Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

  1. #31
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    So where are the power plant closeings?

    Where is the reduction in coal use related to the EPA regulations?

    Your story has no details and no connection to any EPA regulations.

    it is just a fire the plebes to punish the "socialist" president act.........

    From EIA
    "In 2011, the amount of coal produced at U.S. coal mines was 1,094.3 million short tons."

    So they are reducing production 1.4% in USA. A irrelivant amount.........

  2. #32
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Coal...Really? Thats what your going to blame on Obama, the worldwide decline of the coal industry?
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  3. #33
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,098

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    It begins... The lay offs are coming thanks to Obama's new EPA regs, which is just what our economy needed.

    Four more years... I don't think so.


    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us...ef=todayspaper
    ..and where in the article does it attribute the closing to EPA regs?

    What about the nearly 40% decline in the price of coal over the past year? How do you think that may have fit into the Company's decision to shutter the mines? Sorry, that would be a free market explanation and we all know how much Regressives hate the free market.

    1 Year Coal Prices and Coal Price Charts - InvestmentMine

    Nice piece of journalism on your part. Nice baseless spin on a story to suit your political world view. Send your resume to Fox, you are exactly the type of guy that can go far in that organization. They love people that fill in the blanks from their own narrow world view and call it in-depth reporting.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 09-28-12 at 12:12 AM.

  4. #34
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ..and where in the article does it attribute the closing to EPA regs?

    What about the nearly 40% decline in the price of coal over the past year? How do you think that may have fit into the Company's decision to shutter the mines? Sorry, that would be a free market explanation and we all know how much Regressives hate the free market.

    1 Year Coal Prices and Coal Price Charts - InvestmentMine

    Nice piece of journalism on your part. Nice baseless spin on a story to suit your political world view. Send your resume to Fox, you are exactly the type of guy that can go far in that organization. They love people that fill in the blanks from their own narrow world view and call it in-depth reporting.
    Maybe you missed post #5

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    From the Wall Street Journal:

    The coal industry has been hit by competition from cheap natural gas, but Alpha made clear in its announcement that an equal problem is a Washington “regulatory environment that’s aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal.” That’s a direct reference to the deluge of Obama Environmental Protection Agency regulations designed to force the closure of coal-fired power plants.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Grimm-
    so because a coal company says it is the EPA it must be so? Nevermind the shift in energy trends, nevermind the eastern coal is soft, dirty, more expensive to mine and most mines are death traps waiting to kill miners.

    If a coal company says it...well it must be true...

  6. #36
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,735

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You don't get it. We just don't have the natural gas resources to last us going forward. So, if we allow the coal infrastructure to die, strangle it out as we are, when the natural gas supplies start to fall and/or folks start to realise they've traded cleaner air for deadly poisoning of the water and soil, we've up the creek without a paddle. We have to pay big time to get the coal industry started again and all those clean coal initiatives will have been abandoned.

    The feds are digging us into yet another energy hole, but hey, who cares right? As long as Obama can say he cleaned things up and can be re-elected. Suckers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    1. Petroleum exports have nothing to do with this topic. Mentioning it here is nothing but a diversion and a space filler for your post. Irrelevant.

    2. One of the reasons, as I've illustrated with my links, for the parity of coal and natural gas prices is the increase in costs to the coal industry due to Obama's regulations and meddling in the market.

    Obama needs to just leave American business the frack alone. He's screwing things up left and right. And costs for everything in this country are rising thanks to him. Freakin' liberals!!
    So you trust Big Coal to tell the truth? Really? Please cite for me the exact regulations and an unbiased study that proves that these regulations were the primary cause of coal mines shutting down.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  7. #37
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Dude. Even the President said he was going to bankrupt these guys. This isn't exactly The Mystery Of The Century.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    So you trust Big Coal to tell the truth? Really? Please cite for me the exact regulations and an unbiased study that proves that these regulations were the primary cause of coal mines shutting down.
    Yes, I do trust them to tell the truth...especially when it's backed up by other sources...which I've posted.

    Look, keep your tactics in your tool belt. I'm not going to cite any regs and I never said regs were the primary cause. I gave my sources and you can believe them or not.

    So, dude...if you want to prove YOUR position, you are going to have to cite your own sources.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  9. #39
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Coal...Really? Thats what your going to blame on Obama, the worldwide decline of the coal industry?
    Hmmm...

    Now I don't know if you are moving the goal posts...or raising a straw man...but this isn't about the "worldwide" decline of the coal industry. It's about U.S. coal companies.

    I guess you are trying to be clever and use two liberal tactics at the same time. I'll be generous and give you a "C" for effort.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #40
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: Coal Company Plans to Close Several Mines

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Hmmm...

    Now I don't know if you are moving the goal posts...or raising a straw man...but this isn't about the "worldwide" decline of the coal industry. It's about U.S. coal companies.

    I guess you are trying to be clever and use two liberal tactics at the same time. I'll be generous and give you a "C" for effort.
    lol so the US coal companies dont follow the world trend?
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •