Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 114

Thread: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

  1. #81
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Okay, a few points of correcting information here...

    1. I used to be a cop, in SC. I now work for the power company.
    2. SC is almost totally non-union. Cops have no union here worth mentioning. The few unions that exist here are almost completely powerless.
    3. Pay for cops in SC is often less than 30k a year and rarely ever more than 40k.
    4. Yes, I worked unpaid overtime when I was a cop. Mandatory unpaid overtime. Yes, refusal would have gotten me fired.


    Maybe you need to get a little more info on these things before making absolute pronouncements.
    Maybe you need to move to a state that isn't looking to revive slavery. Your union was useless, your pay was about 60% of the national average and you were compelled to break the law while supposedly upholding it and all those things are my fault? Sounds more like 10 years of unfettered Republican governors to me.

  2. #82
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    Maybe you need to move to a state that isn't looking to revive slavery. Your union was useless, your pay was about 60% of the national average and you were compelled to break the law while supposedly upholding it and all those things are my fault? Sounds more like 10 years of unfettered Republican governors to me.

    As it turns out, most states where unions are strongly supported through state law also tend to be big-government states, with very heavy bureaucracy and forms in triplicate for almost everything except taking a dump. Also there are downsides to unions, like making it harder to GET a job in the first place, and the unions that bleed their host dry (United Auto Workers comes to mind).

    Pass.


    Also, you claim I said something was your fault... please quote where I said that because I am fairly sure I did not blame you for anything, other than being uninformed about certain things.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #83
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    As it turns out, most states where unions are strongly supported through state law also tend to be big-government states, with very heavy bureaucracy and forms in triplicate for almost everything except taking a dump. Also there are downsides to unions, like making it harder to GET a job in the first place, and the unions that bleed their host dry (United Auto Workers comes to mind).

    Pass.


    Also, you claim I said something was your fault... please quote where I said that because I am fairly sure I did not blame you for anything, other than being uninformed about certain things.
    And you are clearly just as uninformed on others. Police unions, which are they norm here, don't make it one bit harder to become a police officer and provide their members with salary and benefits that are pretty hard to beat these days in a job that only requires a high school education. I can also assure you that you would be making substantially more working for a power company here as they are also primarily union. Since your original complaint centered around how much you have to go through to earn 30k a year, the conclusion I'd reach is you are living in a state that has adopted many conservative positions regarding labor to the predictable detriment of those who actually work for a living. I actually spent five years in a state where employers thought they owned their employees and would never want to repeat the experience. I guess the serf lifestyle just appeals to some and not to others.

  4. #84
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    Yeah, that freedom is a real bitch, right Loki97? How are you any less a serf working for a union?

  5. #85
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yeah, that freedom is a real bitch, right Loki97? How are you any less a serf working for a union?
    Unions are composed of their members, not corporate executives who look on hourly workers as an expendable resource. They have higher average pay for the same job as their non union counterparts and usually better benefits as well. About the worst thing that can be said about them is they mostly use seniority to determine job advancement. If you are a brown noser looking to blaze your way to the top in six months by inhabiting the boss's colon, it isn't the environment for you. Having worked in an environment where employees had no real protection from management whims, I can state that no one except the bosses' pets were happy there. Strangely, most of the people I hear vilify unions the most are those who have never been part of one and base all their information on propaganda. I don't know of any union workers who would willingly trade their position for a non union one.

  6. #86
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    It's a shame no one at UC Davis exercised their "stand your ground" rights and shot and killed the man that was brutally attacking a bunch of sitting college students.

  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    I tend to believe anyone so easily deflected from the pursuit of a higher education by a few hours of noise outside will struggle out in the real world. They need to nut-up and power through. (Having been regaled by many college graduates of their stories of college life an hour or two spent not at the books seems more the routine than a rarity.)

    Seems like a whole lot of cryin' over spilt milk...

    Goshin-
    Not sure what the list of almost hurts you have gotten over the years means in all this. I'll gladly take what you were paid to almost get hurt when I was getting shot, tore up by shrapnel, torn open pretty good by military barbed wire- THAT is some serious wire, along with a few other 'minor' injuries long since forgotten...

    So what is your point?

    Anything short of being bit by a dog is OK to do to protesting citizens?

    Can we beat them with barbed wire whips?

    Anytime a citizen wins a lawsuit after police action you can bet your best barbed wire the payout WILL be higher than the cop's annual salary... again what is your point?

    Sawyer-
    Perhaps you want to move to a country that treats it's protesters that way... perhaps you would be happier, you seem quite unhappy with the way things are done here.

    Whoever posted the cops were being pinned in by the other students- it seems a bit much to accept. The LT was quite quick to spray the sitting students, what, he thought those surrounding the other officers after the spraying were LESS a threat, or violating the peace LESS?

  8. #88
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    And you are clearly just as uninformed on others. Police unions, which are they norm here, don't make it one bit harder to become a police officer and provide their members with salary and benefits that are pretty hard to beat these days in a job that only requires a high school education. I can also assure you that you would be making substantially more working for a power company here as they are also primarily union. Since your original complaint centered around how much you have to go through to earn 30k a year, the conclusion I'd reach is you are living in a state that has adopted many conservative positions regarding labor to the predictable detriment of those who actually work for a living. I actually spent five years in a state where employers thought they owned their employees and would never want to repeat the experience. I guess the serf lifestyle just appeals to some and not to others.

    You know, you might find that your ideas would be better recieved if they were presented in a manner that lacked the dickish I'm-smarter-than-you tone.


    But, whatever dude.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #89
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-12 @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    481

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    You know, you might find that your ideas would be better recieved if they were presented in a manner that lacked the dickish I'm-smarter-than-you tone.


    But, whatever dude.
    It wasn't my intention to offend you. Much of what you were saying just reminded me of the people I knew in Indiana who whenever it was pointed out that they were living in essentially a caste society with an incredibly corrupt government and little or no economic opportunity would invariably reply "It's that way everywhere". No it isn't but those who promote such things for their own personal gain are glad people think so.

  10. #90
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: UC Davis in $1M Pepper Spray Settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki97 View Post
    I don't know of any union workers who would willingly trade their position for a non union one.
    Then you never met me or anyone like me. I was a union employee. California Teachers Association and later, the California Nurses Association. My hatred of unions is based upon my association with them.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •