Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 412

Thread: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

  1. #131
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,387

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Iran: We Can Hit 35 US Bases in 'Minutes' - ABC News

    This may be the next President's first challenge. So help me God!! If we send troops in there, I'm marching in the streets.
    Good for you Maggie. Our troops have suffered enough.

    Iran has a history of blustering behavior to get attention and to stir up support within the country....the sanctions might actually be hurting them more than we think.

  2. #132
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I think that you are MUCH too optimistic about Iran. Why anyone would think they are the victims here, I don't know. Iran is a country run by religious extremists. They would be completely unpredictable with this kind of power. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.
    Here's the thing though, again. I've provided evidence to support my claims - actual reports of Iran's nuclear programs, reports of the nuclear programs of other ME countries, the opinions ME CIA analysts, academic research, the history of nuclear weapons use by nuclear powers and so on. You have provided ... nothing. You just keep repeating talking points and not responding at all to the reports and research that I've provided. Because of that, your claims don't actually mean anything. Hopefully, you look at the sources I provided and find more information for yourself, but I'm frankly no longer interested in a conversation where I put effort into providing evidence and you don't.

  3. #133
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    well I served in the British army so not sure what the American army was saying but my Army was saying right " lets go get this bastard"
    ....according to your leader and head of command, the Honest Reverend and moralist Mr Blair, Saddam was about to fire missiles that only took 45 minutes reach London.

    Now we have the worlds largest so called US EMBASSY in Bagdad that cost over 5 billion dollars to construct, contains over 600 buildings that house about 15,000 US personell (most of which are private and US state military personell and spies)

    A bit of an overkill for US tourists travelling through Iraq wanting a passport replacement dont you think?

    And lets not mention the oil exploration licenses in western Iraq that were almost entirely tendered out to US and some minor western Oil corporations. (thats if you wish to call it a tender process)

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Here's the thing though, again. I've provided evidence to support my claims - actual reports of Iran's nuclear programs, reports of the nuclear programs of other ME countries, the opinions ME CIA analysts, academic research, the history of nuclear weapons use by nuclear powers and so on. You have provided ... nothing. You just keep repeating talking points and not responding at all to the reports and research that I've provided. Because of that, your claims don't actually mean anything. Hopefully, you look at the sources I provided and find more information for yourself, but I'm frankly no longer interested in a conversation where I put effort into providing evidence and you don't.
    So what? All of that is nothing but opinions and educated guesses. It means nothing in real life! You have NO idea what will happen, and neither do I, but you seem to think that because you've read some articles that you hold some kind of special insight. Well, it doesn't take special insight to see what is plain in front of your nose, unless you don't want to see it.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    I'm not sure how you think nations with nuclear weapons behave, but the prevailing doctrine in both academic and strategic literature and policy analysis is a litany of references to the strategic implications of a nuclear weapon state and how such capability augments the capacity of a country to behave assertively and forcefully within its periphery and abroad. The most highly cited example in history is that of the US and USSR for obvious reasons. Moreover there are plenty of contemporary or near past examples to examine. I'm not sure what you are getting at. This is not a discussion of MAD, that is a separate issue and a valid one.

    Furthermore you have missed my point. I'm not saying Iran would pass along chemical weapons to Hezbollah, that probably would cross a redline even if the state had nuclear weapons and would incite a like minded retaliation. The issue is that Iran has consistently, since the 1979 revolution, sought regional hegemony with a religious-nationalist tint. In pursuit of this it has incited and attempted to foment rebellions in Saudi Arabia and along the Gulf littoral, it has battled for control over the future of Iraq in the hopes of winning another firm ally, extended ties to the Houthi rebels of Northern Yemen as a possible conduit for Iranian power to upset Saudi power in Yemen and Najran and Asir, it has pursued the creation of strong proxies in Lebanon to balance against Israel and to assist in the cementing of power with Syria, and of course it has funneled weapons and aid to Hamas as a means to counterbalance the GCC backed Palestinian Authority, etc etc.

    A nuclear weapon would significantly reduce Iran's reasons for limited its assistance to these groups and in restraining its activities abroad. Why? Because a nuclear option no matter how weak massively reduces the prospect that a Western or Gulf coalition will strike back at you. It adds a tremendous layer of doubt to every possible conventional or unconventional encounter.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Good for you Maggie. Our troops have suffered enough.

    Iran has a history of blustering behavior to get attention and to stir up support within the country....the sanctions might actually be hurting them more than we think.
    US bases are less than 200km from Iranian borders, I would damn well hope their missiles can hit in far less than 35 minutes.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I'm not sure how you think nations with nuclear weapons behave, but the prevailing doctrine in both academic and strategic literature and policy analysis is a litany of references to the strategic implications of a nuclear weapon state and how such capability augments the capacity of a country to behave assertively and forcefully within its periphery and abroad. The most highly cited example in history is that of the US and USSR for obvious reasons. Moreover there are plenty of contemporary or near past examples to examine. I'm not sure what you are getting at. This is not a discussion of MAD, that is a separate issue and a valid one.

    Furthermore you have missed my point. I'm not saying Iran would pass along chemical weapons to Hezbollah, that probably would cross a redline even if the state had nuclear weapons and would incite a like minded retaliation. The issue is that Iran has consistently, since the 1979 revolution, sought regional hegemony with a religious-nationalist tint. In pursuit of this it has incited and attempted to foment rebellions in Saudi Arabia and along the Gulf littoral, it has battled for control over the future of Iraq in the hopes of winning another firm ally, extended ties to the Houthi rebels of Northern Yemen as a possible conduit for Iranian power to upset Saudi power in Yemen and Najran and Asir, it has pursued the creation of strong proxies in Lebanon to balance against Israel and to assist in the cementing of power with Syria, and of course it has funneled weapons and aid to Hamas as a means to counterbalance the GCC backed Palestinian Authority, etc etc.

    A nuclear weapon would significantly reduce Iran's reasons for limited its assistance to these groups and in restraining its activities abroad. Why? Because a nuclear option no matter how weak massively reduces the prospect that a Western or Gulf coalition will strike back at you. It adds a tremendous layer of doubt to every possible conventional or unconventional encounter.
    Awesome post, and the last paragraph is something that common sense should tell everybody.

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,387

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    US bases are less than 200km from Iranian borders, I would damn well hope their missiles can hit in far less than 35 minutes.
    Well we would have to worry IF we were going to invade. But we are not.

  9. #139
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Well we would have to worry IF we were going to invade. But we are not.
    we?

    why is the US always talking about war?

  10. #140
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    re: Iran is heating up . . . [W:259]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You made the claim so you should provide links to substantiate it. That is just proper etiquette.
    I thought that Armajinedad wanted to eradicate Jews?

    They seem to love him in Iran

    ahmadinejad_meeting_with_jews.jpg

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •