Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

  1. #61
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    The primary reason that coal is hurting is the drastic drop in the price of natural gas. Another major reason is the economic slowdown which has reduced the demand for steel and thus steel production, which is highly dependent on coal. And stricter EPA regs have also played a part.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The primary reason that coal is hurting is the drastic drop in the price of natural gas. Another major reason is the economic slowdown which has reduced the demand for steel and thus steel production, which is highly dependent on coal. And stricter EPA regs have also played a part.

    The economy is growing slowly, not in a recession. Natural gas prices have been rising for months. A second term of Obama will destroy the coal industry. Perhaps not a bad thing, but try and be honest.

  3. #63
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The primary reason that coal is hurting is the drastic drop in the price of natural gas. Another major reason is the economic slowdown which has reduced the demand for steel and thus steel production, which is highly dependent on coal. And stricter EPA regs have also played a part.
    Natural Gas is killing everything. Including nuclear. Nuclear plant proposals have essentially died since natural gas prices disrupted the market. America's nuclear revival was battered by Japan and executed by Natural Gas. Solar, Wind and hydro are feeling serious pressure. Even waste to electricity can't compete after facility costs.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #64
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    The economy is growing slowly, not in a recession. Natural gas prices have been rising for months. A second term of Obama will destroy the coal industry. Perhaps not a bad thing, but try and be honest.
    True, NG prices have been rising for several months ... but they are still lower than they've been since 2002, and are about 1/3 where they were at their peak in '08.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  5. #65
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,777

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    True, NG prices have been rising for several months ... but they are still lower than they've been since 2002, and are about 1/3 where they were at their peak in '08.
    Im curious, what is it you think is driving increases in costs in coal based energy production?

  6. #66
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    New coal-fired generators just are not as good a return on investment as other options for large-scale generation. The old ones were already built so keeping them online was a cost-benefit analysis as EPA compliance costs were added on. I've read that some municipalities that provide the utilities have been exploring partnering up to try to build some small coal or coal-gas hybrid plants with the hope of being able to generate enough revenue to offset some of the cost to purchase their whole supply off the grid, or at least to level out the cost so their customers/residents are not so vulnerable to price spikes in both gas and electric in the winter months.

  7. #67
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Im curious, what is it you think is driving increases in costs in coal based energy production?
    I'm sorry, have you posted something indicating that costs in coal energy production are responsible for the shift away from coal? Because the OP's article, and most of what I've read, indicates that the reason for the shift is cheaper alternatives -- not any dramatic rise in coal energy costs.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  8. #68
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Almost everything in life has pros and cons. With the energy industry, jobs are the pros. I leave it as an exercise to you to rediscover what the cons are.


    That makes absolutely no sense. Most developed nations are addicted to fossil fuels, pure and simple, and we are no exception. Kicking the can down the road by drill, drill, drilling is not going to solve our long-term problem. And, oh yeah, I'd like for sea levels to stay where they are, thank you.
    whether or not we pursue frakking will have no effect whatsoever on sea levels, and green energy unicorns are a pipe dream. At best they are an answer in the future, not the present. The only question is whether or not we import more oil from nations with worse environmental records over shipping routes prone to spill, or whether we don't.

  9. #69
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,777

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I'm sorry, have you posted something indicating that costs in coal energy production are responsible for the shift away from coal? Because the OP's article, and most of what I've read, indicates that the reason for the shift is cheaper alternatives -- not any dramatic rise in coal energy costs.
    Ostrich.jpg

    Closure of Chicago's Crawford, Fisk electric plants ends coal era - Chicago Tribune

    The plant closings came after Midwest Generation declined to invest in expensive upgrades to meet federal air standards. In the last 2 1/2 years, 120 of the country's 520 coal-fired generating plants have been shuttered because the needed environmental retrofits were deemed financially impractical.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,774

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post




    whether or not we pursue frakking will have no effect whatsoever on sea levels, and green energy unicorns are a pipe dream. At best they are an answer in the future, not the present. The only question is whether or not we import more oil from nations with worse environmental records over shipping routes prone to spill, or whether we don't.
    Seriously? Come on, cut out the pseudoscience and we can talk. The energy industry is the only industry where they get to dump much of their waste for free.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •