Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 270

Thread: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

  1. #231
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Meaningless.. any twerp can issue a fatwa.

    Obviously Rushdie is still alive and kicking.
    There was a failed assassination attempt on his life.

  2. #232
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    So why would he do something that might get him killed?
    For the same reasons other people do. If you spend your life afraid of doing something a little controversial, just because it won't be unanimously palatable, and it might piss some people off, then it makes you little more than a coward. Should American artists, who come out with controversial art degrading christians, abstain from doing so out of fear?
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 07:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    For the same reasons other people do. If you spend your life afraid of doing something a little controversial, just because it won't be unanimously palatable, and it might piss some people off, then it makes you little more than a coward. Should American artists, who come out with controversial art degrading christians, abstain from doing so out of fear?
    Ah so you think the movie was "Art"?

  4. #234
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Ah so you think the movie was "Art"?
    I haven't seen the movie, and am not interested, because it's not really anything that interests me from an artistic standpoint. It was a question regarding freedom of expression. I have recently picked up a new interest and hobby of doing watercolor and pastels. I want to eventually develop my skills to do nudes. Should I be afraid that someone would be offended by nude bodies, due to their religious beliefs about sexuality?
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    Why is he hiding his face? Why isn't he proud of what he's done? It seems like he doesn't want credit for his film. What's the deal?


    Probably due to something like this.....

    PESHAWAR / LAHORE: Federal Railway Minister Ghulam Ahmed Bilour announced that $100,000 will be awarded to the person who kills the maker of the anti-Islam blasphemous film “Innocence of Muslims”.
    Speaking to the media on Saturday, Bilour said that there was no other way to lodge a protest and instill fear among the blasphemers other than murder of the filmmaker. “I request all the rich people to bring out all their money so that the killer can be loaded with dollars and gold.”

    Federal minister announces $100,000 bounty on anti-Islam filmmaker – The Express Tribune


    I Put a Thread up on it in the Middle East. As now a Traders Association has voed to kill him! Their kids, parents, or any relatives.

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Ah so you think the movie was "Art"?
    Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

    It is not up to any religion to determine what art is or isn't, nor should they be allowed to determine freedom of expression.

    But of course that's what happening, and many Americans are going along with the idea that foreign religious leaders should decide what is allowed under the US Constitution.

  7. #237
    Curmudgeon

    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,490
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    It's rather distressing to find out that so many of the people who post to this forum don't know what "free speech" means. Americans have a wide range of ways in which to express political speech, and making a movie critical of a major religion is without question one of those ways.

    The maker of the film in question could expect to receive all sorts of criticism for what he did. But under the American system of government there are certain things he had a right to expect: He had the right to expect to be secure in his person and property, to expect that anyone who attempted violence against him and his would be prevented from doing so if possible and certainly arrested and prosecuted. He had the right to expect that no attempt would be made to restrict the distribution and dissemination of his work if it was in fact supported by viewer demand. He had a right to expect that the Federal Government would not join with a foreign nation to chill and restrict his right to free expression on contrived and trumped up charges. In other words, he had a right to expect that the President and the federal government would not play the part of a tin pot dictator.

    And when the sensibilities and sensitives of foreign nationals are offended, and they demand that "something" be done about this guy, then THEIR LAWS DO NOT TRUMP OUR LAWS. Because we live in America, and they are primitive crap-morons living in a third world ****hole run by theocratic dictators.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  8. #238
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    It's rather distressing to find out that so many of the people who post to this forum don't know what "free speech" means. Americans have a wide range of ways in which to express political speech, and making a movie critical of a major religion is without question one of those ways.

    The maker of the film in question could expect to receive all sorts of criticism for what he did. But under the American system of government there are certain things he had a right to expect: He had the right to expect to be secure in his person and property, to expect that anyone who attempted violence against him and his would be prevented from doing so if possible and certainly arrested and prosecuted. He had the right to expect that no attempt would be made to restrict the distribution and dissemination of his work if it was in fact supported by viewer demand. He had a right to expect that the Federal Government would not join with a foreign nation to chill and restrict his right to free expression on contrived and trumped up charges. In other words, he had a right to expect that the President and the federal government would not play the part of a tin pot dictator.

    And when the sensibilities and sensitives of foreign nationals are offended, and they demand that "something" be done about this guy, then THEIR LAWS DO NOT TRUMP OUR LAWS. Because we live in America, and they are primitive crap-morons living in a third world ****hole run by theocratic dictators.
    He was a felon that was prohibited from using a computer as part of the terms of his parole. He violated those terms, so he's going back to jail. It's not about freedom of speech, it's about a dumb ass that got busted violating his parole.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #239
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I haven't seen the movie, and am not interested, because it's not really anything that interests me from an artistic standpoint. It was a question regarding freedom of expression. I have recently picked up a new interest and hobby of doing watercolor and pastels. I want to eventually develop my skills to do nudes. Should I be afraid that someone would be offended by nude bodies, due to their religious beliefs about sexuality?
    Oh believe me, we WILL be VERY offended. <grin>

  10. #240
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Alleged "Innocence of Muslims Flim Director Taken in for Questioning.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    He was a felon that was prohibited from using a computer as part of the terms of his parole. He violated those terms, so he's going back to jail. It's not about freedom of speech, it's about a dumb ass that got busted violating his parole.
    If I might add, a dumbass who violated his parole and made a public specticle of himself in doing it. Might as well have worn a big neon sign saying, "come take me away!".

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •