Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 685

Thread: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

  1. #651
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,774

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    You guys are STILL bickering about payscales when that issue has been settled for several days between Chicago and the CTU?

    You do know why the teachers voted to extend the strike, right? Hint: It had very little to do with salaries.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  2. #652
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    The stike's all but settled now. The union wants to read the agreement and ratify it. Rham got his head handed to him.
    Rahm got his head handed to him????? Seems despite several proving the stas on the avg income of CPS teachers and the facts that CPS teachers make more than any other Illinois teachers with the same credentials leaves your assessment lacking. Also lets not forget that so called Important fact about how CPS Teachers used the Kids for their own Purposes.

    Lets take a look see.....

    If the strike is not called off, however, Cook County Circuit Judge Peter Flynn will listen to the merits of granting the school district an injunction against the union.
    "We can go to Plan B and be heard on what we think are strong legal grounds to enjoin the strike and at least get kids back in school on Thursday morning, we hope," said Stephen Patton, the mayor's top city attorney.
    On Monday, school district attorneys filed hundreds of pages of court papers contending that the union's 26,000 members had no legal basis to declare the strike in the first place.

    In its complaint, the district noted that Lewis made public statements stressing that union members were concerned about teacher evaluations, recall policies for laid-off educators and the potential closings of scores of schools, all of which CPS said could not be used as the legal basis for a strike.

    "While new Illinois law prohibits us from striking over the recall of laid-off teachers and compensation for a longer school year, we do not intend to sign an agreement until these matters are addressed," it quotes Lewis as saying the day before the strike started at midnight Sept. 10.

    The school district attorneys also made a second argument, asserting that the strike is "a clear and present danger to public health and safety." The district noted that 84 percent of CPS students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals served at the schools, that no student has been shot in a school since 2007 and that special education services are provided to 50,000 students who "may suffer from loss of or decline in critical life skills."

    Several labor law experts said Monday that the city has a strong case when it says the primary issues cited by the union do not allow it to strike.

    "This is a strike over noneconomic issues" said L. Steven Platt, a prominent city labor lawyer, noting that only economic issues are legal cause for a strike under state law. "Of course they insist there are other issues, but the main issues, the ones that are driving the strike, are noneconomic issues."

    Zev Eigen, an associate professor at Northwestern University Law School who specializes in labor law, said he believed the city could prevail on a legal basis but questioned whether the suit would further heighten already frayed nerves on both sides of the dispute. He called the union's response "disheartening" but "predictable
    ."......snip~

    City goes back to court Wednesday, after union vote on whether to end strike - chicagotribune.com
    Chicago Tribune - 38 minutes ago <<<<< More Here, Way More!


    Seems many are saying that Rahm Emanuel is looking out for the kids Best Interests......

    The district noted that 84 percent of CPS students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals served at the schools, that no student has been shot in a school since 2007 and that special education services are provided to 50,000 students who "may suffer from loss of or decline in critical life skills.".....snip~


    Guess you are entitled to your own Interpretation of the facts. But one thing is certainly clear throughout this thread. You have definately shown how much those kids come first thru your interpretation!!!!!

  3. #653
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You guys are STILL bickering about payscales when that issue has been settled for several days between Chicago and the CTU?

    You do know why the teachers voted to extend the strike, right? Hint: It had very little to do with salaries.
    You are correct.

    In the USA however, the only pretext a Union can cite to trigger a stike is a dispute over pay or renumeration

    The Teachers in Chicago are actually fighting for better teacher/student ratios in class and additional asssitance for students - such as social workers and special aids.

    These grounds cannot be used legally by the Union or teachers to mount strike action

    Welcome to the USA - the land of Corporatised fascist slave based tyranny

  4. #654
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Looks Like Rahm was thinking ahead of the game.....

    A Clear and Present Danger to Public Health and Safety......my, my, my, even with implication that he will take it to the Supreme Court if necessary and thats even after the kids go back to school. Uhm.....who's Heads did you say was on that Silver Platter?

  5. #655
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,774

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    You are correct.

    In the USA however, the only pretext a Union can cite to trigger a stike is a dispute over pay or renumeration

    The Teachers in Chicago are actually fighting for better teacher/student ratios in class and additional assitance for students - such as social workers and special aids.

    These grounds cannot be used legally by the Union or teachers to mount strike action

    Welcome to the USA - the land of Corporatised fascist slave based tyranny
    Well of course. Because it was the teachers that wrecked our economy four years ago. And Wall Street singlehandedly led the charge back to prosperity. /snark
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #656
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Well of course. Because it was the teachers that wrecked our economy four years ago. And Wall Street singlehandedly led the charge back to prosperity. /snark
    yes - those filthy greedy teachers with their multi million dollar bonuses and bail out protectionism

    They should be ashamed of themselves for ruining the USA with their demands for a better UN-corporatised and equitable edcation system

    And they also exercise their human rights of forming Unions that act on behalf of their interests - these communist traitors

    Everybody knows that ONLY corporations can form unions to control the US congress - I think they call them lobby groups and business lunches

    I am glad that you brought this serious teacher greed to everybody's attention in this thread

    well done!

  7. #657
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You guys are STILL bickering about payscales when that issue has been settled for several days between Chicago and the CTU?

    You do know why the teachers voted to extend the strike, right? Hint: It had very little to do with salaries.
    It wasn't about that. I am just making it very clear to jet57 that he can't go back to this thread pretending he was right, when he got proven wrong.

    I have given up trying to make him say he was wrong, he has too much pride doing that.

  8. #658
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,724

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Rahm got his head handed to him????? Seems despite several proving the stas on the avg income of CPS teachers and the facts that CPS teachers make more than any other Illinois teachers with the same credentials leaves your assessment lacking. Also lets not forget that so called Important fact about how CPS Teachers used the Kids for their own Purposes.

    Lets take a look see.....

    If the strike is not called off, however, Cook County Circuit Judge Peter Flynn will listen to the merits of granting the school district an injunction against the union.
    "We can go to Plan B and be heard on what we think are strong legal grounds to enjoin the strike and at least get kids back in school on Thursday morning, we hope," said Stephen Patton, the mayor's top city attorney.
    On Monday, school district attorneys filed hundreds of pages of court papers contending that the union's 26,000 members had no legal basis to declare the strike in the first place.

    In its complaint, the district noted that Lewis made public statements stressing that union members were concerned about teacher evaluations, recall policies for laid-off educators and the potential closings of scores of schools, all of which CPS said could not be used as the legal basis for a strike.

    "While new Illinois law prohibits us from striking over the recall of laid-off teachers and compensation for a longer school year, we do not intend to sign an agreement until these matters are addressed," it quotes Lewis as saying the day before the strike started at midnight Sept. 10.

    The school district attorneys also made a second argument, asserting that the strike is "a clear and present danger to public health and safety." The district noted that 84 percent of CPS students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals served at the schools, that no student has been shot in a school since 2007 and that special education services are provided to 50,000 students who "may suffer from loss of or decline in critical life skills."

    Several labor law experts said Monday that the city has a strong case when it says the primary issues cited by the union do not allow it to strike.

    "This is a strike over noneconomic issues" said L. Steven Platt, a prominent city labor lawyer, noting that only economic issues are legal cause for a strike under state law. "Of course they insist there are other issues, but the main issues, the ones that are driving the strike, are noneconomic issues."

    Zev Eigen, an associate professor at Northwestern University Law School who specializes in labor law, said he believed the city could prevail on a legal basis but questioned whether the suit would further heighten already frayed nerves on both sides of the dispute. He called the union's response "disheartening" but "predictable
    ."......snip~

    City goes back to court Wednesday, after union vote on whether to end strike - chicagotribune.com
    Chicago Tribune - 38 minutes ago <<<<< More Here, Way More!


    Seems many are saying that Rahm Emanuel is looking out for the kids Best Interests......

    The district noted that 84 percent of CPS students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals served at the schools, that no student has been shot in a school since 2007 and that special education services are provided to 50,000 students who "may suffer from loss of or decline in critical life skills.".....snip~


    Guess you are entitled to your own Interpretation of the facts. But one thing is certainly clear throughout this thread. You have definately shown how much those kids come first thru your interpretation!!!!!

    Yes, Rham Emanuel got his head handed to him: he caved and gave away the store as we say. He’s been outdone by a union that meant business. The teachers voted to extent the strike by a couple of days to give a delegation of 800 members to go over the agreement and submit it for ratification. So, it’s all but over as I’ve said a couple of times in this thread.

    The injunction won’t go through because it’s a legally sanctioned strike with plenty of notice, and besides the union is going to tell the judge that the strike is over anyway. So it’s a phony muscle move done too late and is the product of someone who is afraid that he can’t hack: Rham Emanuel; Chicago tough guy mayor . .

    right

    So, I guess I am entitled to state the facts, and I have done so. The Teachers union beat Emanuel’s ass and that school board has something to think about for the next 25 years.

    Oh, and have you heard that warehousemen at two walmart warehouses have gone out on strike? Warehouse Workers Strike In Illinois On Heels Of California Walkout I keep tellin’ you guys; it’s a sign of things to come.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  9. #659
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    ...I keep tellin’ you guys; it’s a sign of things to come.
    Yep, sign of things to come...

    Some Parents Sending Kids To Charter Schools Due To Teachers’ Strike « CBS Chicago

    ...indeed. One day the dwindling unionized work forces will realize that there are alternatives to their exploitation...or not...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  10. #660
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,982

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Looks Like Rahm was thinking ahead of the game.....

    A Clear and Present Danger to Public Health and Safety......my, my, my, even with implication that he will take it to the Supreme Court if necessary and thats even after the kids go back to school. Uhm.....who's Heads did you say was on that Silver Platter?
    You do realize that these actors speaking these lines were written very long ago don't you? This is the way almost every teachers strike plays out.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •