Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    In April, Tom Ross, the president of the University of North Carolina system, sent a letter to the university's board of governors announcing that students should brace for a hike in the cost of university-provided insurance plans. Ross explained that at least 64,000 North Carolina college students - roughly a third of those enrolled in the state's 17 public universities - should expect to see "substantial" increases in health coverage costs for the 2012-2013 academic year.

    "Based on more than three semesters of actual claims experience, as well as the new provisions of the Affordable Care Act, we are facing large increases in premiums for our students," Ross wrote in the letter.

    Students who purchase insurance plans from North Carolina public universities this fall will be shelling out $709 per semester. That's up significantly from a cost of $460 per semester last year.

    Rising premiums are not limited to public universities. Students at Guilford College, a private liberal arts college in Greensboro, were informed in July that the cost of their school-provided health insurance plan was set to rise from $668 per semester in 2011 to $1,179 per semester this fall.

    "Our student health insurance policy premium has been substantially increased due to changes required by federal regulations issued on March 16, 2012 under the Affordable Care Act," reads the letter, which was distributed Greg Bursavich, the school's Vice President for Finance.

    The main reason for the price hike, Bursavich wrote, is a requirement that health plans provide a minimum policy benefit of $100,000 instead of the $50,000 minimum previously offered by the Guilford-provided plan.
    In North Carolina, student insurance costs rise under Obamacare – CNN Political Ticker

    hey, at least birth control pills are free

  2. #2
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    Tell us it ain't so.

    It is the old saying , "you get what you pay for". How someone can think more services, prescription drugs, etc and not have an affect on costs, is not being realistic.

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    Re: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    My health insurance costs went up, but less than they had been going up for the last, I don't know, decade.

    My anecdote cancels out this anecdote.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    For our tax and spend friends, this is just one more reason why we need higher taxes. We have poor, disadvantaged students that can't afford basic (i.e. Obamacare) healthcare and therefore need to act responsibly by robbing Peter to pay Paul.

    Unfortunately, this is way too easy to demagogue:
    "Obama doubled the level of protection that students with critical health issues receive from greedy insurance companies. Republicans want to take that money away. There are students laying in hospital beds right now courageously fighting things like breast cancer and HIV... Mitt Romney wants to pull the plug. He wants say to our sons and daughters, "sorry, we've helped you enough, don't you think?" That's not the America I know. The America I know reaches out to help those in need. Americans put people before profits. We have a choice this November. We can vote for the guy who wants to protect insurance companies, or we can support the guy who wants to protect our children. For Americans, the choice is an easy one."

  5. #5
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    Re: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    For our tax and spend friends, this is just one more reason why we need higher taxes. We have poor, disadvantaged students that can't afford basic (i.e. Obamacare) healthcare and therefore need to act responsibly by robbing Peter to pay Paul.

    Unfortunately, this is way too easy to demagogue:
    "Obama doubled the level of protection that students with critical health issues receive from greedy insurance companies. Republicans want to take that money away. There are students laying in hospital beds right now courageously fighting things like breast cancer and HIV... Mitt Romney wants to pull the plug. He wants say to our sons and daughters, "sorry, we've helped you enough, don't you think?" That's not the America I know. The America I know reaches out to help those in need. Americans put people before profits. We have a choice this November. We can vote for the guy who wants to protect insurance companies, or we can support the guy who wants to protect our children. For Americans, the choice is an easy one."
    Is there some kind of point you're trying to make?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Is there some kind of point you're trying to make?
    Yes. Interestingly, the fact that you can't see it actually helps prove the point.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    Insurance costs rise all the time.

    Taxing isn't necessary to fund programs like universal healthcare.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #8
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    Re: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Yes. Interestingly, the fact that you can't see it actually helps prove the point.
    Actually I'm just trying to get you to actually articulate a point so that you can't flee from it later.

    Interesting that you aren't willing to do that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #9
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    For our tax and spend friends, this is just one more reason why we need higher taxes. We have poor, disadvantaged students that can't afford basic (i.e. Obamacare) healthcare and therefore need to act responsibly by robbing Peter to pay Paul.

    Unfortunately, this is way too easy to demagogue:
    "Obama doubled the level of protection that students with critical health issues receive from greedy insurance companies. Republicans want to take that money away. There are students laying in hospital beds right now courageously fighting things like breast cancer and HIV... Mitt Romney wants to pull the plug. He wants say to our sons and daughters, "sorry, we've helped you enough, don't you think?" That's not the America I know. The America I know reaches out to help those in need. Americans put people before profits. We have a choice this November. We can vote for the guy who wants to protect insurance companies, or we can support the guy who wants to protect our children. For Americans, the choice is an easy one."
    I disagree on your comparison.
    Can I ask a question on how did my generation (I am in my 60's) make it this far without Obamacare? There was a time when we had no health care coverage, yet here we are. Now, when it comes to "protect our children", seems that is the role of a parents. A person 25 to 26 years old is adult. Yes, I know they are someones child. But so am I.


    I am not against health care for citizens. What I do think is we need to rething the whole "entitlement" programs in the US.
    If you want to bring up of lets increase taxes on the rich. ok. I say lets look at are whole tax structure. There is over 40% who pay no federal income tax now.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: In NC, Student Insurance Costs Rise Under Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I am not against health care for citizens. What I do think is we need to rething the whole "entitlement" programs in the US.
    If you want to bring up of lets increase taxes on the rich. ok. I say lets look at are whole tax structure. There is over 40% who pay no federal income tax now.
    Oh, I'm totally with you. I'm just saying that once this stuff is put into place, it's very hard to reverse because politicians can use the "they want to take away your XXX" line. It's the entitlement culture.

    Here's a good example of the entitlement mindset...
    Standing in line at H&R Block, my brother overheard one of their employees informing a woman that she was going to receive over $1,000 from the IRS due to the Earned Income Credit. "What? Please don't play me like that!" She was floored. For all of 30 seconds. After 60 seconds had passed, she had stopped asking for her money and was now demanding, almost screaming "Where's my money?! Give me my money!"

    Probably walked in there scared she might owe $50 and left pissed off because she was going to have to wait a few weeks for a 4-figure handout.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •