why can't they just say 2/3 of the almost a million jobs recently discovered being part time is not good enough?

    why can't they just say that 58% of the way-too-few jobs created during the entire obama "recovery" being 10 dollars or so per hour is not good enough?

    why can't they say that a $4500 fall in median middle class income stinks?

    why can't they just say that record numbers in poverty, on food stamps, on disability, on early social security, mired in longterm joblessness---it's not good enough

    not good enough:



    Economic recovery is weakest since World War II - Yahoo! News
    Exactly my point WHY can't they say anything positive?
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  6. #176
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,257

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Obama figured he had "checked the economy box" and could now move on to other things while it naturally righted itself. Forgetting, apparently, that taking mass amounts of resources and moving them from more productive allocations to less productive allocations reduces net productivity. woops.
    How are you defining productivity? It sounds as though you define it as any action the private sector partakes in, where as any action the government involves itself in is inefficiency. Personally, it sounds like a preconceived notion based entirely on ideology. I will be the first to admit that there are many actions the private sector is more efficient at. The first and most obvious is the ability to maximize profit. In a society such as our own, the entrepreneurial spirit is driven by a persons ability to capitalize on an idea that leads to a successful business plan. However, efficiency of industry is predicated upon competition.

    Some aspects of life are incompatible with competition, such as national defense, emergency and police services, maintenance of strategic infrastructure, consumer protections, poverty reduction, etc....

    Now there are means of improving efficiency throughout all aspects of both the public and private sector; but to believe that the only path is via profit seeking enterprise is to contradict reality.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Given that growth is sputtering at barely above 1%, whereas the post-war average for growth in a recovery is about 5 hundred times that amount, yes, it does indeed speak for itself.




    Obama has done a worse job than every other president in the post-war era:





    and so on and so forth ad nauseum. there is good reason for why people still think we are in a recession.
    Interesting ... look at the years when each of those recessions began ... 1981, 1990, 2001, and 2007.

    1981 - Reagan (R)
    1990 - Bush (R)
    2001 - Bush (R)
    2007 - Bush (R)

    You may complain that Obama isn't cleaning up Bush's mess fast enough but I think the bigger complaint is that Republicans keep ****ing up the economy.

  8. #178
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yes, they're economic idiots, and we see the result.

    The only thing defenders can say is "he stopped the Second Great Depression!!!!!!!"

    Well, you can't prove that, and THEIR OWN CHART says differently anyway. They charted unemployment to bottom out around 8.1% and right itself within a few years. So THEY didn't even think they were stopping Great Depression II.
    Okay, you seem rather cocky. Tell me, do you think the economy would have been better off with a steep decline in aggregate demand? Furthermore, Obama clearly underestimated the potential damage. What your error appears to be is that you are considering a financial recession coupled with severe individual and corporate deleveraging to be the same as a simple run of the mill recession and therefore recoveries should be identical despite the historical data showing that financial recessions tend with a few outliers to have long recoveries. And this one is particularly bad because there isn't anyone who can bailout the regions affected by increasing exports like how Europe and the US did for the Asian Tigers. We cannot simply just devalue our currency, and then pick up exports like the S. Koreans did. The rest of the world is still feeling the effects.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #179
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Interesting ... look at the years when each of those recessions began ... 1981, 1990, 2001, and 2007.

    1981 - Reagan (R)
    1990 - Bush (R)
    2001 - Bush (R)
    2007 - Bush (R)

    You may complain that Obama isn't cleaning up Bush's mess fast enough but I think the bigger complaint is that Republicans keep ****ing up the economy.
    ****ing up the economy? Recessions seem to work out pretty well for the job creators

  10. #180
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Falls to 7.8%; 114,000 Jobs Added

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Okay, you seem rather cocky. Tell me, do you think the economy would have been better off with a steep decline in aggregate demand? Furthermore, Obama clearly underestimated the potential damage. What your error appears to be is that you are considering a financial recession coupled with severe individual and corporate deleveraging to be the same as a simple run of the mill recession and therefore recoveries should be identical despite the historical data showing that financial recessions tend with a few outliers to have long recoveries. And this one is particularly bad because there isn't anyone who can bailout the regions affected by increasing exports like how Europe and the US did for the Asian Tigers. We cannot simply just devalue our currency, and then pick up exports like the S. Koreans did. The rest of the world is still feeling the effects.
    Guess who missed the entire point of my post (which was the culmination of several)? You.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •