Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

  1. #21
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think this is about the only time this will EVER be relevant in a thread at DP:


    The President and Secretary of State owe the Amish an apology! and it would be understandable if a group of Amish raided Weird Al's home and killed him and his family with sickles for deliberately invoking their rage. You Tube and Google clearly are religious bigots agreeing to inflame murderous violence by not pulling this video. Your insensitivity to the Amish by posting this is shocking.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    actually two of the agents were killed by their own people

    and none of the davidians were convicted of murder meaning they were justified or at least excused in wasting the batf goons that were shot.

    it was a publicity stunt by the ATF that was facing funding cuts in congress.
    Yes, they weren't convicted because the majority of them decided to set the building on fire. You think David Koresh wouldn't be in jail today if he'd simply come out of his hole? The guy was a Jim Jones wannabe.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #23
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, they weren't convicted because the majority of them decided to set the building on fire. You think David Koresh wouldn't be in jail today if he'd simply come out of his hole? The guy was a Jim Jones wannabe.
    He was nutcase but the raid was a complete abomination. It was a publicity stunt by a bunch of assholes.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    He was nutcase but the raid was a complete abomination. It was a publicity stunt by a bunch of assholes.
    Sure and David Koresh was a crazy **** as demonstrated by his actions. You can blame the ATF all you want but in the end blame lies on the citizen who decided it was reasonable to lock himself, kids and women and a ****load of guns when they had federal agents at their door.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #25
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, they weren't convicted because the majority of them decided to set the building on fire. You think David Koresh wouldn't be in jail today if he'd simply come out of his hole? The guy was a Jim Jones wannabe.

    They could have arrested him when he came to town on their weapons charge. Arresting him wasn't the goal. Eliminating the "religious cult" was. They were 100% successful in that goal. Joe Biden's statement that the Branch Dravidians "committed suicide" - with photos of little child dead as so bent backward by muscle convolutions from the poison sprayed into the building is why I have always despised Joe Biden irregardless of any partisan consideration.

    If they had arrested David Koresh on the weapon's charge even with the maximum he'd have been out on bond that day and even maximum sentence served within a year. Why not tell the actually charge on the warrant - used to kill the women, child and rest using military tanks?

    But your message as a total partisan Democrat confirms my point. You, they, wanted Koresh and the cult destroyed, not to arrest him on a minor warrant.
    But, then, OMG they were polygamists! Therefore they all needed to die!!!

  6. #26
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Sure and David Koresh was a crazy **** as demonstrated by his actions. You can blame the ATF all you want but in the end blame lies on the citizen who decided it was reasonable to lock himself, kids and women and a ****load of guns when they had federal agents at their door.
    you seem to forget that they were attacked for no reason. they did not do anything that justified that initial assault

  7. #27
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you seem to forget that they were attacked for no reason. they did not do anything that justified that initial assault
    Except the authorities had a legally obtained search warrant to inspect for illegal activity. How did Koresh react to a legal warrant? Well, we all know the story. This would have been a run of the mill inspection if Koresh hadn't gone full retard.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #28
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    They could have arrested him when he came to town on their weapons charge. Arresting him wasn't the goal. Eliminating the "religious cult" was. They were 100% successful in that goal. Joe Biden's statement that the Branch Dravidians "committed suicide" - with photos of little child dead as so bent backward by muscle convolutions from the poison sprayed into the building is why I have always despised Joe Biden irregardless of any partisan consideration.

    If they had arrested David Koresh on the weapon's charge even with the maximum he'd have been out on bond that day and even maximum sentence served within a year. Why not tell the actually charge on the warrant - used to kill the women, child and rest using military tanks?

    But your message as a total partisan Democrat confirms my point. You, they, wanted Koresh and the cult destroyed, not to arrest him on a minor warrant.
    But, then, OMG they were polygamists! Therefore they all needed to die!!!
    Tl/dr.

    Quit complaining about a legally obtained search warrant being used against a nut bag like Koresh.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Well, not to derail the excellent discussion of the Branch Davidians above, in a nutshell, this is why the charges and convictions are appealing to me when normally, I do not approve of hate crime laws:

    This was an instance where a religious leader had gained control of a group and used his power to punish former members for leaving. It seems fairly clear he had this little community in a box, so that people who wanted to be Amish and also wanted some relief from him were forced to move away. The beard and hair cuttings took place after the other Amish bishops chastised Mullet for his demands that his former members be shunned -- which is doubtless a terrible penalty for any Amish person.

    The level of intimidation was clearly very high, and far more than even a cross burning on your front yard. Yet without this law, there'd have been very little the police could do, and most likely, not enough to deter Mullet.

    I don't expect a suitable set of facts for such a charge will arise very often, but I am not upset that if it does, there's a legal basis for an adequate police response.

  10. #30
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Amish Beard-cutting Attacks Verdicts: Guilty

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Except the authorities had a legally obtained search warrant to inspect for illegal activity. How did Koresh react to a legal warrant? Well, we all know the story. This would have been a run of the mill inspection if Koresh hadn't gone full retard.
    for what-they got the warrant based on claims of child abuse-an area in which the ATF had no jurisdiction.

    Why did the murder charges get flushed? because the Davidians were justified in killing or shooting at the ATF

    btw the fury foreman said if they knew some statist judge was going to give those people way out of line far above the guideline sentences for some guns that MAY have existed the jury would have acquitted the survivors on ALL COUNTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •