Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 685

Thread: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,857

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    How bout the ones in Chi town?
    What about it?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #172
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Schutzengel View Post
    Honestly, what good is music and art appreceation when the students CAN NOT READ AT ALL???

    NO ONE should be allowed out of the third grade without the ability to read, and no one should be allowed out of 8th grade without a comprehension level of at least that high. ... PERIOD... reading is a fundamental part of learning...

    elementary and secondary schools are teaching kinds WHAT to think, not HOW to think.
    I agree, not being able to read curtails one's ability to learn anything else in life. However, just because 20% of the students in school can't read, is no reason to strip away the learning opportunities of the other 80%.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #173
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What about it?
    Would you call THAT school district successful? You know...the one we're all debating about?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #174
    Educator Schutzengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    04-20-13 @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    719

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Why does that tell you that classroom teachers are failing and NOT the inherent structure of the system that allows students to fail as a matter of the simple price we pay for the system being the way it is?
    It doesnt matter Chicago is spending $21,024 per student per year to educate them. If you give parents a voucher for $15,000 per student, you can find a GOOD private school... and it would leave the remaining $6024.00 in the pot to help other students who stay.
    History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid. - Ike

    Tea is better for you than Kool-Aid.

  5. #175
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,857

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Schutzengel View Post
    It doesnt matter Chicago is spending $21,024 per student per year to educate them. If you give parents a voucher for $15,000 per student, you can find a GOOD private school... and it would leave the remaining $6024.00 in the pot to help other students who stay.
    Interesting theory. Do you have anything to back it up?

    Could you provide the stats on those expenses please?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #176
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Nobody is disputing that the system needs change. I spent countless hours working to change the system from the inside and came up against a solid administrative wall of HELL NO. So what system do you want and why don't we do it?
    I want a system in which teachers are a LOT more autonomous. I want teachers to be free to teach.


    How can a teacher, someone who's job it is to inspire their students to think about a particular subject, be happy about their job, when any inspiration THEY have about is, more or less, strictly forbidden? All think all this stink about pay is actually more about job satisfaction, which is lacking, because, frankly, how COULD anyone, working in such an environment, be happy about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,857

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Would you call THAT school district successful? You know...the one we're all debating about?
    Many students are indeed successful. Some are not. That is the way the system is set up to be.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #178
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,857

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I want a system in which teachers are a LOT more autonomous. I want teachers to be free to teach.


    How can a teacher, someone who's job it is to inspire their students to think about a particular subject, be happy about their job, when any inspiration THEY have about is, more or less, strictly forbidden? All think all this stink about pay is actually more about job satisfaction, which is lacking, because, frankly, how COULD anyone, working in such an environment, be happy about it?
    Everything in education over the last decade has been to do the opposite of what you want to do.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #179
    Educator Schutzengel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    04-20-13 @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    719

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I agree, not being able to read curtails one's ability to learn anything else in life. However, just because 20% of the students in school can't read, is no reason to strip away the learning opportunities of the other 80%.
    See above, at $21,024 per student ther is no reason for them to not have EVERY educational opportunity in the world given to them.

    An in state college tuition averages just $423.00 more than that ... you cannot tell me that it is a lack of funding.
    History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid. - Ike

    Tea is better for you than Kool-Aid.

  10. #180
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Many students are indeed successful. Some are not. That is the way the system is set up to be.
    Define "some". As it pertains to the chicago schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •