Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 214

Thread: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 presidential

  1. #31
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    I don't think it's an odd question at all. If you're saying students will be disenfranchised, but they MUST necessarily have IDs in order to be students, then what disenfranchises them?

    I needed to show an ID when I registered for college, but that was awhile ago.
    I can bet you that many college students do not have any type of photo ID.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  2. #32
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,130

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Selective reading, my friend.
    Do "minority, handicapped and elderly voters who don't normally maintain driver's licenses" ever cash checks or use a credit card? Do they make purchases of cigarettes, alcohol, or pornography? Do they literally have no situations in their lives that require the use of ID in any way?

    Further, why is it only the minorities, elderly, and students who are discriminated against? What about the white, middle-aged males who don't drive?

    In short, it's not a specific demographic that is "discriminated" against, if you can even use that word. Life in this country is exponentially harder without photo ID, and photo ID is ridiculously easy to obtain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Do you not think the poor, elderly and students are less likely than the rest of the population to have:
    1) A driver's license
    2) A passport

    ???
    You are intentionally leaving off just regular old photo ID cards, issued by the same agency that issues drivers licenses. But that's really beside the point.

    The poor - if they qualify for programs such as food stamps or welfare... don't they need photo ID to obtain those entitlements?

    The elderly - they may not be eligible to drive anymore, or maybe never drove in the first place, but do they claim social security benefits? Don't they need photo ID for that? If they are Medicare consumers, don't they need photo ID at the hospital?

    Students - assuming they do not drive, which is a vast minority of them, do they not have to cash checks, either from school aid, student loans, or mommy and daddy? And don't they have to have ID to enroll in school? Don't they have to have a state issued photo ID to get their school issued ID? I had to show my driver's license to get both my student ID and my parking pass. Mind you, they weren't checking to see if I was an eligible driver, they were checking to see if I was who I said I was so I could get the pass, because the pass is included in the price of tuition. Back when I had two cars, I was never ID'd for my second pass; it was simply a $10 fee.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  3. #33
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,130

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I can bet you that many college students do not have any type of photo ID.
    Using your same requirement of proof, I can bet you that a vast majority, if not ALL of them do.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  4. #34
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    That is a whack load of people compared to the proven cases of voter fraud since 2000.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  5. #35
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    What you've admitted to is disenfranchising people, that's the end of your argument right there. You don't get to decide under our system who's worthy of being able to vote.
    No, my dear, I am addressing the ridiculous argument that getting a photo i.d. is some kind of burden. It's not. The only people I want voting are citizens of the United States of America who are old enough to vote. A photo i.d. goes a long way toward insuring that happens.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #36
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Using your same requirement of proof, I can bet you that a vast majority, if not ALL of them do.
    I hope you're not a gambling man.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #37
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I can bet you that many college students do not have any type of photo ID.
    Not even a student ID??
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    No, my dear, I am addressing the ridiculous argument that getting a photo i.d. is some kind of burden. It's not. The only people I want voting are citizens of the United States of America who are old enough to vote. A photo i.d. goes a long way toward insuring that happens.
    We've already shown that only citizens are voting, so why are we trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist? Even if its not a burden at all to anyone, why the hell are we wasting time on fixing a problem that doesn't exist!

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    We've already shown that only citizens are voting, so why are we trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist? Even if its not a burden at all to anyone, why the hell are we wasting time on fixing a problem that doesn't exist!
    There is only one way to know that only citizens are voting and that is with voter ID. A free and fair vote is the foundation this country sits on and just like a house is only going to last as long as it's foundation is sound this country is only going to last as long as it's foundation is sound. It is imperative that we insure only citizens vote no matter what the cost.

  10. #40
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Do "minority, handicapped and elderly voters who don't normally maintain driver's licenses" ever cash checks or use a credit card? Do they make purchases of cigarettes, alcohol, or pornography? Do they literally have no situations in their lives that require the use of ID in any way?
    People can buy smokes, porn and booze without the need for ID. And yes, they literally have no situations in their lives that require the use of PHOTO ID. (not sure why you omitted the word photo since that is the crux of the matter)



    Further, why is it only the minorities, elderly, and students who are discriminated against? What about the white, middle-aged males who don't drive?
    Never said that. But the odds are in favour of the former to be photo ID-less. That is fact.

    In short, it's not a specific demographic that is "discriminated" against, if you can even use that word. Life in this country is exponentially harder without photo ID, and photo ID is ridiculously easy to obtain.
    I would not use the word discrimination. I think targeted is more appropriate. And in our daily lives, I agree that photo ID is fairly necessary. Now try to put yourself in the shoes of someone who regularly eats cat food and ramen noodles for dinner and get back to me.


    The poor - if they qualify for programs such as food stamps or welfare... don't they need photo ID to obtain those entitlements?

    The elderly - they may not be eligible to drive anymore, or maybe never drove in the first place, but do they claim social security benefits? Don't they need photo ID for that? If they are Medicare consumers, don't they need photo ID at the hospital?

    Students - assuming they do not drive, which is a vast minority of them, do they not have to cash checks, either from school aid, student loans, or mommy and daddy? And don't they have to have ID to enroll in school? Don't they have to have a state issued photo ID to get their school issued ID? I had to show my driver's license to get both my student ID and my parking pass. Mind you, they weren't checking to see if I was an eligible driver, they were checking to see if I was who I said I was so I could get the pass, because the pass is included in the price of tuition. Back when I had two cars, I was never ID'd for my second pass; it was simply a $10 fee.
    I dunno. But what I do know is that approx. 15% of Americans do not possess photo ID. That is fact, Jack.
    Voter ID | Brennan Center for Justice
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •