Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    Demand should be low right now. Summer is over, the kids are back in school and a whole lot of people are not going to work every day. The price per barrel is under $100 right now. So why the high prices? I suspect we'll hear that when demand is high the price goes up, when demand is low the price goes up, etc.

    Speculators have something to do with it, but that would be price per barrel. If it is because of the cost to refine it it is likely the cost of regulation, which is in effect an imbedded tax. That would be that magic lever in the oval office you guys are flippantly referring to. The oil company record profits argument is another of those "let's go kill the rich guys" arguments. You know the oil companies make less per gallon than even just the federal tax, right? The oil companies find it, pump it, transport it, refine it, store it and transport it again and make less off of it that the government does when they do... nothing. State taxes and distance to ship allow for state to state differences (it's always cheaper in SC than it is here in GA), but I suspect the biggest part of it would be federal taxes at one level or another.

    Let's try this one on, all you Obama supporters. You piss and moan about how much the oil companies are making and want to do something about that, but what about looking to the current administration and demanding they back off on what they are collecting? Same goes for taxes. Quit whining about the rich not paying enough and face the reality. What they pay is only offensive to you because you feel you pay too much. The rich don't make tax law, the government does. If your taxes were as low as they are for the rich (and I understand that they pay a higher percentage but less of their disposable income) then there would be nothing to complain about. You're doing it wrong. Go ahead and equalize it, not by raising theirs but by lowering yours.

  2. #32
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Demand should be low right now. Summer is over, the kids are back in school and a whole lot of people are not going to work every day. The price per barrel is under $100 right now. So why the high prices? I suspect we'll hear that when demand is high the price goes up, when demand is low the price goes up, etc.

    Speculators have something to do with it, but that would be price per barrel. If it is because of the cost to refine it it is likely the cost of regulation, which is in effect an imbedded tax. That would be that magic lever in the oval office you guys are flippantly referring to. The oil company record profits argument is another of those "let's go kill the rich guys" arguments. You know the oil companies make less per gallon than even just the federal tax, right? The oil companies find it, pump it, transport it, refine it, store it and transport it again and make less off of it that the government does when they do... nothing. State taxes and distance to ship allow for state to state differences (it's always cheaper in SC than it is here in GA), but I suspect the biggest part of it would be federal taxes at one level or another.

    Let's try this one on, all you Obama supporters. You piss and moan about how much the oil companies are making and want to do something about that, but what about looking to the current administration and demanding they back off on what they are collecting? Same goes for taxes. Quit whining about the rich not paying enough and face the reality. What they pay is only offensive to you because you feel you pay too much. The rich don't make tax law, the government does. If your taxes were as low as they are for the rich (and I understand that they pay a higher percentage but less of their disposable income) then there would be nothing to complain about. You're doing it wrong. Go ahead and equalize it, not by raising theirs but by lowering yours.
    No. If you think the Obama administration has made some major change to cause this increase, you go find evidence of it.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #33
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,617

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    Gas prices under G W were $1.60 in 2001 and went to $4.40 in 2008. A 275% increase. So what is your point here?

  4. #34
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,121

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    They were below $1.80 in 2008 here in CT.

    gas price.jpg
    Of course, this chart says it all: The $1.84 was a statistical anomaly and never the real sustainable price of gasoline. The fact of the matter is that gasoline prices are about what they were 4 years ago before a world economic slow down pulled the rug out from under oil prices.

    While the assertion is factually true, it is misleading and therefore disingenuous.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 09-18-12 at 12:42 PM.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    Gas prices under G W were $1.60 in 2001 and went to $4.40 in 2008
    and the party of w-stands-for-what's-his-name was voted out of power

    did spencer abraham openly advocate for 8 dollar gas?

    seeya at the pumps, progressives

    wear green

  6. #36
    Student Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 05:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    224

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    Shouldn't conservatives (party of free market capitalism and deregulation) be happy with the price of gas? Are you really advocating that the POTUS is personally responsible for the prices of a commodity....I'm tempted to utter the S word (Socialist).

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    Shouldn't conservatives (party of free market capitalism and deregulation) be happy with the price of gas? Are you really advocating that the POTUS is personally responsible for the prices of a commodity....I'm tempted to utter the S word (Socialist).
    I would be happy with it if I had the opportunity to trade on the pump price of gas, but we don't. We can trade in oil, but the cost of oil is only the start of where the cost comes from. Now if I could trade on the taxed part of it, it would be as close to a sure bet as it gets since taxes over the long term always go up. Kind of like toll bonds, they are a winner but they are very difficult to get your hands on. They are owned by politicians and their friends.

  8. #38
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Of course, this chart says it all: The $1.84 was a statistical anomaly and never the real sustainable price of gasoline. The fact of the matter is that gasoline prices are about what they were 4 years ago before a world economic slow down pulled the rug out from under oil prices.

    While the assertion is factually true, it is misleading and therefore disingenuous.
    I wouldn't whole heartedly agree with your assessment, but yes, saying under two per gallon is disingenuous. But prices four years ago to two years ago were about $2.60. That is a good average for 2 years. Now it is over $4. I would say there has been at least a 33% rise to 50% rise in gas prices over this Presidency.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    Gas and oil prices crashed to these kind of levels because of the largest recession since the Great Depression, like the housing market or any market for that matter the commodities market can experiences bubbles and burst like this one did.

  10. #40
    Advisor Birdzeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Coast - mid Atlantic
    Last Seen
    12-10-16 @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    341

    Re: Gas Prices More Than Double Under Obama: $1.84 to $3.85

    When gas was $4 during the Bush years, conservatives told us that we could not blame Bush. However, now it appears that it's OK to blame Obama. Go figure.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •