Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

  1. #31
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    Tripe. Hm.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  2. #32
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    Personally I've always thought father-daughter dances are creepy and I don't much care if they go the way of the dodo.

  3. #33
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    That's because you're inured to a society determined to destroy everything about masculinity, to the point that a father daughter dance isn't just exclusive, it also has to have improper overtones.

    The perversion isn't the dance; it's the desire to end it.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  4. #34
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    That's because you're inured to a society determined to destroy everything about masculinity,


    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    to the point that a father daughter dance isn't just exclusive, it also has to have improper overtones.

    The perversion isn't the dance; it's the desire to end it.
    You don't think slow dancing has sexual undertones (what are overtones?)? Then, tell me, why don't you see straight men slow dancing together?

  5. #35
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    For the same reason you generally don't see straight men hugging...men don't require expressions of physical intimacy from each other in the way that women need them from men. The precise point of the father/daughter dance is to demonstrate to girls that they can get closeness/intimacy from a male without the necessary expectation of sex.

    That masculine self-control and chastity are laughable concepts to some is disheartening to me. Girls shouldn't learn that the only reason a man wants to touch her is because he wants to bone her, and I certainly will not teach my daughters that.

    ADDED: I hate to give credit to John Mayer for anything, but this line in the chorus of one of his songs is apropos of this conversation: Fathers, be good to your daughters. Daughters will love like you do.

    Stop watching internet porn for a few months and re-orient your brain.
    Last edited by ChuckBerry; 09-29-12 at 10:09 AM.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    They should clean out the warehouse at the grain factory, and go all Footloose.

    I agree with the_recruit except I think what is even more creepy is the trend for "Father-Daughter Dates" in which a father is supposed to take his daughter on a date and show her the proper way a boy should treat a girl.

  7. #37
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law - thestar.com

    In response to a letter from the ACLU, the school district has apparently decided that father-daughter dances and mother-son ballgames violate Rhode Island's gender discrimination laws. Attorneys for the school district say that whereas federal law provides an exemption for these sorts of events, state law does not. The issue was brought to light when a Republican nominee for state senate said he would work toward making that change.

    The ACLU, however, claims that it has nothing to do with state vs. federal law. They argue instead that father-daughter dances foster "blatant stereotypes" that should not be tolerated in this day and age:



    Thus, they don't care so much about the Rhode Island girl who wanted to attend her father-daughter dance without her father - they're more concerned that a school district would go so far as to foster "outdated notions" by arranging a formal dance activity for girls and a baseball game for boys. Of course, they'd be equally unhappy about a father-daughter baseball game or a mother-son dance.

    They didn't comment about what we're supposed to do about the kids who are equally averse to dances and ballgames. Perhaps they want to focus on destroying things one at a time.
    Very sad. We had bring your daughter to work day when I was younger which I'm guessing would be okay according to the ACLU because they were trying to get girls out into the workplace? No one really mentioned anything about the boys so I guess it's okay to be exclusive as long as you're not promoting the typical gender stereotypes.
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  8. #38
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    For the same reason you generally don't see straight men hugging...men don't require expressions of physical intimacy from each other in the way that women need them from men.
    What? I do see straight guys hugging much more often than I see them slow dancing. I have NEVER seen straight guys slow dancing together. Let's take you for example. Would you ever hug a guy? Would you ever slow dance with a guy?

    For me, the answer to the first is yes and I do hug guys. There are a couple of my best friends, my brother, and my father that I see only rarely - maybe once a year. When we do get a chance to see each other, we hug. We don't "require an expression of physical intimacy", it's a ****ing hug. But I have never and will never slow dance with them.

    But who am I to judge - maybe you do slow dance with the guys in your life?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    The precise point of the father/daughter dance is to demonstrate to girls that they can get closeness/intimacy from a male without the necessary expectation of sex.
    You're so full of bull****. That has nothing to do with father/daughter dances, you're just attempting to rationalize it. Father-daughter dances are NOT a learning experience for girls. Don't give me that ****. Are you actually trying to tell me that prior to the dance, all the daughters are thinking "jeez I can't get close with a male without having sex" and then after the dance they're all like "wow, turns out I can get close with a male without having sex! who knew!".

    That's ridiculous. Girls are not stupid and father/daughter dances don't teach them any important revelations.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    That masculine self-control and chastity are laughable concepts to some is disheartening to me. Girls shouldn't learn that the only reason a man wants to touch her is because he wants to bone her, and I certainly will not teach my daughters that.
    Huh? Self-control and chastity have nothing to do with anything we're talking about. I'm not opposed to father/daughter dances because I think fathers are having sex with their daughters. So I don't know where you're getting this.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    ADDED: I hate to give credit to John Mayer for anything, but this line in the chorus of one of his songs is apropos of this conversation: Fathers, be good to your daughters. Daughters will love like you do.
    Please tell me you're not citing a ****ty musician's lyrics in your argument.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Stop watching internet porn for a few months and re-orient your brain.
    What! Yeah, that evil immoral porn has poisoned my brain. Who are you - the Taliban?

  9. #39
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    They should clean out the warehouse at the grain factory, and go all Footloose.

    I agree with the_recruit except I think what is even more creepy is the trend for "Father-Daughter Dates" in which a father is supposed to take his daughter on a date and show her the proper way a boy should treat a girl.
    that is messed up

  10. #40
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,780

    Re: Rhode Island schools ban father-daughter dances, says dances violate law

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    that is messed up
    Only if you're operating under the assumption that dating is somehow necessarily related to sex.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •