Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 81

Thread: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

  1. #21
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And create even more unemployment and insure the mega-corporations are the only ones that can afford to survive. How awesome is that?!?
    Mega-Corps are the only ones that can afford to survive currently. In fact, the system has been rigged in that favor. Robama will do no different than Obamny.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #22
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's like this: the guy that has a lawn maintanance business and 5 employees can't afford to pay them $20 per hour.
    No, it's that they'd rather pay 1950's wages and always bitch about how much more it costs now than compared to long ago. And because he wants to pay them so little, the only ones willing to do the work are mostly illegal immigrants, so he hires those. And all the people bitching about illegal immigrants and blah blah blah tend to use products which encourages the undercutting of American jobs and subsidizing instead with illegal immigrant labor. Thanks.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #23
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, it's that they'd rather pay 1950's wages and always bitch about how much more it costs now than compared to long ago. And because he wants to pay them so little, the only ones willing to do the work are mostly illegal immigrants, so he hires those. And all the people bitching about illegal immigrants and blah blah blah tend to use products which encourages the undercutting of American jobs and subsidizing instead with illegal immigrant labor. Thanks.
    It's more complicated than that. My boyfriend's father runs a lawn care company. He's one of probably 100 lawn care companies in his immediate area and they are all constantly competing with one another for business. He works right along side his crew and in order to pay his modest mortgage and maintain his equipment he's got very real limits on what he can pay his employees. $20/hour would put him out of business because he'd never be able to compete with the other companies in the area. Would you pay somebody $50 to mow your front lawn while another guy trims your bushes? 'Cause to make any money at all on the job, that's about what he'd have to charge you..and that $10 would likely not allow him to break even in the long run.

    Consumers will kick your ass out the minute your costs rise, especially in such a highly competitive field. You have no choice but to keep costs low...so where do you sacrifice? Broken/old/inefficient equipment? Salaries? Give up the house so you can pay slightly less every month in rent vs. your mortgage? Get rid of your (incredibly limited) health insurance policies? Hire fewer people, making the people you have work more? And he doesn't even pay his guys "badly", he just can't reasonably afford to pay them $20 and expect to stay in business. Even if it were law and every other company raised their prices in line with his, he'd still lose business because people wouldn't want to pay or couldn't afford to pay for the service anymore.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #24
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    It's more complicated than that. My boyfriend's father runs a lawn care company. He's one of probably 100 lawn care companies in his immediate area and they are all constantly competing with one another for business. He works right along side his crew and in order to pay his modest mortgage and maintain his equipment he's got very real limits on what he can pay his employees. $20/hour would put him out of business because he'd never be able to compete with the other companies in the area. Would you pay somebody $50 to mow your front lawn while another guy trims your bushes? 'Cause to make any money at all on the job, that's about what he'd have to charge you..and that $10 would likely not allow him to break even in the long run.

    Consumers will kick your ass out the minute your costs rise, especially in such a highly competitive field. You have no choice but to keep costs low...so where do you sacrifice? Broken/old/inefficient equipment? Salaries? Give up the house so you can pay slightly less every month in rent vs. your mortgage? Get rid of your (incredibly limited) health insurance policies? Hire fewer people, making the people you have work more? And he doesn't even pay his guys "badly", he just can't reasonably afford to pay them $20 and expect to stay in business. Even if it were law and every other company raised their prices in line with his, he'd still lose business because people wouldn't want to pay or couldn't afford to pay for the service anymore.
    You mean live within one's means and realize the result of the actual market? Gasp...never! We should subsidize instead through decreased labor laws and regulations!

    Pfft, federal minimum wage is under 8 bucks these days. They could probably even pay 10/hr and maintain business. And if they can't, then that's market forces at work. 50 bucks to mow my lawn and cut my hedges? Depends on how big my yard is and how many bushes; but I may. I could see a 100/month bimonthly lawn service or something of the sort. Cheaper than cable. And tell them to come back in the winter and shovel my driveway too.

    Inflation being as it is along with cost of living and increase in labor regulation, we aren't going to pay 1950's prices for the service either. And this is where the rub really lies because the market forces will pick who can provide cheaper service and those willing to utilize illegal immigrants will be able to do such and until we consume with intelligence, we ourselves are choosing to subsidize some amount of price with illegal immigrants. So maybe we force these changes, and maybe some of these lawn care companies go out of business, perchance there are too many as is and only exist because they can currently subsidize out of illegal labor. Proper regulation will cause the market to equilibrium about a sustainable point, and that may mean slightly higher consumer prices and 50 lawn care companies in the immediate area.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #25
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    They will lower profits and sell the jet rather than go out of business.

    funny thing is, they "could not afford" having a min wage at all.........100 years ago. With record profits on WS, its time to have $20 hr min wage. (say $15 for out side citys)
    Take your argument, when you force the minimum wage up, who pays? The consumer pays a higher price for everything, now tell me as an employee that makes over minimum wage where are you going to get the money to pay the higher prices to pay for a higher minimum wage? Because your employer doesn't have to give you nothing.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  6. #26
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, it's that they'd rather pay 1950's wages and always bitch about how much more it costs now than compared to long ago. And because he wants to pay them so little, the only ones willing to do the work are mostly illegal immigrants,t so he hires those. And all the people bitching about illegal immigrants and blah blah blah tend to use products which encourages the undercutting of American jobs and subsidizing instead with illegal immigrant labor. Thanks.
    Workers get paid what they're worth based on what the company can afford. More government regulation and higher taxes infringe on that ability to pay them what they can afford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Workers get paid what they're worth based on what the company can afford. More government regulation and higher taxes infringe on that ability to pay them what they can afford.
    So you want slave labor then. Which is essentially what you get with illegal labor. Well I guess we know what side you come down on. If the company cannot make enough profit to afford workable wages, then perhaps that company shouldn't exist in the first place, yes? Free market and all, though I fear some of y'all say it but don't really understand what it means.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #28
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So you want slave labor then. Which is essentially what you get with illegal labor. Well I guess we know what side you come down on. If the company cannot make enough profit to afford workable wages, then perhaps that company shouldn't exist in the first place, yes? Free market and all, though I fear some of y'all say it but don't really understand what it means.
    You automatically assume that people who don't pay ridiculous high wages are automatically paying wages below minimum wage? For all the braggart posts about intellect I find your last two relatively dense.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You automatically assume that people who don't pay ridiculous high wages are automatically paying wages below minimum wage? For all the braggart posts about intellect I find your last two relatively dense.
    And if ad homs are they only way you can debate, it says a lot about yourself as well.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Food Stamp Use Climbs To Record, Reviving Campaign Issue [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And if ad homs are they only way you can debate, it says a lot about yourself as well.
    Ad hom would imply I'd done something more than attack the absolute asinine assumptions of your posts.

    And I didn't.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •