Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81

Thread: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

  1. #61
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,727

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    I was not talking with you......
    This is a political board you were talking with anyone that reads your posts. I read it, you were talking with me, whether you knew it or not.

  2. #62
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    Well I reported YOU for your personal attack of "have you taken an economics course" attack.

    Its the same thing.

    So since YOU base a persons knowledge as only coming from kissing the behind of a professor, what have YOU taken.........

    (I have read lots of books.......and have 2 degrees that I burned)
    I already explained why I asked my question. It was not an attack against you, it was an attempt to understand why you were posting ideas that contradict with basic tenants of economics. I'm sorry if it seemed like an attack, but it sure as hell wasn't.

    Ultimately, the question stemmed from the fact that your posts blatantly and completely ignored the fact that artificially high minimum wages inevitably and consistently lead to inflation which essentially nullifies the increase in pay. The fact that your posts state, "They'll just have to take less profit" also screams of a basic lack of understanding on how businesses function. The posts were an over simplification of a complicated issue, and they completely disregarded economic fact.

    So now you know. What did you "lots of books" have to say about those issues? Anything?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I already explained why I asked my question. It was not an attack against you, it was an attempt to understand why you were posting ideas that contradict with basic tenants of economics. I'm sorry if it seemed like an attack, but it sure as hell wasn't.

    Ultimately, the question stemmed from the fact that your posts blatantly and completely ignored the fact that artificially high minimum wages inevitably and consistently lead to inflation which essentially nullifies the increase in pay. The fact that your posts state, "They'll just have to take less profit" also screams of a basic lack of understanding on how businesses function. The posts were an over simplification of a complicated issue, and they completely disregarded economic fact.

    So now you know. What did you "lots of books" have to say about those issues? Anything?
    With all due respect don't you mean "basic tenants of Reaganomics"?

  4. #64
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    With all due respect don't you mean "basic tenants of Reaganomics"?
    No, I don't.

    There's a reason increases to minimum wage are relatively slow and staggered. A massive jump in the minimum wage would likely result in a massive jump in inflation. Going from a federal rate of $7.35 or whatever to a rate of $20 at the snap of a finger would be disastrous.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #65
    Student John.NoseTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Last Seen
    10-17-12 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    287

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I already explained why I asked my question. It was not an attack against you, it was an attempt to understand why you were posting ideas that contradict with basic tenants of economics. I'm sorry if it seemed like an attack, but it sure as hell wasn't.

    Ultimately, the question stemmed from the fact that your posts blatantly and completely ignored the fact that artificially high minimum wages inevitably and consistently lead to inflation which essentially nullifies the increase in pay. The fact that your posts state, "They'll just have to take less profit" also screams of a basic lack of understanding on how businesses function. The posts were an over simplification of a complicated issue, and they completely disregarded economic fact.

    So now you know. What did you "lots of books" have to say about those issues? Anything?
    What metric are you looking at that tells you the minimum wage is artificially high? I'm not being argumentative but I've heard that argument before and I'm just curious what is being used to determine that

  6. #66
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by John.NoseTip View Post
    What metric are you looking at that tells you the minimum wage is artificially high? I'm not being argumentative but I've heard that argument before and I'm just curious what is being used to determine that
    I'm not saying it's artificially high right now, I'm saying that making it artificially high would result in inflation.

    But on that subject, there is the idea that there is inherent worth in specific jobs, skills, or positions. You wouldn't, for example, pay your techs and the guy managing them the same wage, right? You wouldn't pay the CFO and the receptionist the same wage, right? It would be highly impractical to pay a part-time fry cook $20 an hour, right? Because the inherent value of that skill or position is not very high. It doesn't take any education or high level training and is a position with a significant availability of labor.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  7. #67
    Student John.NoseTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Last Seen
    10-17-12 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    287

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm not saying it's artificially high right now, I'm saying that making it artificially high would result in inflation.

    But on that subject, there is the idea that there is inherent worth in specific jobs, skills, or positions. You wouldn't, for example, pay your techs and the guy managing them the same wage, right? You wouldn't pay the CFO and the receptionist the same wage, right? It would be highly impractical to pay a part-time fry cook $20 an hour, right? Because the inherent value of that skill or position is not very high. It doesn't take any education or high level training and is a position with a significant availability of labor.
    Well yeah. There's labor and where you live. 25k might be a decent living in Meridian MS but Boston MA not so decent. What's a fair minimum wage for the nation? I don't know that's part of the reason I was asking. There has to be some metric that indicates if it is high or low compared to historical rates. The only numbers I really look at are median household income, gdp and tax rates which don't really get to low income earners. Maybe the minimum wage compared to home/rent price? I'll have to look that up.

  8. #68
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by John.NoseTip View Post
    Well yeah. There's labor and where you live. 25k might be a decent living in Meridian MS but Boston MA not so decent. What's a fair minimum wage for the nation? I don't know that's part of the reason I was asking. There has to be some metric that indicates if it is high or low compared to historical rates. The only numbers I really look at are median household income, gdp and tax rates which don't really get to low income earners. Maybe the minimum wage compared to home/rent price? I'll have to look that up.
    You make a point I've actually touched on before: Why should we base minimum wages (or hell, even tax rates) on some nationalized ideal of averages? There should be a regional consideration of COL when structuring minimum wages. States are allowed to go above the federal minimum wage, so we already have a moderately effective means of balancing the imbalance, but I'm not sure we're implementing these policies in the best way possible.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    No, I don't.

    There's a reason increases to minimum wage are relatively slow and staggered. A massive jump in the minimum wage would likely result in a massive jump in inflation. Going from a federal rate of $7.35 or whatever to a rate of $20 at the snap of a finger would be disastrous.
    That's theory only. No one can predict what the economy can and will do in any given circumstance.

    I believe differently. I believe it would help get us out of this depresion by creating more jobs to fill the need for consumer demand. The filthy
    rich do not add to the GNP because of the numbers factor. The rich only help to drive up the price of gold, which causes inflation. Gold does nothing for an economy other than depress it. IMHO

  10. #70
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    That's theory only. No one can predict what the economy can and will do in any given circumstance.

    I believe differently. I believe it would help get us out of this depresion by creating more jobs to fill the need for consumer demand. The filthy
    rich do not add to the GNP because of the numbers factor. The rich only help to drive up the price of gold, which causes inflation. Gold does nothing for an economy other than depress it. IMHO
    Raising the minimum wage so drastically won't create jobs. It will kill them. Employers would immediately begin lay-offs and raise prices, nullifying the effects of the pay increase.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •