Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 69

Thread: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

  1. #21
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    There is the Specklebang economic theory that record profits can be generated by understaffing and underpaying workers. It's only a theory of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    More stock trades are driven by government activity than actual economic activity IMO.

    If companies are making profit then that means there IS economic activity which by any economic standard is indeed a good thing and should for all intents and purposes improve other aspects of the economy.

    What economic theory holds that companies making profit does not mean an improving economy?

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    the stock market is a piss-poor, nearly meaningless method of gauging the strength of the real economy, but i guess most of you guys already knew that.
    I agree with ballin, this is like a bad dream.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    More stock trades are driven by government activity than actual economic activity IMO.

    If companies are making profit then that means there IS economic activity which by any economic standard is indeed a good thing and should for all intents and purposes improve other aspects of the economy.

    What economic theory holds that companies making profit does not improve the economy?
    None of the mainstream ones that for sure, and I'm not saying companies making profits is a bad thing or is not helping the economy. My point is that's not all there is to a recovery, the economy is already out of recession and is growing but unemployment is dropping much slower than the economy is growing. I'm just saying there's more to it than just companies making profits and stock markets climbing, its a common conservative argument that business drives the economy, which is certainly true, and that all we need to do is let business grow with less shackles(fewer restrictions, lower taxes) but there's more to it than that.

  4. #24
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    I paid $2.50 for a cup of coffee at IHOP last Sunday.

    When I was a teenager, in New York City, a cup of coffee was 5.

    I didn't say a cup of coffee would be $500 or $5000 dollars.

    Tell me true. Are you paying more for groceries since the printing presses fired up at QE1? Most people claim that has happened. I never go shopping so I don't know. I know the USG claims that there is NO inflation. Do you agree with that claim?

    (We're discussing economic policy, not politics)





    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    I heard phrases and predictions of the sort thrown about seemingly a few years ago.

  5. #25
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    So now you are saying what happened in Europe today is why the market is up, good boy.
    I never said anything about why the market moved today. The analysts are saying it is two things- Europe and good jobs news. But that isn't really relevant. This is just the last step in a 3 long year march. The NASDAQ has more the DOUBLED in value since the bottom just six weeks after Obama took office.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #26
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I paid $2.50 for a cup of coffee at IHOP last Sunday.

    When I was a teenager, in New York City, a cup of coffee was 5.

    I didn't say a cup of coffee would be $500 or $5000 dollars.

    Tell me true. Are you paying more for groceries since the printing presses fired up at QE1? Most people claim that has happened. I never go shopping so I don't know. I know the USG claims that there is NO inflation. Do you agree with that claim?

    (We're discussing economic policy, not politics)
    Just FYI, inflation has actually been unusually low since Obama took office. In fact, we actually had deflation one of the years he was in office.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  7. #27
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Thank goodness for Obama then. No inflation! That's wonderful news.

    I should retract my concerns about low wages then. Without inflation there is no reason to pay anyone more money then they are getting now.

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Just FYI, inflation has actually been unusually low since Obama took office. In fact, we actually had deflation one of the years he was in office.

  8. #28
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    There are two ways somebody can react to this economic news. One can say that the president has no impact on the economy. That's fine if you want to go that way, but then you are rejecting pretty much the entire message of the GOP and Romney. You are leaving them with no real reason to vote for Romney at all.

    Alternately, you can say that the president actually does have some impact on the economy. Not necessarily the dominant impact, but some. If you say that, then the fact that under Obama the stock market has surged, surged so much that it has actually repaired the damage done during the last Republican administration in just three years, is certainly a huge plus for Obama.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  9. #29
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    There is the Specklebang economic theory that record profits can be generated by understaffing and underpaying workers. It's only a theory of course.
    For some reason, I get a feeling that won't be as effective as it sounds. Not that I'd put it past a business.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  10. #30
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: NASDAQ closes at highest level since 2000

    It's all harmony here.

    Teamosil straightened me out on that inflation thingy and has ameliorated any concerns I had about poorly paid workers who haven't had raises in years bearing the weight of these profits.


    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    For some reason, I get a feeling that won't be as effective as it sounds. Not that I'd put it past a business.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •