Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 203

Thread: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

  1. #121
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    You don't get to decide what is the US's concern, thank goodness.

    The freedom of speech does not absolve people of the obligation to act responsibly. Just because you are free to do something doesn't mean you should. The government is more than empowered to request that people to act in certain ways if it protects Americans, overseas and at home.
    Hell, let's just beat the **** out of everyone that says something we don't like. That's basically what you're condoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Good for Dempsy.. There is no reason to put Westerners in danger or to jam Freedom of Speech down the throats of Muslims ........
    Good point.

    Freedom of speech could lead to freedom of thought. The entire Islamic system would collapse if that ever happened.

  3. #123
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    You don't get to decide what is the US's concern, thank goodness.

    The freedom of speech does not absolve people of the obligation to act responsibly. Just because you are free to do something doesn't mean you should. The government is more than empowered to request that people to act in certain ways if it protects Americans, overseas and at home.
    Would you say, then, that acting responsibly trumps the other basic "rights" in this country?

    Careful now...
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #124
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,541

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    You don't get to decide what is the US's concern, thank goodness.
    No, I actually do, because this particular thing is enshrined in the very document which creates the US government, thank you.

    The freedom of speech does not absolve people of the obligation to act responsibly. Just because you are free to do something doesn't mean you should. The government is more than empowered to request that people to act in certain ways if it protects Americans, overseas and at home.
    Perhaps you have grown comfortable with the idea of the government leaning on people over what they decide to say or create, but thankfully, I never will. No American should, of course.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #125
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,541

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Good for Dempsy.. There is no reason to put Westerners in danger or to jam Freedom of Speech down the throats of Muslims ........
    One of the silliest things I've ever read on this board. Ever. This displays such a lack of understanding of all the principles involved (not to mention what actually happened), it's truly, almost literally, breathtaking.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #126
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Hell, let's just beat the **** out of everyone that says something we don't like. That's basically what you're condoning.
    What are you talking about? Do you understand the difference between a request and violent coercion?
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  7. #127
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Would you say, then, that acting responsibly trumps the other basic "rights" in this country?

    Careful now...
    Nobody is "trumping" anyone's rights. In what way has this person's rights been infringed? You don't have a right to not be ridiculed for your life decisions or choice of expression. The government isn't threatening this man or forcibly compelling him to do anything, only asking him to think about the consequences of his actions. People here are completing blowing this out of proportion.

    The government clearly cannot prohibit the exercise of speech. But the constitution does not prohibit the government from challenging the views of others, expressing its own, or requesting that people act in certain ways for the good of others.
    Last edited by Cameron; 09-14-12 at 03:21 PM.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Nobody is "trumping" anyone's rights. In what way has this person's rights been infringed? You don't have a right to not be ridiculed for your life decisions or choice of expression. The government isn't threatening this man or forcibly compelling him to do anything, only asking him to think about the consequences of his actions. People here are completing blowing this out of proportion.

    The government clearly cannot prohibit the exercise of speech. But the constitution does not prohibit the government from challenging the views of others, expressing its own, or requesting that people act in certain ways for the good of others.
    Having one of the top generals in the US Army calling to ask you to curb your opinions certainly must have a chilling effect, and he would certainly not have made this call without encouragement from those higher up.

    I expect his taxes will be audited for the rest of his life.

  9. #129
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Having one of the top generals in the US Army calling to ask you to curb your opinions certainly must have a chilling effect, and he would certainly not have made this call without encouragement from those higher up.
    It only has a chilling effect if you assume the top general is then going to take some sort of unconstitutional action against you. Call me back when that happens. The constitution doesn't require that we coddle the paranoid.

    I expect his taxes will be audited for the rest of his life.
    Expect what you want, but it makes you nothing more than your average anti-government conspiracy nut.

    For people allegedly so concerned about protecting what makes America different from these third world countries, they don't seem to act like they think the US government is any different than some of these dictatorships to begin with.
    Last edited by Cameron; 09-14-12 at 03:47 PM.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Top US military officer calls pastor over film

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    It only has a chilling effect if you assume the top general is then going to take some sort of unconstitutional action against you. Call me back when that happens. The constitution doesn't require that we coddle the paranoid.
    One of the heads of the largest armed forces in the world calls your home and suggest you keep your opinions to yourself doesn't have a chilling effect? How often does that ever happen? Is this what top Generals are designated to do? Why get the military involved with the opinions of a private citizen?

    Expect what you want, but it makes you nothing more than your average anti-government conspiracy nut.
    You think the General took it upon himself to call this hapless Florida pastor? There is no secret conspiracy here. It is quite open. The leader of the US military is calling the home of a private citizen and advising him to be silent.

    For people allegedly so concerned about protecting what makes America different from these third world countries, they don't seem to act like they think the US government is any different than some of these dictatorships to begin with.
    The action of this General, and his superiors, is exactly what happens in third world countries.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •