Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 187

Thread: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

  1. #41
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    I see this woman as being more than a bit opportunistic, since the e-mail she received was private and she chose to make it into a public issue. She was using HER bully pulpit here. She tried to turn around the argument by claiming some sort of concern with bulimia, which was downright specious and her claims that it didn't bother her were so dishonest as to be laughable. If it hadn't bothered her, she wouldn't be making a public spectacle of it. Duh!

    This women is full of bull.

    The person who sent her the e-mail was insensitive, inappropriate, and has been pointed out quite likely sexist, but it was she who used the e-mail to get on her own high horse, and as she did so, she engaged in some dishonest rationalizations of her own. Sure, she received lots of support, which is the entire reason she did what she did. She wasn't fulfilling her role as a newsperson, but trolling for her own emotional support, and that strikes me as highly unethical for this profession.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #42
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by helix2048 View Post
    Ah, here we go with the "she eats too much" BS. My mother was the same size as her and growing up, I watched her eating habits. My mom didn't eat too much. There was something wrong with her physically and she just couldn't lose weight no matter what type of diet or diet pills she tried using. This is the problem with the american view. We have had skinny women shoved in our faces for so long that we immediately assume an overweight person simply eats too much. What happened to the days when men desired women with weight on them? Look at the pin up models from the '40s and '50s. Today they would be considered fat, but that is what men desired.

    If I could go backwards in time and stop that first photo shoot with Jean Shrimpton, our society would view overweight women completely different then they do today. The whole supermodel movement of the '60s has damaged our society. I personally think 90% of the women I see on TV could use a big mac and a large soda. They are way too skinny. Most of them lack talent as well since they are picked for their looks, not their brains. Give me intelligence over looks any day of the week.
    What I find interesting is that I am completely aware of this, yet am a victim. Just last week I was looking at before and after photoshops and the before--at first glance--gave me the sense that the pictured woman was overweight. So yeah, even somewone who is aware (myself), is programmed to think that looking like a big breasted coat rack is normal.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  3. #43
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    What's wrong with having eye candy with the news?
    You get retards like Gretchen Carlsson. Just sayin'.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  4. #44
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by saveUS222 View Post
    So I suppose that walking up to a person in a wheelchair and saying, "Your legs don't work" wouldn't be considered bullying either.
    Different context. Nice try.
    Hail to the King baby!

  5. #45
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    I saw this posted on pinterest today and I found it interesting. An overweight female news anchor responds on air to a letter she received from a viewer. The viewer claims she is a bad example to the community and especially young girls because she chooses to be overweight. I had a few thoughts immediately after watching this, and they are as follows.

    1. Yes, she does look overweight. Being overweight is not healthy.
    2. Are the overweight men at this station receiving the same flack for being overweight? (This is in Wisconsin, you know she's not the only overweight person there Probably not.
    3. Should her personal health decisions and struggles be up for public debate? Does this woman owe us her health?
    4. Is she really a bad role model for young girls? And if so, should we let all of the teachers, coaches, babysitters, daycare workers who actually spend time with our young girls know that a prerequisite for their job be that they not be fat?
    5. My last thought after reading the comments on youtube was that there definitely is a culture of bullying fat people. People seem to think that those in the public eye owe us their good looks, especially women. If a woman is not attractive, we get actual anger from the viewers. "How DARE she not act as a decoration for my viewing pleasure??" I don't think this is really about health, because we don't see the same outrage from the public when someone in the public eye is too thin and looks unhealthy, or smokes, uses drugs, or talks about their love of fattening foods. There are special rules for how we are allowed to criticize when someone is fat.


    Please watch the video and respond. It's not too long.
    News Anchor Jennifer Livingston On Air Response to Fat Shamer | Healthy Is The New Skinny
    1.This is not real news.So this should be in some other forum section.

    2.If she was put off by what that person said then her husband or whoever else should not have gave that person a platform by posting the letter on facebook and she should have not read that person's letter on air.Especially when that person stated that he or she doesn't actually watch the show.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #46
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Because they are not there for your viewing pleasure. They are there to report the news.
    They are there for viewing pleasure. If they're butt-ugly, you'll probably change the channel. It's a TV show, for crying out loud.

    That said, I applaud the anchor in question. If a viewer finds her "too fat," that viewer can change the channel to one that has an anorexic anchor.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #47
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,619

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Then maybe he can show some class and intelligence by not insulting others like he did.
    Ph...as if...

  8. #48
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Fat chicks are needed so the skinny girls can score more penis. Plus they pretty much all have great personalities. This country could use some more personalities.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #49
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Whoever wrote to this anchor and complained about her weight is a dirtbag imo. You dont use anyones personal weakness or illness or addiction to just destroy their psyche or to embarass them....If anything overweight women being overweight is an incentive to younger girls NOT to get heavy and the same goes for men...having an overweight woman anchor the news isnt going to cause legions of young girls to get fat...what trash...

  10. #50
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: News Anchor's on Air Response to Fat Shaming

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    They are there for viewing pleasure. If they're butt-ugly, you'll probably change the channel. It's a TV show, for crying out loud.

    That said, I applaud the anchor in question. If a viewer finds her "too fat," that viewer can change the channel to one that has an anorexic anchor.
    I disagree. I mean that is how low news standards have slipped but if I want eye candy I'll view reruns of Baywatch, when I watch news or other informational program I want substantive content that leaves me in a place of better knowledge and don't care what the professional looks like as long as they do their job to the highest standards.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •