Page 37 of 69 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 685

Thread: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

  1. #361
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,981

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    I wonder what Obama thinks about the strike.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I wonder what Obama thinks about the strike.

    Carney stated Obama stands with the Kids and the Parents. He is playing the Safety Dance.

  3. #363
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    A race to the bottom. Hope you win that race to the bottom in your job.

    btw - I workd in the public sector and I help pay for the public sector. So your snap answer broke in pieces.
    Actually you don't considering you're just giving back some of the money paid you by the public. Though I guess fairly you could make that assertion since you are providing a rebate (IF you actually pay state/federal income taxes, not everyone does).

  4. #364
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    IMO, no one, in any occupation, should be allowed to strike, ever, under any circumstance. If they walk out on their job, they should be fired. If you're unhappy with your current job, or your current pay/benefits/hours, etc., find a new job that's to your liking.

  5. #365
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    IMO, no one, in any occupation, should be allowed to strike, ever, under any circumstance. If they walk out on their job, they should be fired. If you're unhappy with your current job, or your current pay/benefits/hours, etc., find a new job.
    I have no problem with unions in the private sector. In the private sector, politics don't come into play. You have two sides negotiating at arm's length spending -- or not​ spending -- the company's money. What's unfair about that? Nothing, in my opinion.

    In the public sector, you have two sides negotiating within the political arena spending taxpayers' money. Political pressures make negotiating at arm's length impossible from the "management side."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #366
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I have no problem with unions in the private sector. In the private sector, politics don't come into play. You have two sides negotiating at arm's length spending -- or not​ spending -- the company's money. What's unfair about that? Nothing, in my opinion.

    In the public sector, you have two sides negotiating within the political arena spending taxpayers' money. Political pressures make negotiating at arm's length impossible from the "management side."
    Public sector unions should be illegal everywhere, there's no doubt about it.

    I have no problem with private sector unions, but I don't think they should be allowed to strike. No one should be allowed to skip out on work for days, weeks or months in a strike, and still be able to keep their job. There are too many people out there who would be happy to take those jobs permanently to allow that to happen.

  7. #367
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    I have a problem with unions even in the private sector. If something about the workers needs to be protected, the government (state, federal or local) should be doing it, that's their job. If workplace safety is needed, it should be legislated. Unions add another layer of corruption and graft to the system.

  8. #368
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    But how and why do you attribute that to teachers?
    Well, you're the one who posted the link that teachers have a verifiable effect on student achievement.
    Maybe you should of just gone with what I said.

    You do know that these teachers are paid to teach these things.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #369
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I have no problem with unions in the private sector. In the private sector, politics don't come into play. You have two sides negotiating at arm's length spending -- or not​ spending -- the company's money. What's unfair about that? Nothing, in my opinion.

    In the public sector, you have two sides negotiating within the political arena spending taxpayers' money. Political pressures make negotiating at arm's length impossible from the "management side."
    This is dead on.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  10. #370
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Public sector unions should be illegal everywhere, there's no doubt about it.

    I have no problem with private sector unions, but I don't think they should be allowed to strike. No one should be allowed to skip out on work for days, weeks or months in a strike, and still be able to keep their job. There are too many people out there who would be happy to take those jobs permanently to allow that to happen.
    I think private sector unions go on strike, truly, only as a last resort -- because it's costing them money out of their pockets. A teachers' strike as an example? Costs teachers nothing. They're going to have to make up all those days and, of course, they'll be paid for them.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 37 of 69 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •