Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 277

Thread: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggling?

  1. #111
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh, so you see debate within a party as a bad thing? No surprise that a proud demo where only lock step will do would think that.



    97%? Where in the heck do you come up with that? At best, people self identifying as democrats in the US is around 42%, and in the recent years that number has fallen.

    97%, heh, heh....good one....

    It's proving bad for republicans.

    Who do the republicans represent besides the rich? Democrats represent people; even the tea party SSDI recipients
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  2. #112
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Really? Well, the republicans are falling apart because of all the factions inside the party wanting a voice. For democrats, who have represented 97% of Americans for decades, we know what we want.
    You'd be good to remember history. Republicans and Democrats have had quite the time quelling their factions. During the 1960s, both parties experienced that well, carried it into the 1970s. During the Bush years factions quashed the supposed mandate after 2004. Inner-party battles are a reality.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #113
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    You'd be good to remember history. Republicans and Democrats have had quite the time quelling their factions. During the 1960s, both parties experienced that well, carried it into the 1970s. During the Bush years factions quashed the supposed mandate after 2004. Inner-party battles are a reality.

    During Reagan and the republican religious
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  4. #114
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Oh, I didn't say it was what I believed as the reason Romney hasn't broken through to a large share of the electorate. I'm saying you've placed blame in the wrong area.

    People (Americans) need to be smarter. I've urged my friends, family and co-workers to do more than just listen to the media whether it's CNN, FoxNews, any of the 4 major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) or the other cables shows (MSNBC, CNBC, etc.), or even talk radio for that matter. I think we're all better off studying the issues and finding the facts for ourselves. Hence, the reason I never rely solely on one news source for my information. I review a multitude of news sources routinely to get to the truth - NYTimes/Post, Washington Times/Post, Chicago Tribune, Politico, theHill.com, C-SPAN, House.gov, Senate.gov, Whitehouse.gov, National Journal/Review, WSJ, Reuters, WorldNews, etc., etc., etc. I try to keep abreast of it all include the so-called fact checkers - Factcheck.org and Politifact.com (speaking of which, has anyone noticed that the site has been hijacked recently?) and make my own assessments. Moreover, I read ALOT books on various subjects from U.S. history to current affairs to sharping my position on the issues.

    I'd encourage you to do that same if you don't currently do so in order to be part of "a well-informed electorate".
    I agree with your steps in becoming a well-informed voter. The problem is that the People don't do these things. They do rely on the highlighted media and Obama knows this. And that...is why Romney is struggling.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  5. #115
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    During Reagan and the republican religious
    I'm not sure I can extrapolate your point with that short statement. I don't want to misunderstand you, so maybe it should be best I ask for a bit more elaboration, if you'd be permitting.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #116
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    It's proving bad for republicans.
    I think you see only what you wish to see...Getting back to basics is never a bad thing...

    Who do the republicans represent besides the rich?
    People like myself who believe that government should be limited, and doesn't exist to take care of me. If you think I am "rich" then I have to chuckle....

    Democrats represent people; even the tea party SSDI recipients
    My bet is that those are demo's that are closer to repubs than you'd like to admit...You know the dreaded 'blue dogs'..... And most of your party sees them as obstructionists today.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #117
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The problem is that the "boost" you speak of was taken advantage of by those looking to use the system to sustain their lives indefinitely, while the democrat party fell right in line to capitalize on the power of that group as a loyal voting block. Problem is that as times get tougher, and money is short these programs, and people exploiting them are resented by those of us still out here trying to make it work.
    I have to disagree with your analysis. We spend much more in corporate welfare than we do social welfare. The idea that a large majority of the public would rather live poor so they can get food stamps is a bit hard to grasp. People who are poor have not been living a comfortable life style on the government dole. However, executives in big corporations have been living large because politicians give them favors for campaign donations. This happens on both sides, but I see the GOP catoring more to the rich than anyone else these days. When Ryan talks about the takers and makers, he is clearly saying that the poor take from the rich. This is not the truth. The rich get more than their share of our tax money and they use it to build bigger personal wealth.

  8. #118
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I agree with your steps in becoming a well-informed voter. The problem is that the People don't do these things. They do rely on the highlighted media and Obama knows this. And that...is why Romney is struggling.
    Romney is struggling because he can not send a clear message. It is hard to know what he really stands for.

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    I have to disagree with your analysis. We spend much more in corporate welfare than we do social welfare.
    This has already been demonstrated as a hilarious lie. You can only allege this crap by constricting the definition of welfare to a couple small programs and excluding all the largest welfare programs. That's called "creative" accounting.

    People who are poor have not been living a comfortable life style on the government dole. However, executives in big corporations have been living large because politicians give them favors for campaign donations. This happens on both sides, but I see the GOP catoring more to the rich than anyone else these days.
    That's because it's already been decided who will win this next election. The GOP needed a head to deliver and to refocus on 2016. No one has ever really embraced Romney, so how TF did he get the nomination, of all people? He's the decoy for an election that was decided at least four years ago. His job is to fall on his sword.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    Romney is struggling because he can not send a clear message. It is hard to know what he really stands for.
    Did you see his interview on "60 Minutes" this evening?

    He sounded pretty clear to me.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •