Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 277

Thread: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggling?

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Why should I list anything Romney has proposed? I'm talking about why he is struggling and I've given my reason.
    And so you believe Romney is failing to convince people to vote for him has more to do with "distraction tactics" from Pres. Obama/Democrats and "the media" helping to foster said distractions than Romney himself presenting HIS concrete ideas of job growth, tax policy, foreign relations and social issues to the general public in ways that illustrates he understands OUR needs, as well as what this country needs in order to move forward?

    If that's what you truly believe, it's no wonder Mitt Romney is failing to move the electoral map more his way.

  2. #102
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Define "Old style conservatives"....
    The old style conservatives are the ones who came up with ideas like the individual mandate on health care reform and earned income credit for the poor to give them a boost so they could work toward getting off welfare. The new conservatives see those ideas as socialism. Conservatives today are more like Ryan who want to legislate with an Ayn Rand ideology and convert our economic system to a pure capitalist system. The new conservatives would call the old ones liberal.

  3. #103
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, that is what it has become as of late...I'd say over the past 30 years or so... So tell me, are you one of those that will abstain from this election?
    Of course not. I'm not a foolish independent voter. I'm jumping into the fray like anyone else. Perhaps a bit more self-aware, but I am in it. I am voting for Romney while also voting for a Democrat to take our open Senate seat. That being said, this tendency is not new to the past 30 years. Such talk is utter foolishness. It's been around since the Federalists clashed with the Anti-Federalists and the Republicans. It's continued ever since.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #104
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Define "Old style conservatives"....
    Principled people, who like regular folk, I take it. The problem is that "old style conservatives" like the Federalists were elitists and clamped down on social freedoms in interest of maintaining order. That puts a damper on the Fallen Angel rhetoric from liberals.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #105
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    And so you believe Romney is failing to convince people to vote for him has more to do with "distraction tactics" from Pres. Obama/Democrats and "the media" helping to foster said distractions than Romney himself presenting HIS concrete ideas of job growth, tax policy, foreign relations and social issues to the general public in ways that illustrates he understands OUR needs, as well as what this country needs in order to move forward?

    If that's what you truly believe, it's no wonder Mitt Romney is failing to move the electoral map more his way.
    I think if there were less distractions then people would be listening to the messages Romney HAS been presenting instead of being...distracted.

    I'm happy to see that you agree with me.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #106
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    The old style conservatives are the ones who came up with ideas like the individual mandate on health care reform and earned income credit for the poor to give them a boost so they could work toward getting off welfare. The new conservatives see those ideas as socialism. Conservatives today are more like Ryan who want to legislate with an Ayn Rand ideology and convert our economic system to a pure capitalist system. The new conservatives would call the old ones liberal.
    The problem is that the "boost" you speak of was taken advantage of by those looking to use the system to sustain their lives indefinitely, while the democrat party fell right in line to capitalize on the power of that group as a loyal voting block. Problem is that as times get tougher, and money is short these programs, and people exploiting them are resented by those of us still out here trying to make it work.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #107
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The problem is that the "boost" you speak of was taken advantage of by those looking to use the system to sustain their lives indefinitely, while the democrat party fell right in line to capitalize on the power of that group as a loyal voting block. Problem is that as times get tougher, and money is short these programs, and people exploiting them are resented by those of us still out here trying to make it work.
    Really? Well, the republicans are falling apart because of all the factions inside the party wanting a voice. For democrats, who have represented 97% of Americans for decades, we know what we want.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  8. #108
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    And so you believe Romney is failing to convince people to vote for him has more to do with "distraction tactics" from Pres. Obama/Democrats and "the media" helping to foster said distractions than Romney himself presenting HIS concrete ideas of job growth, tax policy, foreign relations and social issues to the general public in ways that illustrates he understands OUR needs, as well as what this country needs in order to move forward?

    If that's what you truly believe, it's no wonder Mitt Romney is failing to move the electoral map more his way.
    Romney has flip flopped on what he thinks more than even McCain and Palin did COMBINED. And he showed us who he supports. The 1% of which he is now and has always been a member.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  9. #109
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I think if there were less distractions then people would be listening to the messages Romney HAS been presenting instead of being...distracted.

    I'm happy to see that you agree with me.
    Oh, I didn't say it was what I believed as the reason Romney hasn't broken through to a large share of the electorate. I'm saying you've placed blame in the wrong area.

    People (Americans) need to be smarter. I've urged my friends, family and co-workers to do more than just listen to the media whether it's CNN, FoxNews, any of the 4 major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) or the other cables shows (MSNBC, CNBC, etc.), or even talk radio for that matter. I think we're all better off studying the issues and finding the facts for ourselves. Hence, the reason I never rely solely on one news source for my information. I review a multitude of news sources routinely to get to the truth - NYTimes/Post, Washington Times/Post, Chicago Tribune, Politico, theHill.com, C-SPAN, House.gov, Senate.gov, Whitehouse.gov, National Journal/Review, WSJ, Reuters, WorldNews, etc., etc., etc. I try to keep abreast of it all include the so-called fact checkers - Factcheck.org and Politifact.com (speaking of which, has anyone noticed that the site has been hijacked recently?) and make my own assessments. Moreover, I read ALOT books on various subjects from U.S. history to current affairs to sharping my position on the issues.

    I'd encourage you to do that same if you don't currently do so in order to be part of "a well-informed electorate".
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 09-23-12 at 07:44 PM.

  10. #110
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Voters say they’re worse off after four years of Obama, so why is Romney struggli

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Really? Well, the republicans are falling apart because of all the factions inside the party wanting a voice.
    Oh, so you see debate within a party as a bad thing? No surprise that a proud demo where only lock step will do would think that.

    For democrats, who have represented 97% of Americans for decades, we know what we want.
    97%? Where in the heck do you come up with that? At best, people self identifying as democrats in the US is around 42%, and in the recent years that number has fallen.

    97%, heh, heh....good one....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •