Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 187

Thread: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

  1. #51
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by helix2048 View Post
    Ah, here we go with the "she eats too much" BS. My mother was the same size as her and growing up, I watched her eating habits. My mom didn't eat too much. There was something wrong with her physically and she just couldn't lose weight no matter what type of diet or diet pills she tried using. This is the problem with the american view. We have had skinny women shoved in our faces for so long that we immediately assume an overweight person simply eats too much. What happened to the days when men desired women with weight on them? Look at the pin up models from the '40s and '50s. Today they would be considered fat, but that is what men desired.

    If I could go backwards in time and stop that first photo shoot with Jean Shrimpton, our society would view overweight women completely different then they do today. The whole supermodel movement of the '60s has damaged our society. I personally think 90% of the women I see on TV could use a big mac and a large soda. They are way too skinny. Most of them lack talent as well since they are picked for their looks, not their brains. Give me intelligence over looks any day of the week.
    First of all, you're coming at me as if my view was critical of her being obese. Go back and read my post, I said to each their own. I could care less if someone chooses a diet that allows them to be overwieght. Thats their choice and their choice alone.

    Secondly, you're adectdote doesn't make the "she eats too much" BS. Yes, there are people that may genetically prone to being overwiegh as well as few medical disorders. Even with the a genetic disposition and/or medical condition, there are treatments available to rectify it. But in America as of late, the VAST majority of overwieght people are overwieght becuase of their diet as well as a lack of physical activity.

    The last time fat woman were attractive, it was because that was an occasion of wealth. Could afford to eat.

    Lastly, I'm personally not fond of what the modern view of "skinny" is. They look like a 2 X 6 with arms and legs! At the same time, don't dig fat girls either. Just not my flavor, some guys do though. I like a little bit of meat on a woman and the pinups of the 50s were what I'd consider to be an ideal figure. However, the anchor in OP would be still consdiered fat or obsese, even in the 50s. There is a big difference, even in the modern standard, by someone who's is a little overwieght and someone who's obses. The anchor is obses, bottom line.

  2. #52
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,187

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I disagree. I mean that is how low news standards have slipped but if I want eye candy I'll view reruns of Baywatch, when I watch news or other informational program I want substantive content that leaves me in a place of better knowledge and don't care what the professional looks like as long as they do their job to the highest standards.
    Sure, but that's you. You can choose to watch the slightly overweight anchor if you want to. Some people want their news delivered by a living stick figure. I think that the station can turn it into a positive and create the audience for their own newscast done the way they want it.

    In other words, different people want different things. I'd probably watch the same newscast as you, but some people want their news delivered with a side order of boobs.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #53
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Sure, but that's you. You can choose to watch the slightly overweight anchor if you want to. Some people want their news delivered by a living stick figure. I think that the station can turn it into a positive and create the audience for their own newscast done the way they want it.

    In other words, different people want different things. I'd probably watch the same newscast as you, but some people want their news delivered with a side order of boobs.
    Fair enough though I have no respect for people who watch a newscast for eye candy, those are the people responsible for the current low standards of television and they would be better off buying a porno.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #54
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    They are there for viewing pleasure. If they're butt-ugly, you'll probably change the channel. It's a TV show, for crying out loud.

    That said, I applaud the anchor in question. If a viewer finds her "too fat," that viewer can change the channel to one that has an anorexic anchor.
    This has nothing to do with her being attractive or not. It was a viewer complaining that her obesity sets a poor standard for young girls/ children. And it does. She, as a public personality, is a role model for those who watch her and by being obese, she is essentially saying it is okay. That's what the viewer's complaint was about. It wasn't about a beauty contest.
    Hail to the King baby!

  5. #55
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    This has nothing to do with her being attractive or not. It was a viewer complaining that her obesity sets a poor standard for young girls/ children. And it does. She, as a public personality, is a role model for those who watch her and by being obese, she is essentially saying it is okay. That's what the viewer's complaint was about. It wasn't about a beauty contest.
    I look at it from a different angle.

    I think she's an excellent role model to kids (and heck, adults!) because she's proven to be a success despite not being the typical norm. That gives many hope.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #56
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I look at it from a different angle.

    I think she's an excellent role model to kids (and heck, adults!) because she's proven to be a success despite not being the typical norm. That gives many hope.
    She took that social capital and pissed it away with this cheap stunt. She should have done a "series" on this and changed to a healthier lifestyle while discussing the criticism suffered by those with obesity and other issues as well. She still can maybe she will.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Sure, but that's you. You can choose to watch the slightly overweight anchor if you want to. Some people want their news delivered by a living stick figure.
    I'd rather my news be delivered by robots.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #58
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,187

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    This has nothing to do with her being attractive or not. It was a viewer complaining that her obesity sets a poor standard for young girls/ children. And it does. She, as a public personality, is a role model for those who watch her and by being obese, she is essentially saying it is okay. That's what the viewer's complaint was about. It wasn't about a beauty contest.
    It was about her being attractive. According to this occasional viewer, she's unattractive and is a bad role model. If the viewer thought she was attractive, I doubt that he'd be saying what he said.

    I agree with the anchor, that he's being a bad role model by being an asshole.

    I shudder when my daughter calls herself "fat." Mostly because she is a skinny and athletic gymnast. But presenting only the ultra skinny, and valuing that, it only propagates the idea that true beauty is in being a size zero.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #59
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    This has nothing to do with her being attractive or not. It was a viewer complaining that her obesity sets a poor standard for young girls/ children. And it does. She, as a public personality, is a role model for those who watch her and by being obese, she is essentially saying it is okay. That's what the viewer's complaint was about. It wasn't about a beauty contest.
    It's not the business of the viewer in question to speak for public standards.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #60
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's not the business of the viewer in question to speak for public standards.
    and it's not the business of a newsperson to use her position to elicit personal support.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •