Page 159 of 173 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 1725

Thread: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate Benghazi leaves 4 dead, inc. U.S. Ambassador[W:939]

  1. #1581
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    There is no war with Islam. There is no war at all, really. There are a few criminals who don't like the west, but they're really no different from the violent gangs we have in our inner cities.
    Tell that to the innocent Yemeni families being decimated by US drone attacks. Not everyone who dislikes the West are criminals, very far from it. They hate the West often, not always, because they've been given good reason to.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  2. #1582
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Tell that to the innocent Yemeni families being decimated by US drone attacks. Not everyone who dislikes the West are criminals, very far from it. They hate the West often, not always, because they've been given good reason to.
    Then again there couldn't possibly be a good reason to terrorism could there?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #1583
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Then again there couldn't possibly be a good reason to terrorism could there?
    No, there couldn't, whether terrorism from fundamentalist Moslems or state-conducted terrorism using hi-tech armaments.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  4. #1584
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    No, there couldn't, whether terrorism from fundamentalist Moslems or state-conducted terrorism using hi-tech armaments.
    Glad we've made it to the conclusion that the Islamic terrorists have no justification for their actions, even if we make the ridiculous assumption that the US drone attacks were targeting civilians.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #1585
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    even if we make the ridiculous assumption that the US drone attacks were targeting civilians.
    It's not about who they target, but about who they kill.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  6. #1586
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That was a function of available weaponry, not intent.
    You are very wrong on that score be bombed Dresden Munich and Tokyo civilian populations were bombed deliberately. In fact the bombing of Tokyo was much more devestaing than the bombing of Hiroshima or Nagisaki, with almost double the total casualties of either. The strategic bombing campaigns of WW2 deliberately sought to bomb civilian populations in order to demorilize and break the will of the people supporting the German and Japanese war machines.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #1587
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    It's not about who they target, but about who they kill.
    Terrorism does not describe an action itself but an intention followed by that action.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  8. #1588
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I disagree. It was total war because we chose to fight it as total war. We have chosen to fight limited wars ever since then.
    Well, you have the right to your opinion. Perhaps if you understood the facts, you'd have a different opinion.

    I do agree that we are much better at fighting the limited wars we engage in. I cannot tell if we have the fortitude to wage a total war.
    If we felt a threat on par with Nazi domination of the world, we would, I gaurantee it.

  9. #1589
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    You are very wrong on that score be bombed Dresden Munich and Tokyo civilian populations were bombed deliberately.
    You misunderstand. The intent was to destroy the ability to make war, not to decimate the civilian population. Had we had the weaponry we have now, we wouldn't have needed to take such drastic actions.

    In fact the bombing of Tokyo was much more devestaing than the bombing of Hiroshima or Nagisaki, with almost double the total casualties of either. The strategic bombing campaigns of WW2 deliberately sought to bomb civilian populations in order to demorilize and break the will of the people supporting the German and Japanese war machines.
    Incorrect. The intent was to destroy the industrial capability of the enemy.

  10. #1590
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Libya: Assault on U.S. consulate in Benghazi leaves 4 dead, including U.S. Ambass

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    It's not about who they target, but about who they kill.
    Yemen has always been in turmoil.. Its just worse over the past decade. Every crackpot terrorist faction has representation in Yemen. The AQ remnant is in the south.. They have been joined by Al Shaabab from Somalia.. There are also Communists, Royalists, Warlords and Al Houthis. Their oil business has been sabotaged. 500 factorie have closed. The people are starving and the place is awash in guns. Lawlessness rules outside of Sana'a.

    They are driving the Saudis nuts trying to cross the border into Asir with weapons and bomb makers. Saudi has invested billions in Yemen in small industry (jobs) education, food aid and gasoline to no avail.

    Sometimes, I wonder..if a country can just go to pieces and chaos rules, is that a strategy for getting foreign aid from the US and others. My cynicism tells me that they don't want peace and prosperity or progress as much as we want it for them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •