Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 685

Thread: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

  1. #91
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,753

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Teachers have everything to gain and absolutely nothing to lose (except public opinion) when they strike. The school year is lengthened...they lose not a dime. That's one of the myriad problems I have with teacher strikes.
    Teachers are not paid when they're on the line. So they lose everything for every day they're out there.

    I don't like teacher's strikes either. In fact I hate them. Unions don't strike however becasue they think it's a good idea at the time.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    salary and packages are two different numbers that include different areas of compensation. The teachers take home an average of $54,000 a year; not $75,000, that the entire point. So a hair plus or minus in any direction doesn't matter.
    Well Independant sources said 69k. Plus it does not change the facts about the Shortest hours in the Nation, that CPS is against Merit pay. Plus now cites faulty stats on how much of their workforce they will lose over the evaluation process. Also what about the bonus' at the end of the year?

    Which even Emanuel has said would not go into affect until they saw what came from this next year. Wherein Teachers would be able to put in their own imput into their own evaluation. Then wherein there is a common ground that can be defined. Yet CPS doesnt even want to consider this.

  3. #93
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Teachers are not paid when they're on the line. So they lose everything for every day they're out there.

    I don't like teacher's strikes either. In fact I hate them. Unions don't strike however becasue they think it's a good idea at the time.
    Helloooooo...teachers have to make up those days at the end of...or during...the school year. They'll get paid for those make-up days when they make them up.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #94
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,753

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Helloooooo...teachers have to make up those days at the end of...or during...the school year. They'll get paid for those make-up days when they make them up.
    Oh honey, I know thaaaat. But the point is; while they're out on the line, they're on their own. If anything, admin is going to make more because they get paid now and over the course of the extention too.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  5. #95
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Teachers are not paid when they're on the line. So they lose everything for every day they're out there.

    I don't like teacher's strikes either. In fact I hate them. Unions don't strike however becasue they think it's a good idea at the time.
    They will not lose a dime because when the strike is over, the school year will start and consist of the same number of school days as it would have if there were no strike at all.

  6. #96
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,753

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    They will not lose a dime because when the strike is over, the school year will start and consist of the same number of school days as it would have if there were no strike at all.
    You're not readng my posts.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And that is exactly the kind of travesty the unions should be addressing . . . if it's really about the children. And we both know it's not. They are merely the pawns used as a means to an end.
    When I was very active in the union and the Chair of all the high school representing nearly 2,000 members - we constantly pushed for such action only to be told we must limit ourselves to wages, benefits, hours and working conditions for teachers. Everything else was the province of the administration and we were simply told which field we must pick the cotton in.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And there is the rub. A teacher can only work with the students they are given. In my high school where I taught, we gave all incoming ninth graders a math test to see where they were according to grade level skills so they could take mandated Algebra I. In an average class of 35 kids, the scores ranged all the way from second grade to tenth grade. The distribution was far from even with the average being around fifth grade. The vast vast vast majority of the 35 were not anywhere near grade level in basic arithmetic skills needed to handle Algebra.

    But now the administration says - teach them Algebra... here is your classroom .... here are your books ... here is your paycheck for doing this job.

    What is missing from the recipe?
    What's missing is the ability of the parents to cancel their contract with that crappy school and shop for a school that can do a better job of educating their kid.

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    What's missing is the ability of the parents to cancel their contract with that crappy school and shop for a school that can do a better job of educating their kid.
    Same kid.
    Same years behind.
    Same lack of skills.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Chicago Teachers Strike 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Same kid.
    Same years behind.
    Same lack of skills.
    What's your point?

Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •