Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

  1. #61
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Again, I explained to you why unemployment is currently the best indicator of participation, but isn't necessarily always going to be. I gave arguments and explanations. If you think they are wrong, explain why.
    Because your argument is exactly the reason as to why we servo on unemployment and not growth. Growth is not a pure indicator of economic health, you can have growth and high unemployment, little to no economic mobility, huge wealth disparities, etc. You have to, you must, servo on unemployment. It is the very reason why the Federal Reserve's mandate is to balance inflation and unemployment, not inflation and growth.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #62
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Because your argument is exactly the reason as to why we servo on unemployment and not growth. Growth is not a pure indicator of economic health, you can have growth and high unemployment, little to no economic mobility, huge wealth disparities, etc. You have to, you must, servo on unemployment. It is the very reason why the Federal Reserve's mandate is to balance inflation and unemployment, not inflation and growth.
    Right... Nothing you're saying is contradicting my position, so maybe we're just miscommunicating.

    I am saying that right now unemployment is a good indicator of participation. Right now, whether or not a person has a job is a good measure of whether or not they're able to take part in the economy in a meaningful way, it is currently a good indication of how much of our potential productivity we're using, wages are still the primary way people draw money from the economy, etc.

    But, that isn't necessarily always going to be the case. For example, you could have a country where you had 100% employment, but everybody was only getting paid food scraps. For example, under feudalism we had nearly 0% unemployment, but that didn't indicate a high level of participation in the economy. Or, on the other end, you could imagine a society in which employment no longer was central to people's economic activities. For example, maybe some day robots and nanomachines will do pretty much everything we think of as work today and the role of people will be fundamentally different, and then unemployment would be a very poor indicator of the economic health of the country.

    See what I'm saying?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Well be that as it may, in the here and now unemployment is valid indicator and it's not very good. Middle class population is another big indicator, and that too is not doing well. In all measurable aspects, it's not a very good scenario.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #64
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well be that as it may, in the here and now unemployment is valid indicator and it's not very good. Middle class population is another big indicator, and that too is not doing well. In all measurable aspects, it's not a very good scenario.
    Definitely not. We're clawing our way out of the biggest recession since the great depression. We're doing better than most of the first world and we're moving the right direction, but certainly nobody is psyched to have a recession this devastating.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  5. #65
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    And the NASDAQ is holding steady today.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #66
    Guru
    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,182

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    And the NASDAQ is holding steady today.
    Gold and silver are having a banner day.

  7. #67
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    84

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    It just proves that corporations know how to make money for their investors even during bad economies. It also proves that most corporate interests don't necessarily involve the hiring of new people. New industry, that is driven from inside this country, is what's needed to bring the economy back.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,277

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    And the NASDAQ is holding steady today.
    The NASDAQ is higher mainly due to Apple and Google and the FED.

  9. #69
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    The NASDAQ is higher mainly due to Apple and Google and the FED.
    The NASDAQ is up 70% from when Obama took office. It has now repaired ALL the damage done during the Bush administration. I don't think Apple, Google and the fed explains that...
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •