Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 685

Thread: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

  1. #141
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I would be happy to look at your evidence for this claim. Please do provide it.
    Can you fire a bad teacher?
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  2. #142
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Is that after the counting of the Custodian's Union and the Food Service Workers Union?
    Huh? Did you missquote?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #143
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The American system of public education for most is an assembly line system that ignores actual learning and achievement in favor of the cheapest and most cost effective way to educate tens of millions of students at a time.

    Until we speak to that reality and take significant steps to change that system, you can change all the schools you want to change and move teachers around like you are playing musical chairs but until you face the reality that the factory assembly line system does not work for many - these are the results you will get because you accept them as part of the system.
    Then we have to stop doing the same thing over and over and over and over again and expecting different results, yes? BUT. CTU and others like it will fight to the death to preserve...what? The status quo. They fight for more art classes....more music. All tokens -- because what they're really fighting for is more money, more job security, less healthcare costs, more CPS pension contributions, and no accountability. In the meantime, the students can't even read.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #144
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Then we have to stop doing the same thing over and over and over and over again and expecting different results, yes? BUT. CTU and others like it will fight to the death to preserve...what? The status quo. They fight for more art classes....more music. All tokens -- because what they're really fighting for is more money, more job security, less healthcare costs, more CPS pension contributions, and no accountability. In the meantime, the students can't even read.
    I believe that things like art history, visual arts, music, and music history are important parts of a person's education.

    I think our problem is, we don't let teachers teach. If I were teach, say, World History, I would include art history, and musical history, in one big package. Look at the History Channel. Do they focus only one one aspect? Almost never. Why? Because then it would be boring, and no one would watch it. But it's not boring, and people DO watch it, unlike 8th grade history, which bored me to death, and left me with a VERY fractured and incomplete picture. And I got all A's.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  5. #145
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What evidence do you have that the teachers are failing?
    I think it's pretty easy, we keep pouring more and more money into our classroom with less and less results. The teachers unions protect teachers, not the students. The teachers unions could care less about the students. You can't fire a bad teacher, now tell me they care about the students. Teachers unions only have thing in mind, exchange their vote for higher wages, benefits, and shorter hours..
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  6. #146
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Maybe someone better at math than I can figure this one out...


    About how much does it cost, PER student, to have public schools?

    Why not, instead, have a public education FUND, pool that money, at the very least...and let PARENTS hire private tutors.


    Likely, the kids get a better education, costs the parents LESS, AND the private tutors likely get paid more if they are any good...and....as a bonus, it puts LOTS of people to work...to the tune of a tutor per every household.


    Over simplified, but I think this gets the point across about public school as it currently stands, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #147
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I believe that things like art history, visual arts, music, and music history are important parts of a person's education.
    I believe that teaching kids to read is more important.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Four philanthropists are ponying up $5 million total to bankroll merit pay for Chicago Public School principals as part of a program that will be unique in the nation and eventually expand to teacher merit pay, Mayor Rahm Emanuel revealed Monday. <<<<<Oct 2011

    However, Emanuel said his principal merit pay program will be unique in that it will include training principals to a set of expectations outlined in a new “principal performance contract’’ that is still being drafted.

    His program will be a comprehensive, integrated approach — “the first of its kind anywhere in the country” — that doesn’t just rely on “‘You’ll get a bonus.’ It relies on objective standards, measured, re-training and training, and the performance is tied to exceeding those objective goals,’’ Emanuel said. A new Chicago Leadership Collaborative will oversee the project.

    Thus far, four wealthy Chicago families — all of them major contributors to Emanuel and prime education-reform movers —.....snip~

    Rahm-Emanuel:-$5-million-for-Chicago-school-principals


    Being Good For the Administration.....but not good for teachers. How do teachers get around that? Course I would be concerned about some NEW Collaborative as Emanuel puts it. Have to watch out for his Socialistic Ideas from the Collective.

    Another reason to get City Politics out of Education IMO!

  9. #149
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Four philanthropists are ponying up $5 million total to bankroll merit pay for Chicago Public School principals as part of a program that will be unique in the nation and eventually expand to teacher merit pay, Mayor Rahm Emanuel revealed Monday. <<<<<Oct 2011

    However, Emanuel said his principal merit pay program will be unique in that it will include training principals to a set of expectations outlined in a new “principal performance contract’’ that is still being drafted.

    His program will be a comprehensive, integrated approach — “the first of its kind anywhere in the country” — that doesn’t just rely on “‘You’ll get a bonus.’ It relies on objective standards, measured, re-training and training, and the performance is tied to exceeding those objective goals,’’ Emanuel said. A new Chicago Leadership Collaborative will oversee the project.

    Thus far, four wealthy Chicago families — all of them major contributors to Emanuel and prime education-reform movers —.....snip~

    Rahm-Emanuel:-$5-million-for-Chicago-school-principals


    Being Good For the Administration.....but not good for teachers. How do teachers get around that? Course I would be concerned about some NEW Collaborative as Emanuel puts it. Have to watch out for his Socialistic Ideas from the Collective.

    Another reason to get City Politics out of Education IMO!
    The union will NOT let that happen.

    Edit: Wait! I wonder if principals are members of the union? Perhaps this is a way to incentivize them to jump through the horrendous hoops required to dismiss an incompetent teacher...to allow in-school improvisation. If they aren't union members, this could be a wonderful thing. If they are? I'm back to, "It'll never happen."
    Last edited by MaggieD; 09-10-12 at 09:51 PM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,622

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Can you fire a bad teacher?
    As a person who sat on the table during these proceedings - the answer is a definitive and loud YES.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •