Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Raising the minimum wage so drastically won't create jobs. It will kill them. Employers would immediately begin lay-offs and raise prices, nullifying the effects of the pay increase.
    I disagree. What proof do you have that this would happen?

    I have read that your asseration is not correct according to the statistics of the last minimum oay increase.

  2. #72
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    I disagree. What proof do you have that this would happen?

    I have read that your asseration is not correct according to the statistics of the last minimum oay increase.
    The last increase was not as drastic as more than doubling the existing wage.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    House GOP: "We Build That!"

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    House GOP: "We Build That!"
    The democrats will say we are trying to help people because of the recession started by bush. The Republicans will say that Obama is a bad president because so many people are on food stamps.

    Partisan politics. Take your pick.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    10-03-12 @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    405

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Very nice. So care to comment on how defense is less than a quarter of spending and entitlement programs are 65%? The military isnt going to bankrupt us, everything else is.
    Do you make up percentages up in your head or your rear-end?

  6. #76
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,738

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Running View Post
    Do you make up percentages up in your head or your rear-end?
    No, I use data. It may be a foreign concept to some, but I try to know what Im talking about.

    2010 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fy2010_spending_by_category.jpg

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,797
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Moderator's Warning:
    Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]Let's stop with the baiting, trolling and general all around tarding up threads shall we? Civility here or else.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  8. #78
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I already explained why I asked my question. It was not an attack against you, it was an attempt to understand why you were posting ideas that contradict with basic tenants of economics. I'm sorry if it seemed like an attack, but it sure as hell wasn't.

    Ultimately, the question stemmed from the fact that your posts blatantly and completely ignored the fact that artificially high minimum wages inevitably and consistently lead to inflation which essentially nullifies the increase in pay. The fact that your posts state, "They'll just have to take less profit" also screams of a basic lack of understanding on how businesses function. The posts were an over simplification of a complicated issue, and they completely disregarded economic fact.

    So now you know. What did you "lots of books" have to say about those issues? Anything?
    What courses did you take.........

    Answer your own question.

  9. #79
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm not saying it's artificially high right now, I'm saying that making it artificially high would result in inflation.

    But on that subject, there is the idea that there is inherent worth in specific jobs, skills, or positions. You wouldn't, for example, pay your techs and the guy managing them the same wage, right? You wouldn't pay the CFO and the receptionist the same wage, right? It would be highly impractical to pay a part-time fry cook $20 an hour, right? Because the inherent value of that skill or position is not very high. It doesn't take any education or high level training and is a position with a significant availability of labor.
    But the value is there. WS profits prove that.

    Chinaman for $1 hr makes Apple $91 BILLION in cash and about $450,000 per employee every year.

    What YOU "value" the employee is not relivant per your SOCIAL values.

    What value is PRODUCED is what matters. And a lving wage matters too. that is the bottom. If it is not living wage, then the job should not exist.

    And at every real shop I have worked, the managers are only paid about 5% more than the senior employees, about 20% more than Apprentices.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    10-03-12 @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    405

    Re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    No, I use data. It may be a foreign concept to some, but I try to know what Im talking about.

    2010 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fy2010_spending_by_category.jpg
    Medicaid and Social Security need to be fixed, ok. But some stuff like unemployment benefits is actually ok. And some stuff like a 700billion military complex that is just standing around doing nothing but draining is not ok.

    Some of you people forget that a society is here to help each other out. That even includes the unemployed, so life hasn't been good on some and if they need it to help make their live easier. Its a lot better than to give billions to defense contractors or stupid young people wanting to "become heroes".

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •