Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 131

Thread: Chick-fil-A changes position

  1. #61
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Where did you see it reported that Chick-Fail-A was suffering a decline in sales?
    Do you actually believe this change in position was brought about "out of the goodness of their hearts"? Serious. This is plain and simply a business decision.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #62
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Do you actually believe this change in position was brought about "out of the goodness of their hearts"? Serious. This is plain and simply a business decision.

    First of all I see no proof other than a Chicago Alderman that this is even true, secondly, I'm in business and it would be extremely difficult to gauge any economic information so soon after this event last month. I'd need at least a year, maybe 6 months before I could claim a loss in sales due to any specific variable.

    I don't know why they would change their minds anyway? For what reason; even if it was financial, surely the hit wouldn't be that bad? What's wrong with supporting traditional marriage over homo marriage? I mean I'm sick and tired of the rhetoric from folks like you using words like bigot and homophobe as if they have any real substance to them in this context.. It's laughable frankly and only works on people who have weak constitutions. A complicit media machine along with a science light industry is not enough to turn me from the all important realization that men and women are supposed to be together sexually. From that natural (in the common understanding) relationship spawns a bond we call marriage. We recognize it and as a society we embrace and revere the bonding as beneficial to us as a whole. I don't see that in MSM and FSF bondings. I see a breakdown in the evolution engine that drives our species and all species on Earth. You want to embrace that design, then all the power to you, but to say that anyone that does not rever it must be a bigot, is frankly laughable.

    You and the homophiles like you are free to continue on your campaign for rights, but I and many others are also free to oppose them. Opposing them seems more appropriate than supporting a socity that would openly embrace such clearly unusual pairings.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #63
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Do you actually believe this change in position was brought about "out of the goodness of their hearts"? Serious. This is plain and simply a business decision.
    So the answer to Jerry's question is "nowhere" then. You're making an assumption based on your prejudice against Chik-Fil-A.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  4. #64
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    So the answer to Jerry's question is "nowhere" then. You're making an assumption based on your prejudice against Chik-Fil-A.
    It seems pretty obvious that if a company changes its stance on an issue, it's doing so for some business related reason. Does this mean Chik-Fil-A is currently seeing lost profits? Not necessarily. It might mean that. It might mean they're worried it'll start to happen. It might be some more subtle public relations concern. Who the hell knows? But yeah, companies make decisions largely based on concerns of profit and the welfare of the company more broadly, so it stands to reason that profits have something to do with this decision (assuming it's true).

  5. #65
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    It seems pretty obvious that if a company changes its stance on an issue, it's doing so for some business related reason. Does this mean Chik-Fil-A is currently seeing lost profits? Not necessarily. It might mean that. It might mean they're worried it'll start to happen. It might be some more subtle public relations concern. Who the hell knows? But yeah, companies make decisions largely based on concerns of profit and the welfare of the company more broadly, so it stands to reason that profits have something to do with this decision (assuming it's true).
    Hardly. My guess is that the damage if any has already been done, and no one who wouldn't eat there before is going to eat there now because of a change of heart. This is why I can't believe they actually did change anything? The donations are from the owner and I suspect that they'll continue privately so why change your position at all?

    Now, if you compare this to the Government Motors situation you can see quite clearly and with a full illustration of why they want to distance themselves from ANY form of political influence.

    This however is not the same.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  6. #66
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Chik-Fil-A didn't change its stance on anything. Don't know why people keep saying that.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  7. #67
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Hardly. My guess is that the damage if any has already been done,
    You just said in your last post that the effects, if any, wouldn't be noticeable for like six months; and you were probably right. So no, the damage has not already been done. It's a work in progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    and no one who wouldn't eat there before is going to eat there now because of a change of heart.
    To the extent that people would boycott the place for their political position, they'd certainly stop boycotting if they got the change in position that caused the boycott.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    This is why I can't believe they actually did change anything? The donations are from the owner and I suspect that they'll continue privately so why change your position at all?
    No idea. But since they're a business, probably due to some aspect of profits, branding/marketing, or the like.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    You just said in your last post that the effects, if any, wouldn't be noticeable for like six months; and you were probably right. So no, the damage has not already been done. It's a work in progress.



    To the extent that people would boycott the place for their political position, they'd certainly stop boycotting if they got the change in position that caused the boycott.



    No idea. But since they're a business, probably due to some aspect of profits, branding/marketing, or the like.
    Private company and the owner is still an evil homophobe so even if they changed their position on the surface it likely does not reflect any real change in private.

    Either way, boycot away.. I do it. I don't buy from many companies due to their political leanings.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #69
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Private company and the owner is still an evil homophobe so even if they changed their position on the surface it likely does not reflect any real change in private.

    Either way, boycot away.. I do it. I don't buy from many companies due to their political leanings.

    Tim-
    I've never boycotted anything. I generally don't give a **** what a company's political lean is. On the other hand, I'd never eat at chik-fil-a for the same reason I don't eat any fast food: it's disgusting and really unhealthy.

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Chick-fil-A changes position

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Where did you see it reported that Chick-Fail-A was suffering a decline in sales?
    I didn't. Can you think of another reason they would change their position?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •